Rude League Player

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

Postby irban » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 am

cigarguy16 wrote:I was at Exchange Monday for League. I saw rec players out there, in fact my group let a pair play through (our suggestion in fact as there was only 2 of them to our 4). I don't get the post of "League Jerks" as my experience is most league players aren't, in fact they seem to be the opposite to rec players. When we play League at Tourist, the course is overrun by rec players but everyone just plays and gets along. Deerwood doesn't see as much public but there are still some out there on League nights but again everyone just plays. Sorry your brother had a bad experience with someone from the BHMDGL, it's not the norm.

Ahhh, voice of reason.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5238
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Skitzo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:58 pm

LOOTOWNDISKR wrote:I dont think we have a right to be the only ones on the course i just think we have a right to inform people. It sounds like someone took it personal and told their big brother who posted league jerks wich in itself a stereotype of all of us. We have interactions with people all the time and this is the first i have seen anything of the sort so we must not feel that entitled. I think if I went to play and forty eight people were about to tee off i would get the picture but i guess not everyone is the same.


YES he took it personal because these guys were dicks and NOBODY REC or LEAGUE should be treated this way when out to play a simple round of golf, League night or not. Yes he did tell big brother and big brother got upset so wanted to inform the leauge that this happened.

If you read my posts I said this is not a direct stab at the league as a whole just a few LEAGUE JERKS.

If I went to a 27 hole course with 48 people spread out on 16 holes (given they were 3 per hole) I would say ok Ill go start on one of the other 11 holes and not cause a prob.

Thank you,
Richard Roberts
User avatar
Skitzo
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:15 pm

HEY DICK when you post the title league jerks its a pretty blanket statement. and you talk as if you witnessd the whole thing go down. wich neither one of us did. it is pretty much all hear say at this point because the story you tell is much different then the one i heard from a guy in the group. but hey next time i am around one of our league players i will make sure no one gets offended but unless your directly involved or have a camera to show the rest of us what really happnd lets just get over it. dont beleive anything you hear and half of what you see is my motto and it works for me.
LOOTOWNDISKR
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Postby shane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 pm

LOOTOWNDISKR wrote:HEY DICK when you post the title league jerks its a pretty blanket statement. and you talk as if you witnessd the whole thing go down. wich neither one of us did. it is pretty much all hear say at this point because the story you tell is much different then the one i heard from a guy in the group. but hey next time i am around one of our league players i will make sure no one gets offended but unless your directly involved or have a camera to show the rest of us what really happnd lets just get over it. dont beleive anything you hear and half of what you see is my motto and it works for me.


I'm starting to believe is brother might of had some trouble out there. :wink:
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Des Moines

Postby Skitzo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 pm

LOOTOWNDISKR wrote:HEY DICK when you post the title league jerks its a pretty blanket statement. and you talk as if you witnessd the whole thing go down. wich neither one of us did. it is pretty much all hear say at this point because the story you tell is much different then the one i heard from a guy in the group. but hey next time i am around one of our league players i will make sure no one gets offended but unless your directly involved or have a camera to show the rest of us what really happnd lets just get over it. dont beleive anything you hear and half of what you see is my motto and it works for me.



I apologize to all BHMDGL members who took offense to the League Jerks topic on your page, it was not my intentions. I will send a PM to your moderator to change the name as it is harsh and blanket to all of you.

LOOTOWN, I appreciate the courtesy to others in helping make sure this doesn't happen again. You sir are the same way as 99% of us disc golfers are but that 1% is what I was referring to.

It's all here say so well just leave it as that.

Nice one pulling out the DICK card, I haven't got that one b4. haha jk
User avatar
Skitzo
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:42 pm

I should have sat and thought about what i was going to post before i hit the submit button. i understand completely how you feel and respect your loyalty to your brother. i would rather you say somethn then just let it go. pretty much everyone has heard about this in league and those who havnt will Monday. its just those of us who try and treat people with respect will take offense to it. i try and help any one i see one the course. actually today i seen a 50 somthn year old lady with discs in an old navy bag just chuckn to her hearts content its moments like those that make me think im not the only crazy one. but i beleive this thread has moved on to bigger and bettr things. ps i seen the Richard Roberts and i couldnt help my sorry self :lol: :twisted: :lol:
LOOTOWNDISKR
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Really?

Postby THRO2NV » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 am

What I can and will say is that of all the league players, probably less than 10% read this board and 95% of league members are not rude to rec players....but...

This whole complaint is like people who complain that somebody was talking or moving AFTER they miss a putt. Say something before...don't complain later.

If you have issue with the league player. Why don't you address them and say "Hey, you don't have to be rude."

I would like to hear to the best of your recall what the person actually said. Offense was taken to this original post, because you did not describe what happened or what was said in enough detail. You just complained to everyone.

Some people are jerks. That's life. I am one, but don't blame everyone because one person pisses you off.
User avatar
THRO2NV
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Cedar Falls, IA

Postby Brock » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Some very interesting reading here folks.
Note to self:
-don't use words in a mass email subject line that might be taken the wrong way by most all BHMDGL members. By the way, they built and maintain the course.
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, the parking lot full at the course you intend to play.
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, large disc bags and people throwing a mile. (well some)
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, groups of four on pretty much every pad.
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, the BHMDGL web site saying league is at the course, on MONDAY @ 6 PM.
-it might be a league night at the course, if someone sez “hey we have league tonight”.
No doubt that we all need to get along but some common sense could be used here “brother”. I do not doubt that little brothers feelings were hurt. Not real sure what was said or not said. In fact, I really don’t care but little brother needs to grow some balls and understand a few things. They are noted above for reference. It is your responsibility as a big brother to give him a clue….
Brock
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:40 pm

hey, one of the league jerks speaks. You might feel entitled cuz you put a course in a public park pal. Let me assure you, you're not entitled. Say somthing else brilliant why don't ya there tater salad. :lol:
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8556
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Postby AO » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:49 pm

The story no longer seems to be far fetched.
AO
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Postby The Donator » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm

AO wrote:The story no longer seems to be far fetched.

