course history listing

Let us know what you want to see on the forum, or on the main website.

course history listing

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:04 am

I'm suggesting a course history listing. Chronological by install date, including both current and pulled courses.

I think TJ(?) had a pretty good start on this at one time, but I can't find it on his domain.

I really find it a fascinating bit of history. But maybe I'm a dork.

It's really a simple spreadsheet to throw together, and to maintain. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Getting/remembering the old data is the tricky part.

The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be.
grodney

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Oh wait, I found Tj's Old List.

If somebody wants to grab it to take on ths project, I have copied the data to a spreadsheet, and placed it on my server. I would suggest getting the spreadsheet, then starting a thread for people to submit updates/corrections.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:46 pm

I've grabbed it and started filling in info that I know. Plus adding the courses that are new and pending.

Plus adding a column for years of major renovation.

Plus adding a column for number of holes.

More additions as I think of them...
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:19 pm

Year renovated is nice. Altoonass, Walnut, some course in Waterloo I've never played, Newton/Turkey/Osky upgrade to 18, etc.
grodney

Postby Clue » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:36 pm

Would you two quit whining about Margo again?
Clue

Postby dx pete » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:16 am

yo historians- there is a "course" in Dysart, Iowa that I am curious about. There are only about 500 people there and Dysart is not really close to anything (its 45 mins NNW of W'loo). And, the "course" is only three baskets (which are in good condition but old) set about 85' apart in a triangle with no visible teepads. The only reason I know about this is because my wife's grandparents live across from the city park that holds this archaic disc golf anomoly. The locals had no idea what the baskets were for until I visited about 8 years ago. Just wondering if maybe a disc golfer from back in the day made Dysart their home. Oh by the way it is listed on the PDGA course listing.
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby Birdman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:37 am

i played that course last spring...its not horrible....its kinda fun too...they natives in the area prolly thought we were wierd with our big bags....i like the goofy layout using the 3 baskets 3 times though...clever way to get a cheaper 9 holer
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby irban » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:10 am

Are we still trying to decide if Rodney is a dork?

Actually, I like this idea too. My pet course, Keokuk Rand Park has been in the ground since the early 80's as well. I recall playing there on my early visits to my future inlaws, and I met my wife in 1979. I think I heard that Hedrick had a hand in the design. I will see what I can uncover.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:50 am

K, how is that list shaping up? And don't say "pilates".
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:09 am

grodney wrote:K, how is that list shaping up? And don't say "pilates".

Info is *trickling* in. However, I talked to Becky Z last Friday and she has some old newsletters that may have some course info embedded within.
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:54 am

Hey K, Google just added a "publish" feature to their spreadsheets, so you can give a public URL to a spreadsheet. I *think* this makes it so anybody can look at a spreadsheet without having to have a Google account. So when you get closer to having this done, I could put it back on Google and we could publish the URL here. Or whatever.

This beats cutting and pasting the list into a post, as you can just make updates to the Google version and any old links to it would then see the updated stuff. Of course you'd probably also want to keep your own copy just in case Google every goes away or their system trashes the spreadsheet.
grodney

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:00 am

Here's the original in Google Spreadsheets.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pccx8GZHxdemyZ9eQmn1vEg

Can somebody let me know if you can see that without having to sign up for a Google Account or anything like that? Thanks.
grodney

Postby Joe Cool » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:14 am

Your link took me right to it and I don’t use Google for anything but searches.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby grodney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks Joe.
grodney

Postby flyinplastic23 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:06 pm

dx pete wrote:yo historians- there is a "course" in Dysart, Iowa that I am curious about. There are only about 500 people there and Dysart is not really close to anything (its 45 mins NNW of W'loo). And, the "course" is only three baskets (which are in good condition but old) set about 85' apart in a triangle with no visible teepads. The only reason I know about this is because my wife's grandparents live across from the city park that holds this archaic disc golf anomoly. The locals had no idea what the baskets were for until I visited about 8 years ago. Just wondering if maybe a disc golfer from back in the day made Dysart their home. Oh by the way it is listed on the PDGA course listing.

that sounds made up.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Next

Return to Suggestions