Cedar Falls Disc Golf - Washington Park

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

Cedar Falls Disc Golf - Washington Park

Postby Golfguy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 am

We had a meeting with park district manager last Thursday.

They are looking for a new course in Washington Park. It was once a 9 hole ball golf course now a disc golf course and open shelters only. No other development will be allowed. Oh, and a bike path of course. I haven't seen the grand layout yet...but, hope to Monday. At first pass 18 holes is possible...and yes, flooding is an issue. We have one year to get the fund raising and planning completed. We want a challenging tournament level course...however, mother nature and the city have given us only so much to work with. And we are very Thankfull!! :D

Master Lee is the chief course designer and I am acting as project manager. Obviously we need and WANT help. Please volunteer in whatever manner you can with time and/or money. Send us a message or stop us on the course. Thanks!!!

- Golfguy
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Master Lee » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:17 pm

I will post on here when I will be working on the layout of the course. If you would like to help in the design or any other aspect let me know. Any and all input is welcome.
Master Lee

Postby Shaq » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:13 am

im intrested in helping with the layout and work ill be down to donate time and supplies. holla when its time to go!
Shaq

Postby CalebP » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:53 am

I might ride my bike through there today and look at the area
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby cigarguy16 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Count me in for whatever help you need from an old guy. I'll stay out of the course design (I've had my fun with other courses already and too many cooks.......) but we do have plenty of talent that should have some input. Let me know when and where and I'll see you there!
cigarguy16

Grand Plan

Postby Golfguy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am

I have a map of the proposed land usage for Washington Park...however, too stupid to know how to post pics here...can't access photo buckets and stuff at work.

So, if you want a PDF of the grand plan PM or eMail me and I will forward you what the city gave me.

Also, several local players took a nice long walk on Saturday afternoon...got to see Shaq peform a "splash down" into the new pond...nice. :shock: Just for the record all my shots landed high and dry :D

Master Lee is the man on this one...if you have any strong feelings about the Washington Park course please contact him or myself.

Now, log off the stupid computer and go outside!!!
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Washington Park

Postby Golfguy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 pm

I am planning on being at the park at 5pm on Tuesday ( 4/20 ).

I will have the park master plan drawings with me to share.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Golfguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Pulled the third SHAQ disc from the pond today :D

Golden Retrievers are available at Iron Lion Disc Golf Supply...mine has paid for itself 10 fold in less than a year.

I played and measured the front nine using the gps thingy today. Like number one and three. Number 2 & 6 have safety issues...I think 2 will need to move or shorten. Still lovin number # 4 down to the old ball golf number 1 green. Just fun stuff. Not crazy about 5, 6, 7...but the land just ain't helping us out. Number 8 and 9 just stink...ok, just crap.

Hopefully, we can move some dirt and change something. But, right now a championship level design is going to be hard. Thinking version 6 is going to have to be something totally different...tried clock-wise then counter-clock-wise. Also, tried sticking to ball golf layout...not good.

Any ideas out there? :?
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Jadams » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm

I have always wondered about the retrievers. Is there any chance of them working if you can't actually see the disc?
Jadams

Postby FB32992 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm

xharkx wrote:I have always wondered about the retrievers. Is there any chance of them working if you can't actually see the disc?

possibly i ve snagged a few blind if you know the area of the disc
"No Chain No Game"
Team Iron Lion
http://www.ironliondgs.com/
FB32992

Postby Jadams » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:36 pm

ah, if i can see the disc, ill go in after it haha
Jadams

Postby Golfguy » Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am

Meeting with Park deparment today at 1pm at Washington Park.

The idea of a Championship level course is losing speed. The terrain and other park usage is not allowing for a challenging design.

My guess is we will end up with something more like Ghost Town than we would like. Yes, multiple tee locations...but, not the length I was hoping for.

The City Council meeting for June is cancelled...we are on the agenda for July.

I will push for the most challenging most fun course we can build...but, the city owns the land and controlls the access...so, we will do our best.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Agenda for July

Postby Golfguy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:02 am

Items we need to gather and present at the Parks and Rec meeting in July:

- Disc Golf History in CF ( Tourist )
- Levels of Play and Players
- Key Stakeholders and Value Flow between
- Goals for our park systems --> drives design considerations
- Budget ( Costs )
- Preliminary Designs for both Washington Park and Cedar City Park

They asked we have at least 3 league representatives, but no more than 6 to attend the meeting to provide support and a different view than just mine.
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby CalebP » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 am

How much space does big woods/cedar city have? and is there still a resident that isnt for it?
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby Golfguy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:46 pm

CalebP wrote:How much space does big woods/cedar city have?

The first pass they told me the something around the six blocks just south of the parking lot near the south side of the lake. However, now they are talking more area and more anyway from some of the remaining houses.

CalebP wrote:and is there still a resident that isnt for it?

Yes, however there are 35,998 other people living and most of them paying taxes in Cedar Falls...so, any vocal local busines owers, coaches, high school supporters, UNI boosters, or anyone with significant group representation would be great!! We need to convince them to write an email to the Park Department or coming to a meeting would be awesome!!! :D :D

I talk to a lot of people that support more FREE heathly outdoor activities for people of ALL AGES...but, right now all the city is hearing about is "boozing up", "Peeing in the weeds", "Cursing", and "Trash". :(
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Next

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League