No kidding, looks like we may have found the culprit as well
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby DaveS1823 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 pm

When I started our league down here, I was specifically told by our parks board that I could NOT tell someone they couldn't play the course because of league play and I could NOT make people leave the course. Besides, why run someone off when they just might try playing in the league if they see how much fun you're having.
User avatar
DaveS1823
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Postby RoxxStar » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Brock wrote:Some very interesting reading here folks.
Note to self:
-don't use words in a mass email subject line that might be taken the wrong way by most all BHMDGL members. By the way, they built and maintain the course.
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, the parking lot full at the course you intend to play.
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, large disc bags and people throwing a mile. (well some)
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, groups of four on pretty much every pad.
-it might be a league night at the course if you see, the BHMDGL web site saying league is at the course, on MONDAY @ 6 PM.
-it might be a league night at the course, if someone sez “hey we have league tonight”.
No doubt that we all need to get along but some common sense could be used here “brother”. I do not doubt that little brothers feelings were hurt. Not real sure what was said or not said. In fact, I really don’t care but little brother needs to grow some balls and understand a few things. They are noted above for reference. It is your responsibility as a big brother to give him a clue….


We have one confirmed sighting of an elitist dick ... :twisted:
RoxxStar
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:06 am

No this story isnt seeming far fetchd. I talkd to a player in a group that confronted a guy from Cr and he said it wasnt that big of a deal, that it was a simple confrontation. Im thinking that same kid was confronted again by another group of players. Its unfortunate that this happned but truth be told we do have some jerks in our league but they dont make up the majority of players. Out of fourty eight players we have a few more than a handfull of guys who might fit this description. I would like to see some resolution instead of retredding what has already been said. Hey B.H.M.D.G.L. lets quit making ourselves look bad here and on the course. Its time to realize the game is bigger than one individual or league. Rec players are simply what we used to be not to long ago. And making there experience on our course should be a priority as much as anything else we do. I enjoy the criticism on this site and it has helpd me alot with understanding how things are supposed to work.
LOOTOWNDISKR
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Postby Master Lee » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:37 am

Wow! Just read through this thread for the first time. I've been skulking around the disc golf scene since 93. Started playing in Osky. One of my first experiences with tournament/ league players was when I traveled to Des Moines solo to play a round at North Karen Acres (flashback). There I ran in to a group of seasoned players, Steve Nixt in particular. Not only were they courteous but asked if I would like to finish the round with them. I had an awesome time and learned a lot during that round. Even though they were just playing a casual round (not league or a tourney) it was that kind of positive interaction that kept me playing and progressing in to a tournament player. Since then I have gone on to TD over a dozen sanctioned (plus multiple non-sanctioned) tournaments and league director of the BHMDGL for 6 plus years. When I moved to the Cedar Falls/ Waterloo area I ran in to Dev Nelson while playing a casual round and he told me about league. After subbing for a couple of weeks Jason Steffen asked me to join his team to take the place of their 4th discer who had recently left the team. Once again, another solid positive interaction that made me feel right at home playing disc in the cedar valley.
Although long winded my point is Disc Golf (to me) is all about friendly competition and having a good time with your pals while enjoying some of the nicest parks in Iowa.
In my experience with disc golf in this area, the issues described that started this thread is extremely non-typical of BHMDGL members.
I was not involved in the encounter and have no idea what was or was not said, however it's more than obvious the rec player was offended. Posting a grievance here is a good way to bring this issue to the attention of league officials. But belittling the entire league based on an experience with one group or player is unfair to say the least.
You want to know what kind of people we have in our league?
We have people from all walks of life from local business owners to school teachers, (just like any other disc golf league or club) bound together by their common love for the sport. We also have a rich history boasting the worlds first sanctioned league (est. 1985 PDGA#3217), the first disc golf course in Iowa, Tourist Park (third on the planet), one of Iowas only permanent 27 hole courses at Exchange Park and even host to a World Championship! The BHMDGL has spent tireless hours devoted to designing, installing and maintaining the courses in the area. We have been hosting tournaments and promoting the sport for well over 25 years. Thats the kind of people we have in the BHMDGL.
I'm sure in most every league there is 1 or 2 guys that are deemed jerks, even by the other members. Would you like for your entire league to be viewed as jerks just because of 1 person or isolated incident?
I am sorry your brother had a bad experience. Rec players are the future tournament players, club members, TDs and promoters, and should be encouraged not harshed. But to paint our entire league in such a negative light is very offensive to those who have put in so much time and effort in to making disc golf in the CedarLoo area what it is today. A little bit of respect would be nice. That being said we never close the course to the public and have always allowed rec players to play on league nights. Sometimes asking them to try not to interfere with league play (as we usually finish close to or in the dark already) and others just quietly letting them play their round. We are not in the practice of discouraging rec players.
For the most part Disc Golfers are a friendly and welcoming bunch.
Can't we leave the drama to Survivor and Big Brother, and just go throw and have a good time? Seriously, isn't that what the sport is all about?
Sorry for the novel.

Lee Cronkhite
PDGA #10726
Proud BHMDGL Jerk :twisted:
User avatar
Master Lee
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest