Course Maintenance

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

Course Maintenance

Postby CalebP » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Currently a couple of our parks are in okay/bad condition.

Tourist:
1. Big trash problem here. Mostly alcohol related. Needs ANCHORED trash receptacles and possibly what I was thinking is one of those metal cage containers that people put cans in to donate to a cause... AKA park funds. >>>> Ideas for permanent trach receptacles that wont float away?

2. Needs tee signs. Alternative to this since the course is well used/abused would be to use a spray paint guide on the tee pads. A hole number, and an arrow toward the hole. Easy/cheap.

3. Possibly just a rock or large cement piece/rubble walkway on hole 14. This hole is always sloppy, and i think i few large flat rocks and some gravel or something would make it easier to get to. Something like Ghosttown has on hole 1.

4. @ GHOSTTOWN Any issues with using the stencil/spray paint method on these tee pads? Not a tournament course really, so...

5. @ALL COURSES Each course should have a main sign/posting board like tourist had... to keep up on tournaments or other postings.

Having a trashy course doesnt attract ANY players, and having a course that someone doesnt know how to play doesnt attract any players. So what if we have tee pads and baskets? Thats not exactly a real course.
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby Master Lee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:07 am

We are currently working on T-Signs for ghost town and a info board. The waterloo parks dept. would like it to look like an actual course, spray painting the tee pads would never do. As for tourist we just talked to the parks dept recently, they have trees for us to plant at the course also, I believe tee signs like the ones at exchange would be a much better alternative to spray paint. Yes painting the tees would be cheap, however it would make the course look that way as well. we need something vandal proof spray painting the tees would most likely lead to more liquored up jerkies spray painting all over the tees. The biggest problem we have with tourist is many players treat it like an outside bar. Tons of rec players go there to get hammered first and play disc second, then proceed to blame the tee signs for their bad shots. A few years ago all of the tee signs were replaced within 3 months 90 percent of them were destroyed already. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with drinking and discin, (disc Golf to me is all about having a good time in the park) I do have a huge problem with those that do not respect the course. Seriously it is the first course in Iowa, the 3rd in the world.(one of which is non existent now, making Tourist the 2nd oldest course in the world!) If we can get rec players to respect the park the we can justify putting in more money to make the course look like it should. If not then you will have to fight Ms. Swan for the tons of cans strewn around the course and use that money for course improvements. I would suggest some basic rules permanently posted on the info sign, but there is really not to much we can do to enforce these rules, so it still falls on each player to respect the course.
Master Lee

Postby CalebP » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 am

Were the tee signs at exchange expensive? They are nice. I think maybe a memorial sign or something that labels the course as historical might help. Can we anchor the trash cans somehow? Use the plastic barrels... drill a holl in the bottom or side, attach a chain to one of those ground spirals or ground screws. Probably wouldnt be stolen, but cant gaurantee that.

This would keep them from floating away and hopefully they would be emptied or somewhat empty before it floods.

There is also a tree thats gonna come down on #4. Possibly unsafe.
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby Master Lee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 am

The Exchange signs are not that expensive. So there is a good chance those would work fine. They are mostly vandal proof and we can attach them to some solid post that wont flood away. I am all for a sign labeling the park course as a historical land mark with a nice synapses of the course's history. This might lead to a little more respect from casual players.
As for the trash cans, the parks dept. pulls most of them for the winter and flood season. But we can discuss the possibility of permanent trash can options, they should be open to this idea. They also hinted that they might be willing to look at relocating the course across the street at island park for the 2 weeks that Tourist is closed to the public each year for the sturgis falls town celebration. If so we could include a tournament at the temp course as part of the Sturgis Falls Celebration. None of this is set in stone yet however.
Master Lee

Sturgis Falls

Postby Golfguy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 am

yes, the city is talking about pulling the Tourist course for Sturgis Falls...as usuall. So, we mentioned what-if we relocate the course temporarily and holding some kind of event.

Any and all thoughts are welcome at this point...trying to work with the city so that we can co-exist with other park usage.
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League