Rude League Player

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

Rude League Player

Postby Skitzo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 am

I just want to bring this to the attention of the league.
My brother who goes to UNI went to the course the other day to play a round as he does most everyday and it happened to be league night. He came up on a group and the guys right away started talking $hit telling him that it was league night and he should go play somewhere else because league has the run of the park. My brother told them that as far as he knows league does not shut down a park and that he is going to continue to play behind them QUIETLY. The guys continued to talk shit telling him to leave so he skipped a few holes to get away from these assholes but continued to get harassed from a far.

What kind of people do you guys have in league?

In cedar rapids if I go to say Jones or Shaver and they have league the guys let me play through with no prob.

I'm not sure if you have league meetings or not but if you do please tell your guys to chill out.

Thank you,
Richard Roberts
Skitzo

Re: League JERKS

Postby irban » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am

Skitzo wrote:I just want to bring this to the attention of the league.
My brother who goes to UNI went to the course the other day to play a round as he does most everyday and it happened to be league night. He came up on a group and the guys right away started talking $hit telling him that it was league night and he should go play somewhere else because league has the run of the park. My brother told them that as far as he knows league does not shut down a park and that he is going to continue to play behind them QUIETLY. The guys continued to talk shit telling him to leave so he skipped a few holes to get away from these assholes but continued to get harassed from a far.

What kind of people do you guys have in league?

In cedar rapids if I go to say Jones or Shaver and they have league the guys let me play through with no prob.

I'm not sure if you have league meetings or not but if you do please tell your guys to chill out.

Thank you,
Richard Roberts

I'm not from there, just weighing in from DM perspective. There isn't a justification for acting like an asshole about it, but in Des Moines league, we often suggest people try a different park, since our league takes up nearly all tees. I don't know how big the BHMDG league is, but even one or two rec groups can hose up the speed of play and cause you to finish in the dark. Of course they still have the right to play, but in our case the club puts in all of the work and effort to install and maintain the courses, and deserve a few privileges, like league and closing down the parks for tournaments. JMO
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby RoxxStar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 am

If someone from a league told me to leave the park because it was league night, I would tell them to go Chuck themselves.

I appreciate how much work the various leagues and clubs put into maintaining the parks, but the parks are still "public" parks and everyone deserves a right to play. League players should be ambassadors for the sport. They should be friendly and encouraging, not confrontational and prickish. There are already enough elitist dicks in the world.

A big reason I love disc golf is because of all of the cool people you meet on the course. Usually everyone is very friendly.

Just one man's opinion.
RoxxStar

Postby irban » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:32 am

RoxxStar wrote:If someone from a league told me to leave the park because it was league night, I would tell them to go Chuck themselves.

I appreciate how much work the various leagues and clubs put into maintaining the parks, but the parks are still "public" parks and everyone deserves a right to play. League players should be ambassadors for the sport. They should be friendly and encouraging, not confrontational and prickish. There are already enough elitist dicks in the world.

A big reason I love disc golf is because of all of the cool people you meet on the course. Usually everyone is very friendly.

Just one man's opinion.

Just saying, during every tournament we sponsor, the parks dept. basically allows us to close the park to public use. We always get a libertarian or two whining about the parks being public etc., but we still don't let them play. League does not close down the parks, but it seems like courtesy on the part of the non-league players to go somewhere else for that night, assuming there is really no room. Soccer and baseball fields are public as well, but I doubt anyone would let you play catch in the outfield during a game.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:58 am

LMAO, so a league guy tells you, probably politely, that the course is closed, you tell him to chuck off, and he's the one that's confrontational and prickish? Get some perspective on life my friend. :roll:
GDL17921

Postby RoxxStar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:01 pm

irban wrote:
RoxxStar wrote:If someone from a league told me to leave the park because it was league night, I would tell them to go Chuck themselves.

Just one man's opinion.

Just saying, during every tournament we sponsor, the parks dept. basically allows us to close the park to public use. We always get a libertarian or two whining about the parks being public etc., but we still don't let them play. League does not close down the parks, but it seems like courtesy on the part of the non-league players to go somewhere else for that night, assuming there is really no room. Soccer and baseball fields are public as well, but I doubt anyone would let you play catch in the outfield during a game.

I understand what you are saying. There are always two sides to every story, and it's always wise to consider more then one perspective. You have the perspective of a league player, while I have the perspective of a rec player. I can see both sides of the argument.

That being said, we aren't talking about tourney's here. We're talking about a league night. If I roll into a course and see there is a tourney going on, and there are 90+ people playing, then ya, I would choose to go somewhere else (whether I had a "right" to play there or not). I would do it out of respect to the tourney. League nights are completely different, IMO.

By telling someone to leave the park because you are playing a league night, you are essentially telling them that your time is more valuable then theirs, you are more important then them, or that you have a right to be there and they do not. None of those things are true.

