New course possibilities in CR

Moderator: peyton

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm

anybody ever been out to morgan creek off of stoney point road? i don't know how big that park is but i bet it could hold 18 holes.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:06 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:anybody ever been out to morgan creek off of stoney point road? i don't know how big that park is but i bet it could hold 18 holes.

I think that was looked into a decade or so ago Greco but was shot down, can't quite remember why now. The culture has changed some about discgolf since then, maybe it's worth another try? It is a Linn county park so the city would not be involved....would be a nice park to play in though.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 pm

230 acres so there has to be room. I'll give Daniel a call next week once he calms down from RAGBRIA. Wish we had the land access that QC has. It would also be nice to convince one of the golf courses to install one.
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:21 pm

AO wrote:230 acres so there has to be room. I'll give Daniel a call next week once he calms down from RAGBRIA. Wish we had the land access that QC has. It would also be nice to convince one of the golf courses to install one.
Its a Linn County Park.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 pm

im still hoping for a different CO park in the NE side that i caught a small bite from the Brass last winter. maybe we could fanagle a temp course for next yr's "bog show"... but odds are against us.
Abe Froman

Postby Crager » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 am

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:
3x state champ runner up wrote:anybody ever been out to morgan creek off of stoney point road? i don't know how big that park is but i bet it could hold 18 holes.

I think that was looked into a decade or so ago Greco but was shot down, can't quite remember why now. The culture has changed some about discgolf since then, maybe it's worth another try? It is a Linn county park so the city would not be involved....would be a nice park to play in though.

We had a excellent presentation to Linn Co. parks about setting up a course at Morgan Creek about 12 years ago. Was shot down when the ranger was concerned that it would bring more people to the park. That's right discourage people from using the parks so they can sit on their couches and veg. :roll:
Crager

Postby tufluk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:30 am

That would be true only in public service (service?). Set policy to make your own job easy at the expense of your clients.
Imagine a 7-11 owner saying, "I don't want to put in a slurrpy machine, that would bring in too many customers".

What the ranger could have meant is disc golf could bring more of "the wrong kind" of people to the park. Everyone knows disc golfers are undesireable.
tufluk

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 pm

tufluk wrote:Everyone knows disc golfers are undesireable.

have they seen doug Peyton? tell that to trish!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby hyzerman16234 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm

tufluk wrote:That would be true only in public service (service?). Set policy to make your own job easy at the expense of your clients.
Imagine a 7-11 owner saying, "I don't want to put in a slurrpy machine, that would bring in too many customers".

What the ranger could have meant is disc golf could bring more of "the wrong kind" of people to the park. Everyone knows disc golfers are undesireable.

I could see why some parks might not want a course. The trash that idiots throw around etc. If all courses had a committed crew that kept the place looking good then that problem would be less of an issue. Another thing is that most damage to equipment and signs is either non discer's or those that might have just started and aren't "hooked" yet. As we older disc golfers have increased in numbers the image has improved.
hyzerman16234

Postby robizm » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 pm

I run alot on the morgan creek trail and there is nice looking land around there....just 'feels' like a course could be there..

and it does suck watching the litter that goes on (such as my round @ Jones last night) and then you say something and they look @ you like your talking in arabic
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby Detra319 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 am

why does everyone really act like trash is a huge deal? there is trash everwhere in cr where there arent trash cans...alot of the busy non disc golf parks in town, like bever for example, are dirty as hell. Per foot traffic disc golfers arent any worse than any other breed. Go walk around a high school sometime, its much worse than jones with its 3 trash cans...
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby brox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:37 am

Approximately when Morgan Creek was discussed they still had open quarries surrounding it. These have since been closed, it might be worth a shot to talk to the land owners of the now closed quarries. There might be safety issues however it's a lot of land and no one uses it.
It could be something that includes part of the quarry, the walking trail and the playground/group camping area.
There are already trails thru the woods that, could ideally make for a nice wood/open course. It's worth a shot.
However the ranger (who lives on site) is who you are going to have to win over, first. The city is going to look for his input over anything.

Shawnee is a way cool and hardly used park. I know I go sledding there once a year or so with the family, but whenever I am there it's empty. I can't see how if something was worked out with the pins being removed from late october to early march why it would be a problem. However it's getting the support from the people in charge..

Ellis park? Not sure on this, the areas that would be great for it, aren't going to work. Either it be overlapping the golf course, playgrounds, other bs.

I would honestly talk to city about the land behind the geese pond across the street from Ellis (as your going to the houseboats take a left and there's a large gate). It's a maintenance route for the city's wells. It is used for nothing right now and it's half open/ half wooded with water on each side. It if nothing else is a place hardly if ever used and we wouldn't be stepping on peoples toes, and it will never be developed.

As far as P2P? If the course is good enough sure. However I am not paying you $1 to play Jones or Faye Clark, not hating just saying. I would however gladly pay $3 daily (or xx yearly) for wildcat.

However I for one, want to see my money doing something. If it's not maintained, updated or challenging, what's the point? I already throw enough money away for things I don't see a positive impact for..
brox

Previous

Return to Cedar Rapids Club