Sept 23rd 11am work day at Hiawatha course.

Moderator: peyton

Sept 23rd 11am work day at Hiawatha course.

Postby peyton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:56 pm

We are putting in 17's tee box and working on a wall for a pin placement. We may also be putting a different type pin placement with a man hole concrete thing. You will have to see it, I can't explain it. We are also looking for a way to drill a hole into a rather large rock to put a sleeve in. Ideas are welcome. See ya then. thanks
peyton

Postby Single L » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:11 pm

When I installed Industrial Garage Doors we had to do projects like this all the time (on concrete not rocks).

You will need a Rotary Hammer Drill.
You will need to use a Carbide Tipped Core Bit. They are used to create large holes. You will also need a chisel bit to blow out the core.

The cup of the bit will only drill about 3" deep. At that depth, the bit is removed from the hole, the core busted out with chisle and removed, and then the bit is reinserted. Repeat until you reach the wanted depth (18 inches for DGA sleeve).

The bad news, unless the city has one, is that a 5" diameter by 22" deep bit are around $350 dollars and a 4" diameter by 22" deep bit (I don't think a 4" inch bit would allow much room for crete) would be closer to $275. Not cheap, but the most effective way to put a nice clean hole in concrete or a rock w/out cracking it. You may want to ask around to find a concrete dude or company that would donate tools and time for sponsorship on that hole.

This is what a bit looks like.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby peyton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks, I didn't think it would be cheap or easy.
peyton

Postby hyzerman16234 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:09 pm

If I'm hurting your help turn out then I'm sorry Doug. We're doing our fall Wildcat thing this weekend. You should stop out and see the 18. Oh and did you get that disc back that we found on 10.

Hep
hyzerman16234

Postby peyton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:15 pm

Steve,
I knew about Wildcat for this weekend. I will be out Friday night after work around 4pm, looking forward to playing a couple of rounds before nightfall. I did it on Sunday because most of the time you are wrapping it up Sunday am.
Yes, I did get that disc back, thanks. It was a design that I gave Innova and they transfered it onto a disc, so it has some meaning to me.
I have heard nothing but good things about the course and am excited to play it. If it's anything like your baskets, it should be great. See ya Friday.
peyton

Return to Cedar Rapids Club