Club meeting 1/26/10

Moderator: peyton

Postby robizm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Dustin ,

I tried pm'ing you but the site keeps giving me errors. What is your email and I will shoot you my info and what I can bring to the table.

I like Eastern Iowa DGC - its generic but serves its purpose well
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

rob got all 3 of your messages. I lumped you under "course maintenance" and "fundrasing"
Nohr

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:16 pm

porkchop wrote:I'm a fan of the Corridor Disc Golf Club, but only if Iowa City is part of the Club. And by the looks of things I doubt that is the case, seeing how IC already has a organized group that takes care of their courses, fundraising, and such. This Club looks as if it will be for the Greater Cedar Rapids Metro Area.

ic isn't set up like an "organization" aka 503 b,c or d filed. i'm under the impression that it's set up the same way bw's is, and account in my name used for league funds except in harper's name. ya feel me?
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Single L » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree, but I don't necessarily think that in order to be a Club or organization you have to have 503c status (if it wasn’t for running Worlds I doubt DSM would be one); you just need to have an "organized group" that meets goals for a particular cause. Which is exactly what's happens in IC and not in CR. So in that case I would say they are a Club/Organization. I'm not saying that CR and IC can't or shouldn't join together as a Club, but with IC already taking care of their courses and such, I don't see a reason they would want more on their plate.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm

i totally understand, but in the state of iowa's eyes, probably not.

i beleive it also helps when asking for funds or donations that way you can offer tax deductability as an added bonus on top of handing over dollar bills to me!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm

porkchop wrote:I don't see a reason they would want more on their plate.

i don't know, stibs is a hungry fellow
3x state champ runner up

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Decision time people.
The Starlight meeting room is booked up on Tuesday the 9th which was the date we were next to meet.
I have booked the room for this coming Tuesday, the 2nd but if that is too soon, the 16th is also open.
Let me know if it needs changed or does anyone have another place to meet?
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Captain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:07 pm

greco19536 wrote:
porkchop wrote:I don't see a reason they would want more on their plate.

i don't know, stibs is a hungry fellow

Happy to help with a major project or with talking with the city, but no, I don't want more things to do. Have enough to do here and still try and play.

I can see why DSM would want 503c status, but as we don't run any events in which there is added cash, it's not something I think IC needs to explore. Donations to Peninsula were tax deductible, but those donations were made to the City of Iowa City, not to ICDGL.
Captain

Postby Detra319 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Ok so are we going for a council of 5 or are we going to do the 5 positions that we discussed?

If we are doing a council of 5, is there going to be one of the 5 who is the head? Or is everyone equal?

If we do the 5 positions, what are they going to be?
Detra319

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

My personal preference for club structure is:

1.) President or Club Leader
2.) Vice President or Asst. Club Leader
3.) Secretary
4.) Treasurer
5.) Membership Director
6.) Publicity Director
7.) Technology Director
8.) Course Director
9.) League/Tournament Director

Each director will have a goup dedicated to that "cause" be it new membership growth or course maintenance etc.
The president and VP oversee operations but can still be involved in any area too.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:18 pm

greco19536 wrote:i totally understand, but in the state of iowa's eyes, probably not.

i beleive it also helps when asking for funds or donations that way you can offer tax deductability as an added bonus on top of handing over dollar bills to me!

This is more of a long term goal. Even if we did all the paperwork ourselves there would still be filling fees and such.

We have:
A bunch of people that are interested in helping

We need:
A name
Elected Leadership

---------------------------------
Decision time people.
The Starlight meeting room is booked up on Tuesday the 9th which was the date we were next to meet.
I have booked the room for this coming Tuesday, the 2nd but if that is too soon, the 16th is also open.
Let me know if it needs changed or does anyone have another place to meet?

Next tuesday is to soon in my book. If anyone works at a bar/restaurant ask around if the place would be open to having a 15-20 top show up for around a couple hours and just drink. I know most restaurants would not be happy taking up that much space and us not spending that much.

-----------------------------------

One thing we as a group should work on is keeping our meetings short. It is hard most of us are all friends. All of us can tell cool stories. Last meeting was good but I could have seen it going on for days. I know come summer people aren't going to want to sit in a meeting for hours they are going to want to get outside.

I see the same thing at work. If you don't have someone being anal keeping everyone on task it takes so long.

-----------------------------------
Nohr

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:07 pm

I envision, once the club is situated, monthly meetings being more task friendly. The order of business will be more defined with mainly the board members conducting the business at hand. Of course, that doesn't mean club members are not allowed, they should be especially if there is some major things to talk about, but the leaders were put there to lead / run the club and should be given the space to do so. Once the tasks or projects have been discussed, each elected leader will communicate to the people involved with their projects and direct them to completion.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby hyzerman16234 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Man wouldn't a club house be nice. Who's single with a big basement? I think there's a number of bar's around town that have room's. Shuey's does and it rarely get's used, but it's a little south for most people. The room hold's around 60 though and the food is good. Plus I know a guy that bar tends there.
hyzerman16234

Postby AO » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Deanoz is a the a sponsor for Legion of Doom. I can ask if we can use his bar and Deano usually has nightly specials. I'm sure he won't mind.
AO

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:49 am

I am going to call the Starlight and cancel the reservation for Feb. 2nd.
AO, let us know what's up with Deanoz.
If it won't work, I can set up Feb. 16th at the Starlight.

It would really help the club to find a permanent home for meetings.
Someplace that has a good variety of food, a meeting room and potentially a great sponsor of the club, tournaments and disc golf as a whole. Any ideas???
Budhyzer 17696

PreviousNext

Return to Cedar Rapids Club