Again, I completely respect the various leagues/clubs and all of the hard work they do in maintaining the courses. I am sincerely appreciative of that. But by doing that, and then expecting preferential treatment and the right to tell people to leave the course ... well it seems to me to go against the nature of doing the good deed in the first place.

I don't know the particulars in this situation, but I guess I just have a problem with the ettiquette that was displayed (according to the post). If a league player came up to me and said:

"Hey man, I don't know if you know this, but it is a league night tonight. We have alot of players playing, and will be fillling up the whole park. You are free to do what you wish, but we would respectfully request that you maybe try another park tonight. We'll be playing league nights here on every (such and such day, or give dates), just to let you know for future references."

then I would acknowledge his courtesy and respect and would move my round to a different park. But if some dickburger came up to me telling me I need to leave cause it's league night and I don't have a right to be there (showing hostility, as seems to be the case from the original post), then that is when I would have to tell them to Chuck off.

All of this is just opinion/commentary. I've ran into league nights at Ewing at Grandview time and time again. I haven't encountered any type of this mentality. Everyone I've interacted with during these times has been super cool. It sounds like they have a different way of thinking up there maybe. This may not be the "league's" mentality either. It could have just been a couple of dicks giving everyone else a bad name.

The point is, it sounds like it could have been handled much better.

End of rant. :lol:
RoxxStar

Postby RoxxStar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:15 pm

GDL5000 wrote:LMAO, so a league guy tells you, probably politely, that the course is closed, you tell him to chuck off, and he's the one that's confrontational and prickish? Get some perspective on life my friend. :roll:

First of all, I don't see how you assume that he was probably told politely. The tone of the post doesn't indicate that at all. It seems to me like the league players were definitely being confrontational. I would only reciprocate the amount of respect I was being given by telling them to Chuck off.

Secondly, to my knowledge the course was not closed. I understand courses close during tournaments. But I've ran into lots of league play up here in Des Moines (as I play quite often), and the course has never been closed during such times.

The fact that you don't know me, yet find justification to tell me to get perspective on life ... in that uber douchey, condescending manner (with the roll your eyes emoticon) ... only leads me to believe that you are probably in the category of people I mentioned earlier (elitist dicks) and, therefore, we'll have to agree to disagree.

One love.
RoxxStar

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 pm

no, it's more because we're hearing the story second hand from a dude's brother that goes to UNI. I have a real hard time believing that league people treated a rec player that way. Doesn't even make sense. Why ? Because I'm one of those "league-type" people in the DSM area. So I'm taking the side of the story we havn't heard, as stories that travel through two or more people get embellished to achieve the point he was trying to make---he doens't like being asked to play elsewhere when league is going on, I get that. The story told above is pretty far-fetched, and that's just my opinion.

All I was saying to you is that if I asked you nicely, as I had to do MANY times when I was TDing the First Class Challenge, and you told me to Chuck Off, it's laughable that you'd be calling me confrontational because I had to confront you to ask you to consider playing elsewhere. Sure you might be pissed that I had to ask you, so that makes me a prick as you loosely put it? People have to ask people to do things, or not to do things all the time and get called assholes for doing so. All I'm saying is that there are two sides to the story and this one makes about as much sense as dikes using dildos.....again, my opinion. Sorry if you took my comments personally there Rockstar.
GDL17921

Postby RoxxStar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:44 pm

GDL5000 wrote:no, it's more because we're hearing the story third hand from a dude's brother that goes to UNI. I have a real hard time believing that league people treated a rec player that way. Doesn't even make sense. Why ? Because I'm one of those "league-type" people in the DSM area. So I'm taking the side of the story we havn't heard, as stories that travel through two or more people get embellished to achieve the point he was trying to make---he doens't like being asked to play elsewhere when league is going on, I get that. The story told above is pretty far-fetched, and that's just my opinion.

All I was saying to you is that if I asked you nicely, as I had to do MANY times when I was TDing the First Class Challenge, and you told me to Chuck Off, it's laughable that you'd be calling me confrontational because I had to confront you to ask you to consider playing elsewhere. Sure you might be pissed that I had to ask you, so that makes me a prick as you loosely put it? People have to ask people to do things, or not to do things all the time and get called assholes for doing so. All I'm saying is that there are two sides to the story and this one makes about as much sense as dikes using dildos.....again, my opinion. Sorry if you took my comments personally there Rockstar.

Fair enough. I rescind my comment about you possibly being an elitist dick. :lol:

If you asked me nicely to leave, and gave a justifiable reason (a tourney for example), then yes, it would be pretty dumb of me to tell you to Chuck off and then call you confrontational. But that isn't what was happening in this story, at least not according to the poster. Whether it is true or not, the story seems to indicate the league players were the aggressors and the ones being rude. Whether or not that is how it happened, I have no idea.

I like to look out for the little guy is all. If the big, bad, scary league players are going to pick on the tiny, little, poor, hungry (and possibly orphaned) rec players, then I will come to their defense.

