Leave Shaver alone!

Moderator: peyton

Leave Shaver alone!

Postby hyser » Sun May 27, 2007 10:58 pm

It was built to be a technical course. There are many areas of the Shaver property that are prone to increased erosion and stretching fairway lengths favors only the strong arms. Shaver should not lose more trees!

If you don't like, don't play there!
hyser

Re: Leave Shaver alone!

Postby AO » Mon May 28, 2007 12:24 am

hyser wrote:It was built to be a technical course. There are many areas of the Shaver property that are prone to increased erosion and stretching fairway lengths favors only the strong arms. Shaver should not lose more trees!

If you don't like, don't play there!

Did the course recently loose even more trees?
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon May 28, 2007 8:42 am

There is a sapling gone by the basket of hole 10. Just opens up for aces does not make the hole any easier than it already is. By the way, this is not the place where you would find someone who is cutting done trees to make a hole easier. I think most people on this site prefer a challenge rather than a low score. I would suggest going out there and playing more and reaching out to the teenagers that most likely did this, getting them more involved in the sport , so they will grow to be thankful for the fact that we have this nice"technical" course.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby hyser » Mon May 28, 2007 9:14 am

Many trees have been cut down, broken over to ease play. This has been through the years and not just recently. And no it isn't just the frustrated teens that egg shell a disc. A couple of the devoted pals who helped build the course know some of guys that "manicured" the course.

#3 is minus several trees.
#7 is minus several that now allows a straight shot instead of going between the big trees.
#8 is minus several trees.
#10 was moved back farther in 2000 to make it tougher because a guard tree was cut.
#12 many trees have been cut, mostly pesty saplings.
#13 (gong hole) many trees cut to raise the canopy and allow a straight shot or a tomahawk.
#16 many have been cut, the one by the tee box being a main haggle.
#17 many have been cut, like the ones just forward of the tee box.

I would guess the course has lost 40+ trees since installation.

I'm glad some players are caring for the course. Maybe it is time for a return of the "Halloween Havoc". Anyone want to decorate baskets? The "Gong" will have to be recreated. Special thanks to Craig E. and his Sunday bunch for working with the Parks Dept. and taking the reins on upkeep of the course for trying to keep the course/park clean. I would hope they could assist in the tournament coordination and preparation.
hyser

Postby GDL17921 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:54 pm

40+ trees since prior to 2000? That's it? That's gotta be some kind of record. It's a forest, and I think that you're seriously underestimating. I bet you lost 40,000 limbs and branches out there just during the ice storm earlier this year. Courses evolve, along with disc technology. And what Frog said is true, I can't think of any helmets on here aside from Marty67 that post on this disc golf forum and don't understand the "leave 'em be" philosophy. You're barking up the wrong tree, pun intended.

As far as Halloween Havoc, I was there back in 2000. My partner and I won the grand door prize which I still possess---two sweet home-made mini baskets. If this tourney ever comes back, I'll bring 'em for ole times sake. Maybe you, Hyser, can help make this happen. Things don't usually come to fruition when you post on a forum that maybe somebody else will.
GDL17921

Postby hyser » Mon May 28, 2007 9:30 pm

In regard to trees, I was referring to intentional butchering.

Hope you like the minis. Were you part of the "Scooby Jews"?

For this event the course must be tidied up a bit, signs cleaned, wood chips spread and a new "gong" has to be made. Remember the barrel lid with a ghost on it that said "hit me"? After Sunday's play we played bombardment with minis in the Mohawk pavilion. It was fun, I still have pictures. The volunteers who helped so much (40+ hours) in the construction phase would get in HH07 without charge.

I would only put my name on a course that looks right. Have to get a new Cadillac emblem for #4 also in remembrance of the day Bitchin' and I discovered the car next to the tee pad during construction. Didn't hit a tree either.
hyser

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:51 am

hyser wrote:Hope you like the minis. Were you part of the "Scooby Jews"?

no, Jeff and John were part of the quad city domination that actually played well. My and my partner's prize was random. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby AngelaT » Tue May 29, 2007 6:07 pm

OMG ~ I was at that tourney! It was too much fun playing dodgeball with minis afterwards! Man, that tourney was so much fun! Bring it back for sure! The Blair Witch hole...the big bat stretched out behind hole 7 (I think it was). I think I brought that... lol. Oh the gong! I have one of the homemade mini baskets...gave one to my brother too and he still has it set up in his basement! I still have my hunter orange long sleeve shirt and my trophy too. But who did I play with ???

:D :lol: :wink:
Good times.
Innova Team Champion www.innovadiscs.com * Team Huk Lab www.huklab.com *
Disc-Diva...You wish you threw like a girl! www.disc-diva.com *
Widye "Sick Dyes!" www.widye.com * Team IRON LION www.ironliondgs.com
AngelaT

Postby GDL17921 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:21 am

that's easy. John Clark. :lol:
GDL17921

Mini baskets

Postby hyzerman16234 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:27 pm

I can arrange a 9 hole mini course and we could incorporate it into the tourney. We use them at wildcat and it's a blast.

Hep
hyzerman16234

Postby AO » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am

Just played at Shaver yesterday and noticed someone cut out the key left tree off the tee on hole 13. That fairway is getting bigger all the time. Maybe move the basket back even further. Also, was wondering if we could move hole #7 tee pad, have it on flat ground and actually have it point in the direction of the hole? One of the worst holes in Cedar Rapids.
AO

Postby Disc Golf Live » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:53 am

On a few holes here at my local course, they've taken to "planting" a nice solid trunk of a dead tree (10 - 15" diameter) in places where Mo Nature's trees have bitten the dust (or been axed by knuckleheads). It works out nicely, plugging up gaps where the fairway is growing too wide etc. Not too hard of a job with the right equipment, and such a "planting" would also work well in protecting a new planting of a live tree.

AO, sorry you missed the GLO.

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:19 pm

I believe that tee pad used to point at the old pin placement
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Captain » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:23 pm

I would love to see the right side of #14's fairway get trimmed up. Too many branches growing in the fairway.

When is the wood chip pile going to disappear?

Someone organize a work day and I'll help for sure.
Captain

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Im busy this week and weekend but what about next week end work day?
frogawitdafizzle

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club