Explain the air-bounce

Let us know what you want to see on the forum, or on the main website.

Explain the air-bounce

Postby Captain » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:24 am

We've all seen shots that air-bounce (It's those shots that start out real low and suddenly "bounce" high into the air about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through the flight. For any you rooks who don't know what I'm talking about.)

I've seem 'em. I know when I throw one. Someone explain the science/physics behind it.
Captain

Re: Explain the air-bounce

Postby Cydisc » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Captain wrote:We've all seen shots that air-bounce (It's those shots that start out real low and suddenly "bounce" high into the air about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through the flight. For any you rooks who don't know what I'm talking about.)

I've seem 'em. I know when I throw one. Someone explain the science/physics behind it.

I've thrown this often on upshots. It's very useful when you want to lag your shot close to the basket from a distance that's outside your putting range.

It's basically a nose-up stall shot that you put a little down motion on your throw. The "bounce" effect comes from the back swing position being at slightly higher than normal, the release being lower than normal and then the disc rising into the air from its nose-up attitude. If anyone has seen Ryan Hesseltine throw, he does this on his normal drives.
Cydisc

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:59 pm

thermals
##39027
ghstinshll

Return to Suggestions