Cedar Falls Disc Golf - Washington Park

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

Postby CalebP » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 am

Can get a referral from C V Hospice?
CalebP
Site Admin

Re: Agenda for July

Postby Golfguy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 am

Golfguy wrote:Items we need to gather and present at the Parks and Rec meeting in July:

- Disc Golf History in CF ( Tourist )
- Levels of Play and Players
- Key Stakeholders and Value Flow between
- Goals for our park systems --> drives design considerations
- Budget ( Costs )
- Preliminary Designs for both Washington Park and Cedar City Park

They asked we have at least 3 league representatives, but no more than 6 to attend the meeting to provide support and a different view than just mine.

The meeting is being reschedulled...something about lack of board member attendance. So, it is looking more like July 15th...I will post ASAP.

Please send your email to MillerTimothyG**NOSPAM**@Gmail.com ( remove the **NOSPAM** ) and I wll get you on the CF DG News email distribution list. Thanks!
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

update

Postby Golfguy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:21 am

*** update per Park Manager ***

Tim:

For now, plan that the next Park & Rec. Commission meeting with be at the Cedar Falls Rec. Center, on Thursday, July 15th at 4:30 pm. If that date changens for some reason I will let you know.

Have a good weekend!

Mark Ripplinger, Manager
Park Division
606 Union Road
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Re: update

Postby Golfguy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Golfguy wrote:Cedar Falls Rec. Center, on Thursday, July 15th at 4:30 pm.

Right now I have two others coming with me. Please let me know if you are planning on attending...Thanks!
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby CalebP » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I work until 9pm only on thursdays
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby Golfguy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Cedar City Park is unlikely to be used for Disc Golf anytime soon.

Park Commission (or board or whatever) isn't too impressed.

Oh well...don't blame me. The park manager took me out there...I didn't even know the land was a park. Sorry to get everyone excited.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Golfguy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Washington Park will more than likely get a disc golf course...some day.

Nothing special...too many other interests in the land usage and the land just ain't world class anyway. so, my guess is a 9 hole intermediate course. :-(

the city does not seem too interested in getting much done for a while.

oh well...again. they called us...so, here we are.

p.s. I think the meeting sucked. Master Lee might see it differently...but, I have sat in many park meetings in cities of all sizes and that was one of the most indifferent group I ever met. not bad people...just could not care less what we had to say. which I think is crap given they asked us to prepare and present certain materials...but, it didn't matter. extremely old bunch of guys that couldn't give a rats ass for anything a dumbass like me would have to say. maybe they saw it differently...I don't know. don't worry I didn't do or say anything stupid...I am just saying the meeting sucked from my viewpoint. :( :(
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Master Lee » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 am

Ditto. Tim prepared an extremely nice presentation describing, in detail, everything from the basics of the sport to the economic benefits for the local community. We were told we would have about 15 minutes to state our case and suggested course layouts of each of the parks in question. At the meeting however, we were made to feel that 15 minutes was far too much of their precious time to spare. Barely 5 minutes in to presentation Tim started getting repeatedly interrupted by the board chairman to basically 'cut to the chase'. Stating that they didn't care to hear about the sport and that CF already supports disc golf, "we have a course" Seriously, I've lived in CF long enough to see how much they actually support disc golf. Allowing the absolute destruction of Tourist park each year with the DrunkFest portion of the Sturgis Falls celebration.
I think we can still put in a decent course at Washington, maybe not a championship style 18, but maybe at least 12 to 14 holes. (then we could possibly play league there)
Big woods (cedar city park) is out, the people who live in the area enjoy their large (city owned) backyards too much.
It's obvious that the CF park and rec dept. is a dead end. They only support disc golf in words, their actions speak otherwise.
I'm shifting focus to other alternatives.
Master Lee

Postby Golfguy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:42 am

Golfguy wrote:Cedar City Park is unlikely to be used for Disc Golf anytime soon.

Park Commission (or board or whatever) isn't too impressed.

Oh well...don't blame me. The park manager took me out there...I didn't even know the land was a park. Sorry to get everyone excited.

Seems I was wrong! Cedar City (just South of Big Woods Lake) is back on the table. 18 holes within the 6 block area outlined.

Need help with Funding...
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Previous

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League