Tuesday night league for Summer 2007

Moderator: peyton

Tuesday night league for Summer 2007

Postby peyton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:30 am

I am looking for ideas on the format for this league. In the past we have always gone with 4 or 5 person teams. I am interested in getting about 70-80 league members again. It can be 2-3-4 person teams.
peyton

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:19 pm

i loved playing cr league for the first couple of years. excellent competition, fun guys to be around. a couple of things i would change is to know what your handicap is before the round. that way you know exactly what you need to shoot to get the W. i remember not having a clear picture on that. also maybe pay out the first couple of teams at the top at the end of the year party, i wouldn't mind paying more to spread the wealth. even tho it was usually everybody chasing you and your bro for the championship.
Abe Froman

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:19 pm

maybe just handi cap each week, have some more volunteers help with figuring handicaps and printing rankings, etc. I sure if you had a system where you knew what you had to shoot every week you would enjoy it more. I would like toet more involved, too. I liked shooting fsdgl, but the bushwacker format is awesome and that's the way the puffins have went the last few years. I want to play in C.R this year, and I sure there's alot of others from the bushwacker league, and alot of random people who would love to shoot in the fsdgl if the format improved. I still think 4 or 5 man teams is cool, but if there was an even playing field I think it wouldattract alot more players of all skill levels, people who would more or less not think of shooting in a league, thus bringing more support from unlikey palces.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:59 am

The handicap before the round starts is easy. I think what kind of made it tough was the fact that I took the top 4 of the 5 scores. This left to much chance. Waterloo has you pick the 4 players before the round. I think this would help teams know how many strokes they have to give or make up on the front & back. Better competition. I always waited to get three weeks of stats in on a course before setting the handicaps but with three courses you only get maybe one or two weeks with fixed handicaps. I think setting handicaps after the first night will be the way to go.
Thanks for the input. Anymore suggestions?
I think bumping league fees so you have money for a t-shirt and some nightly prizes along with payout at the end of the year is the way to go. I have always tried to by discs from tournaments to give away but with the prices of discs anymore you can't just by 10 hot stamped discs for $100. Maybe get a pizza joint to sponsors a weekly pizza or something along that line.
Also maybe a handicap champion instead of or with a scratch score champion. That way everyone has a chance.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:46 pm

I'm interested in league this upcoming summer, I have not played for several years. I will see if Tony and Clay will like to play. Also interested in payout and willing to pay extra. I can donate lots of prizes from Discraft such as Shirts, Discs, and extras. Let me know if you would like help with anything.

what can a league do?

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:47 am

doug, i think the format is great for the amount of people that come to play in the cr league. the puffins are right that a handicap off of the players averges would make my bushwhacker team more competative against a team of clay, adam, tony, timmy and yourself. up to date stats keeps people happy too. it's amazing, bushwhackers is a team league but everyone loves to see where they sit on the individual rank too, their total strokes, average, weeks and points are all categories that you can look at and see where you sit.

my idea is, i think these leagues need to have a greater goal. build up funds to buy land and build a complex, it can be done. the demand is there and WE (quad cities, des moines, ic, cr, osky) and everyone else should work together as one for that goal. if bushwhackers is that popular, you could have a cr bushwhacker league, a ic one, a qc one, des moines and etc., pile all league dues into one pot, get sponsors and fundraisers and pretty soon you're looking at 100,000.

we should throw a state wide disc golf meeting, what do ya think
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Joining the league

Postby Shep » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:15 pm

I am in my second year of playing disc golf and I would like to join the CR league this spring. I have a few friends that are interested too. How do I join the league. Also, I am willing to help with any maintenance that needs to be done to the courses and if there is anything left to do at the Hiawatha course I would like to help with that.

Austin Shepard
Shep

Postby peyton » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Austin,

I won't have most of the details for league done until maybe around the beginning of March. I will post it in as many places as possible so check here first.

We can always us help with the courses but can't do a whole lot right now. When we start back up I will let you know.

Thanks
peyton

Return to Cedar Rapids Club