BHMBGL needs to move forward.

Moderators: THRO2NV, RickyBenny

BHMBGL needs to move forward.

Postby kinch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 am

BHMDGL has been around for more than 25 years now. Growing pains have set in again. Redman & Hook gave us a great start and put Black Hawk County on the Disc Golf map. Many years later they got tired and someone else had to take over. We bounced around a few years until I took over during the later part of the 90s. It got too much for me and I passed on the leadership to others. Now Master Lee has had enough and I don’t blame him a bit. It takes organization skills, a strong will and a lot of help. Of which ‘help’ is usually the hardest to get in this community. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… We sure have a lot of disc golfers for such a pitiful work staff. Work days were announced many times last summer of which the same 6-8 guys showed up. We got more help from public players last year than league players some days at Exchange . Those who show up know what’s going on.

Communication is always a problem with leagues of all types. And we have had communication problems as well as any. We need to update member lists, email and a texting tree for these types of communication issues. The technology is out there, we just need to take better advantage of it. We need a tech savvy leader.

I’ll be at Toads tonight at 5:30 pm. Hope to see all local disc golfers there.
kinch

Postby Master Lee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 am

Well put kinch. Wise words from some one who has been there. See you tonight.
Master Lee

Postby cigarguy16 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Once again we have a good turnout for a meeting called without much notice which proves there are people who care about this League and the sport. There are those who want to help but don't know how to do it (don't feel like they are part of the "inner circle", don't know how to speak up, or whatever). There is no "inner circle" and if there is, it has an open invitation to join if you are willing to work and move this club and sport forward. We need the talents and time of anyone who wants to move us to the next level. It just takes a little work on everyone's part instead of a lot of work on a few people's part. That's how we were able to host the World's before anyone even knew where Iowa was located back in 1989.

Thank you Lee for your years of service (there not over yet) and congrats to Ern for taking on the responsibility of League Director. Bob, Jay, Mike, Tyler, Shaq, Kevin, me and the rest will be there to help. Let's make this a positive year to promote disc golf in our community!
cigarguy16

Postby NorthSider » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:04 am

When referring to the "inner circle" I believe there probably talking about the Gun Club, cause I have asked just about everybody how to become a member of the Gun Club so that some of us could have the opportunity to play out there. But no body has a real answer so it’s easily understandable to see why a lot of the league dosent feel there is an open invitation. Which everybody thanked in your post is apart of.
NorthSider

Postby Master Lee » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:54 am

Tyler and myself do not belong to the gun club. Also i believe that many of those who help out (not all) just so happen to be gun club members. I'd say it's more of a coincidence than an inner circle. However it is much easier for those guys to accomplish things due to the fact that they see each other on a regular basis easing the burden of communication. As for becoming a member, I can't help you there. It is a private club and course, which I gladly donate a fist full of goldies to whenever a member invites me to throw a round.
Master Lee

Postby NorthSider » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Thank you Lee that’s probably the best answer I have gotten in the 4yrs on league. I apologize if I have disrespected in any way that that wasn’t the intended purpose, and/or tryn to step on anybody’s toes.
NorthSider

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:23 pm

I know when I went to UNI, I didn't have any clue there was an organized club. When I found out a while after I graduated, I was pissed. I had more time than ever back then and would have loved to been part of it. I bet there's one or two students right now who feel the same. I hope it works out for you guys, I love playing tournaments there.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Single L » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm

I started a team while I was at UNI, I don't remember how I found out about league, but somehow I did. The team format may be one of the issues with attracting new players and new interest in the Club. It is really hard for college students to commit to a team format league; it's even harder for a person organizing a team and finding 3 or 4 other student that you can trust will be there week in and week out. I'm sure if the Waterloo league was singles format there would be a drastic increase in turnout and interest. With that being said the Waterloo league is very unique to the area and has stood the test of time. It basically comes down to tradition and originality vs. growth .... looks like tradition is winning out.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:11 pm

a tech savvy leader? thats the answer hahaha. why dont we stop blaming technology for our lack of effectiveness as a group. its up to individuals to get eachother involved in whats going on. the reason some dont show up is because they have tried to help before only to feel unapreciated the same way i feel when i show up to help put in my sweat and get treated like an outsider. im not the only one who feels this way either wether people dont want to say how the feel or whatever i dont know. i just want the group as a whole, whoever it is at the time to function bettr, not waste as much daylight when we do have work days, and bettr communication. but that would take whats called a phone call you do have one of those things dont you. make a call to someone other than those in the" inner circle". and guess what you might see some new faces.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Swisher Streets » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 pm