:twisted: j/k

Like I said, this is all just my opinion. I don't really know what happened.
RoxxStar

Postby Skitzo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 pm

This is a 27 hole course if im not mistaken and in no way was full (from what my bro told me).

He walked up on the guys and was by himself planning on waiting and was going to ask to play through if it wasnt a prob. One of the leauge members started telling him to leave b-4 he got a chance to say anything.
If they were nice and told/asked him in a respectful way to either go somewhere else or skip a few go ahead of them and as long as he doesnt hold them up they have no prob with him being there it would have been ok but because they were rude then he was rude back but was still going to stay back and bee cool. (<---- holy run on sentence batman) They continued to be rude so he skipped a few not holding anyone up as he was alone and was still shit on.

This is prob a case of 1 or a few guys being rude and in no way a reflection on the leauge as a whole. My concern is that if these guys are this way all the time it Could become a prob for the league and it should be discussed and fixed as a league.

Tourney days are a whole new discussion that im not going to get in on:)

This is just an FYI and in no way a stab at BHMDG.

Thank you,
Richard Roberts
Skitzo

Postby irban » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:16 pm

I think we are in agreement. My points are...

If there is room in the park, no problem.

If league is taking up all or most of the park, a league member might politely mention that play will be slow, etc. I've done this quite a bit, some leave some don't. Agreed it is unexcusable to be an ass about it.

From my perspective, it would be courtesy on the part of the rec player to leave if the park is full of league players. Most public venues can be closed for events etc. Just because we have not set something like that up for disc golf doesn't mean the spirit is not the same. What if you drove to the course and saw a 'course closed for league' sign? You would still need to go somewhere else.

In Des Moines, it not just maintenance. Nearly every course has been installed with volunteer labor, with money for baskets and/or teepads being fundraised by the club (which really was the league before 2004.) It seems like allowing a weekly league to take place without people cramming in would be a respectful way to acknowledge that effort. We have had over 100 people at league in the past, obviously filling all pads. By definition, a rec player would be violating courtesy by jumping between groups in this case.

A couple of winters ago there was great snow for X-country skiing, and Big Creek was being groomed by a local club. Local golfers also liked using the groomed trails for some rare winter golf. Walking on the groomed trails tended to mess up the work done by the ski club. When we found that out, we made every effort to walk to the side, etc. However some skiers were assholes about it, yelling at us to get off of their trails. We had to remind them that the trails would not exist at all if not for the efforts of Steve Nixt during a hot summer years ago, and the continuing efforts from DSM disc golf club kick ass maintenance gurus.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Im a member of B.H.M.D.G.L. have been for about five years now and I know what kind of people we have here. Like most places you have a wide variety of personalities that is the nicest way i can describe it. :roll: Its unfortunate that it had to happen to the point someone felt offended by it. That being said Exchange is a long course and the speed of play is very crucial even though it doesnt trump random chuckers from slowing it down more. If my brother(wich i dont have) went to a course on league night and came home whining about how somebody told him to splitzkie I would smack him for whining. I mean i get ur point public park but if you or your brother care about disc golf let the people who make it possible have one night to themselves. Is it to much to ask :?: We pour our blood and sweat into that course so everyone can enjoy it and destroy it. Monday from six o'clock to nine o'clock pm every third week we like to pretend its ours.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby irban » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:05 pm

LOOTOWNDISKR wrote:Im a member of B.H.M.D.G.L. have been for about five years now and I know what kind of people we have here. Like most places you have a wide variety of personalities that is the nicest way i can describe it. :roll: Its unfortunate that it had to happen to the point someone felt offended by it. That being said Exchange is a long course and the speed of play is very crucial even though it doesnt trump random chuckers from slowing it down more. If my brother(wich i dont have) went to a course on league night and came home whining about how somebody told him to splitzkie I would smack him for whining. I mean i get ur point public park but if you or your brother care about disc golf let the people who make it possible have one night to themselves. Is it to much to ask :?: We pour our blood and sweat into that course so everyone can enjoy it and destroy it. Monday from six o'clock to nine o'clock pm every third week we like to pretend its ours.

Really, your league is so big you can't let a few people onto a 27 hole course? Sounds like the guy might have a point. Seems to me, as long as there are teepads open, you can get by with normal courtesy rules. That still means once the course is full, new people shouldn't try to jump in though. We would all like to just breeze around the course, but how often is that the case?
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby hyzerman16234 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Now I remember why I don't play league anymore. We always had non league players but we just told them that they couldn't play through. They usually left. I remember getting home after 9 most nights. The rural course we go to isn't crowded. :wink:
hyzerman16234

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

The confrontation involved one of the most nonconfrontational people i know in league. I wasnt their i dont know the exact wording of how it went down but doesnt sound like its even worth bitching about on here. Its common courtesy for us to tell the public that we play slow so it might be a wait just to inform them. Im not gonna waste more time on this when i could be practicing my redonkulous putting. If anyone would like to make judgements about our league come down here and play then you can form your opinion.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Next

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League