Work Night

Postby Kelly K » Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 am

Monday, Memorial Day, May 26th

We will NOT have a worknight. Everyone enjoy their holiday weekend!! :D :D :D :D :D

In the future:

We are looking forward to some water receding and working on the newer putting area at Sugar. We will need 2-3 chainsaws to cut all the stumps out, and will be doing some general cleaning up of that area.

The peninsula back nine: we really dont know what kind of shape it'll be in when the water goes back down, so I guess we can be prepared for the worst and be happy if there's no real major damage or debris (or dead fish carcases).

Turkey is doing good, except for one tree i heard fell down. We'll get that taken care of w/o an actual worknight.

Ideally, we are looking at having 2-4 more very productive worknights and then only having worknights as needed in the future. We really have done a lot to our courses so far this year, and everyone involved should give yourselves a huge pat on the back! :D So keep your fingers crossed for no more huge thunderstorms or pouring rain, and maybe we'll all get to enjoy the back nine at the Pen very very soon!!! :D :D
Kelly K

Postby cmlasley » Thu May 29, 2008 7:14 am

We need to address wind damage at Turkey. Specifically, the massive tree that fell across the front of 14's teepad.
Morgan Lasley

When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley

Postby IHearChains » Thu May 29, 2008 3:37 pm

cmlasley wrote:We need to address wind damage at Turkey. Specifically, the massive tree that fell across the front of 14's teepad.

Also a big timber on the ground near the 14 basket that would be best cut up before moving.
IHearChains

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Turkey's a mess on certain parts of the back nine. Lots of saplings broken off, plus the big guy in front of #14's pad, many small tree limbs on fairways. At least a partial work day; cleaning it up shouldn't be too exhaustive. Small tree near the short pin on #10 has been pulled over in an effort to snap it off, it looks like.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby Captain » Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 am

Mark Ramsey and I are going to work @ SB on Sat. morning.

Time ????? (8-9)

Weather dependent
Captain

Postby wspdiscgolf » Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 am

Captain wrote:Mark Ramsey and I are going to work @ SB on Sat. morning.

Time ????? (8-9)

Weather dependent

sounds like turkey needs some work also. im pretty sure im not working tomorrow (at my job), if you wanted to hit both courses, id be up for that
Last edited by wspdiscgolf on Fri May 30, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
wspdiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Fri May 30, 2008 8:57 am

i'm in. if others are also in, could carpool to sugar and back to turkey... just a suggestion :wink: save some gas :D
Kelly K

Postby Captain » Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 am

I was thinking of Monday work night @ TC. SB putting area not completely drained. Let's postpone that work night until we can do it all at once.

At SB the things I would like to tackle are:

General string trimming/mowing around signs and tee pads.
Installation of some directional sign posts
Finish tee pad timbers on #12
Remove backstop on #12, and beaver dam on #11 tee (both look shoddy)
Remove more autumn olive on #'s 14, 15, 16
Remove autumn olive on left side of #7
Remove autumn olive in long grass on 8,9,17,18
Measure message board for new signage
Apply Roundup on old autumn olive.

I plan on brining the ATV and trailer out there. Should make brush removal much easier (no hauling).

Hopefully with just a few hours work we can make an already nice course a prestine course.
Captain

Postby KePP » Fri May 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Be sure to wear bear repellant
KePP

Postby dischawk » Fri May 30, 2008 2:22 pm

haha, i heard about that. Did they catch it or what?
dischawk

Postby OU812_LukeS » Fri May 30, 2008 7:11 pm

There was a bear at Sugarbottom? What's the story with that?
OU812_LukeS

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Multiple reports of a black bear in North Liberty near Zeller St and the railroad tracks yesterday. No official confirmation from DNR or law officials, but someone I work with said she saw it the evening before last near there.
prodiscgolf

Postby The Donator » Sat May 31, 2008 1:09 pm

There is also a big tree fallen past #7's pin in the fairway for the longer placements. Also the bugs are freaking insane, and will be even worse when they mow in the next couple days. I think I ate a couple dozen in the 9 holes we played before leaving.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby OU812_LukeS » Sat May 31, 2008 3:40 pm

The Donator wrote:There is also a big tree fallen past #7's pin in the fairway for the longer placements. Also the bugs are freaking insane, and will be even worse when they mow in the next couple days. I think I ate a couple dozen in the 9 holes we played before leaving.

Forgot all about that...plenty of work to do at Turkey Creek now that I think about it.
OU812_LukeS

Postby Kelly K » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Tonight, June 2nd:

For those of us who can, we will be meeting at 4:00, turkey creek, back by the bathrooms.

We would like to knock this worknight out pretty quickly and all go home by 7:00, so if you can come out PLEASE do.

Things to do at turkey:

*Stairs put in on 3 and 5
*Trimming hole 4
*Get the locks undone for 3, 4, 13 and move the baskets
*2 possible trees on 14 (i haven't actually been there to confirm this)
*possible tree on 10
*possible tree on 7
*7's middle anchor needs dug up
*install new anchor on 14
*landscape 15's tee w/ railroad ties
*organize the wood behind the shed and take an inventory of it
*trim the trail between 3-4
*in future, landscaping on 4's tee
*message board (everything is ready, just needs to be done)

It should not be raining at 4:00, this tiny little storm should go right by us without much rain. If it is raining, i'm still going out at 4:00. A little rain never hurt anyone and it'll guarantee not to have n00bs out there throwing at us while we're working. :shock:

I've been told to ask if anyone has a metal detector, please bring it out so we can find the missing anchors!!! :D :D :P

Also, please bring workgloves, shovels & loppers!

The more people we get to show up the earlier we all get to go home. Hope to see ya there! Kelly :D
Kelly K

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City Disc Golf Club