porkchop wrote:I started a team while I was at UNI, I don't remember how I found out about league, but somehow I did. The team format may be one of the issues with attracting new players and new interest in the Club. It is really hard for college students to commit to a team format league; it's even harder for a person organizing a team and finding 3 or 4 other student that you can trust will be there week in and week out.
Myself and two of my friends are working on starting a disc golf club at UNI. Id definitely be interested in league this spring.
Swisher Streets

Postby TravisB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

LOOTOWNDISKR wrote:a tech savvy leader? thats the answer hahaha. why dont we stop blaming technology for our lack of effectiveness as a group. its up to individuals to get eachother involved in whats going on. the reason some dont show up is because they have tried to help before only to feel unapreciated the same way i feel when i show up to help put in my sweat and get treated like an outsider. im not the only one who feels this way either wether people dont want to say how the feel or whatever i dont know. i just want the group as a whole, whoever it is at the time to function bettr, not waste as much daylight when we do have work days, and bettr communication. but that would take whats called a phone call you do have one of those things dont you. make a call to someone other than those in the" inner circle". and guess what you might see some new faces.

Man, you are a bitcher. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and do some work. This "insider" stuff is getting a little silly at this point. I know when I lived in CF/Wloo I did feel a little like an outsider because of the team format. I wanted to play in league but didn't know how to go about it. I started showing up for events and offering my help and after a year or two of doing those things I joined the league. After a year or two of playing in the league I took over a leadership role. Wasn't that hard to do, just have to show up and work and listen to direction the club wanted to go. Crap man, when I first started taking on a leadership role we still had meetings of about 20 people and had a gavel to call the meetings to order. Very formal and old school tradition. That is just something you have to expect with the BHMDGL. It is the way things are run and how the community of golfers wanted things to go. If you want to make changes take it upon yourself. Everyone is an outsider until you start showing up and doing something about it. I know you have said you have done work and feel underappreciated but what the hell do you want some kind of plaque of something you can mount to your bike handlebars? I know this sound a little harsh but the more you work and show up the more and more you will feel like part of the team. It probably took me five years of working with the BHMDGL before I felt like my thoughts and opinions were being taken seriously. The reason why? Someone like Lee, Kindschi was stepping down and they needed someone to step up. Jacob did at that point but I said I would be willing to take on some kind of active role in the club and everyone was more than happy to have some new blood involved. After Jacob was too busy to run things Lee and I took over. Since I have left Lee hasn't had someone to help him order and organize events, work days etc...be that person, not the person who bitches about the one organizing the club. Running a club takes a lot more of your time than you would expect. CF/Wloo disc golfers are a great bunch of people but until you have tried to run an event or organize anything in that area you have no idea how hard it is to get people to help.

Sorry for the rant just getting a little old.....see ya all later.
TravisB

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:48 am

its funny that you sit here and tell me what i do and dont do when you live in des moines and i have seen you only at tournaments around here. i have put in plenty of work days have donated prizes and food to league and tournaments and still i feel like and "outsider" because we have a clickie ass league and thats just the way it is. obviously youre loyalties lie with those in that click because you have not been here to see what is going on and you hear secondhand . but when it comes down to it i do alot more than bitch but i wont expect to get any credit for what i do because their are already people in that role the same names all the time. so yea i will rant because thats what this is for and if you think youre going to drownd out my opinion and stop me from expressing it good luck.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Jadams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 pm

As it says on my bag.

Just go play. Seriously.
Jadams

Postby shane » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm

I think you might of missed the part where he lived there and helped. Just sayin...
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby NorthSider » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 pm

I know there is frustrations with league in all aspects but pointing out the bad things isn’t gonna help! You can complain all ya want but until you have any realistic ideas on how to fix or solve any of the obstacles then you, sound sort of like a hypocrite cause your creating more problems then we already have. It’s good that you’re speaking up but leave all the BS behind us. Hence the topic MOVING FORWARD.
NorthSider

Next

Return to Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League