Cedar Falls Disc Golf - Cedar City Park

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

Cedar Falls Disc Golf - Cedar City Park

Postby Golfguy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 am

We had a meeting with the park manager last Thursday.

They want to know if we are interested in the land just south of Big Woods lake. There are at least 6 city blocks to work with...maybe more. Some interested stuff. I don't think we are talking world class...but 18 holes for sure. If we do it right, it could be a great little hide away course. And very close to Z's resturant...FAT TIRE ON TAP! :D

You know me...another course...hell yeah! yes, it floods too...but, the land is free. And they will mow it...

I have a Winton Woods ( for you Cincinnati Discers ) feel in mind...something that will pull UNI away from Tourist and leave Washington park for us. Of course, we need help...please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

- Golfguy
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby cigarguy16 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Winton Woods, wow, there's a reference I haven't heard for awhile (like since 1988, the last time I played in Cincy!). Let's do it! The possibility of 2 new courses in town is mind boggling. It wasn't that many years ago we were explaining to the cities what disc golf was and why they should install courses for the public to enjoy. Let's seize our moment and make this happen!
cigarguy16

Cedar City

Postby Golfguy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am

Not sure if I should post exact emails from the city adminstration...but, this one looked like something I need to share without editing. Here is an email from the Park Manager:

Quote:Tim:

Thanks for this map. It looks like you spent a good deal of time coming up with what could be an exciting facility.

Tom Hagarty, Cedar Falls City Councilperson, was contacted by someone that has a home near that area who has some concerns with the establishment of a disc golf facility in that location. I passed on to Tom that at this point we are in the information gathering phase and that no final decisions have been made. We will of course take into consideration discussion from concerned citizens, both for and against this proposal. Thought you should be aware of all the facts up to now.
un-Quote

So, we might have issues with the land South of Big Woods park...however, before we quit on this one...please remember the Park Manager took us there...this was NOT our idea...so, we need to keep the faith at this point...not sure if a "campaign" is need yet...but, we should start thinking of how we promote disc golf and which battles are worth it.

I have spent a great deal of time looking at all Cedar Falls parks and we just don't have that great of potential land that does not flood. Washington Park is a go...but, the number of holes and total land available is an open issue. We need to make a space claim asap and start getting community support...any and all help in the area is great...but, we must communicate and have a united front as a Team.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Don't give up yet

Postby Golfguy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:27 am

Update: Park Manager says the city owns the land and all people have the right to use the park ... so, don't give up yet. If you live in CF start/keep telling people the benefits of disc golf...if you have any influencial contacts please considering talking directly to them or let us know and we can approach together.

This park will need some cleanup...as a good measure maybe WE can setup a cleanup day for both Tourist and Cedar City after HH doubles??? Wouldn't that be a nice gesture of appreciation from us to the city park administration?

The Future of Disc Golf in CF =
18 "easy" holes at Tourist ( maybe Super Class Only?? ) ;
18 "medium diff" holes at Cedar City ( Int to Adv ) ; and
18 "World Class" holes at Washington Park ( Adv to Open ).
==
54 holes within the city limits only minutes apart.

Can you say IronMan event??? 8)
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby CalebP » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 pm

I think the status of other parks might cause concern to residents in the area of new parks. If they only know tourist and they associate disc golf with trash, boozers, and bros then that might hinder the plan. If a city of this size had 5 or 6 courses that would make a very strong statement to the touring players, as well as possible sponsors for a class c tournament.
CalebP
Site Admin

Disc Golf Agenda Item

Postby Golfguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Sounds like Disc Golf is now an agenda item for the City Council in June.

I don't know much more than that...I have some ideas on how it got on the agenda...but, I shouldn't jump to conclusions online.

We need to put something together that promotes disc golf positively in the area. Going to need some help with this or at least we need to know what the local players would like to see in the future.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Nohr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 am

Does the city know about the The Dann Schultz Memorial Snow Disc 25? Disc golfers raising money for hospice. This should show that not every disc golfer gets drunk and leaves cans everywhere.
Nohr

Postby gpdigity » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 am

if it was up to me every city council member in the country should be given a free subscription to discgolfer.
gpdigity

Postby CalebP » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:29 am

Anything that needs to be done right now?
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby Golfguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 am

CalebP wrote:Anything that needs to be done right now?

We are preparing a presentation for the July 8th Parks meeting.

Shooting for a Washington Park and Big Woods ( near Cedar City Park ).

I am hoping for clearly defined boundaries for both parks so that realistic course designs can begin. I have drafted some possible designs...the Park Manager liked the one I did for Cedar City...but, it was only the six blocks just South of the parking lot...not out around the lake as we are going to propose. The Park Manager did not like the 18 hole one I submitted for Washington Park...too much encroachment on other usage. whatever.

So, we have a meeting on July 8th...hoping for more direction from that...then we can start getting down to business.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby CalebP » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Another idea...havent really thought about it before but Prairie Lakes in CF industrial park has a ton of open space to be utilized. Of course bike trails come into play (again) but theres alot of space along the back. Google map it. Isnt the industrial park supposed to be attractive anyways? The suits needs to get out and play. Plus its right by my work. Lunch break rounds anyone?
CalebP
Site Admin

wait a minute!

Postby Golfguy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 am

Just received a letter from the Park Commission.

Seems I jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

We are back in the running for an 18 hole course just South of Big Woods lake. Funding is still up in the air...we will need YOUR help.

Sorry for the my negative view of the meeting...seems we had more of an impact than originally thought.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Golfguy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:31 am

Next Park & Rec Division meeting Thursday August 26th.

Please let me know if you would like to attend...I should know time and place soon...Thanks!
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Golfguy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I think we can start walking around out there and looking for sweet spots.

I will be out there Sunday afternoon...
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:53 pm

See you their :D
LOOTOWNDISKR

Next

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League