Work Night

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:19 am

One thing about the branches on #3's blue route, they're way high up in the tree beyond what a pole saw can correctly prune (the forestry department has asked that we trim the trees correctly to not damage what remains). I'm not taking whole trees out just because some branches are hanging where players want the flight path to be. I'm also not going to ask anyone to climb that tree and prune it. We don't currently have the equipment to take care of that situation correctly.

And who says that hole has to be two-able? I know it's short enough that it can be so I expect to at least have a shot at it each time. When we initially shaped fairways our philosophy was to take out minimally what would make the course playable then see what needs to happen after some play. We're just starting the second spring that the course has been in the ground and things will change, but not so quickly that later we wish there were more trees to define fairways that have mysteriously opened up to make them too easy.

I haven't even been on the course beyond the information board since last November so I don't know how the winter ice storms have affected the course. Hopefully I can get out there Monday and have a look around.
prodiscgolf

Postby AO » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:17 am

porkchop wrote:
AO wrote:What I think of as a very tough but fair shot(s) would be hole #18 at West Lake. You have to execute by following the direction of the fairway, which is challenging and demanding but at the same time you don't worry or think about a random tree or limb hanging through the fairway.

You only say this because you had a drop in 3 in the final 9 :roll: :roll:

If that is what you think. I have never come close to getting a 3 on it since and it was probably one of the best played holes in my tournament experience. I usually get a 4 or 5. And because I have played a hole great one time doesn't mean that is that's why I like it. It's an great hole because it is extremely challenging but fair.
AO

course alterations

Postby OU812_LukeS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 pm

As of Sunday, April 13th, someone has taken the liberty of removing some small trees at the Peninsula.

The first we noticed is right by the pin on #3, the ~5" sapling between the near side rough and the basket has been cut down and moved away.

Then on #10, another similar sized young tree about 20' ahead of the big fallen tree trunk has been cut down and moved away.

It looks like both were cut out with hand saws.

These are just the ones we noticed.

Were these on a work list? I don't remember them being. It looks like someone just took it upon themselves to try and make the course play easier.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby Captain » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 pm

I saw some fresh cutting yesterday. Wondered what had been going on.

Who is cutting?
Captain

Postby The Donator » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Ummm....sorry? :lol: (kidding obv)
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby OU812_LukeS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 pm

Captain wrote:I saw some fresh cutting yesterday. Wondered what had been going on.

Who is cutting?

I doubt it is someone from our group. As I recall we've obtained City permission for each tree we've removed unless an immediate safety hazard.

See everyone tomorrow at the Pen for some sanctioned course improvement. 5:30pm? I'm for parking down by the water department building by #3, even if pedestrians give me dirty looks.
OU812_LukeS

Postby cmlasley » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm

AO wrote: Hole #5 from the red pad still don't understand and hole #8 from the red not fun in any way.

What is the problem with #5 Red?

#8 Red is the worst hole on the course for me. Poke and hope. I like 6 in the long position more, even. At least I'm consistent there.
Morgan Lasley

When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley

Postby OU812_LukeS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Unless you take a scientific poll you can assume that 10 different people will name 10 different holes and reasons they do or don't like them. That's what makes any course great. I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to play #10 bottom pin at Turkey consistently...I have to throw a long turnover through a keyhole basically.

#8 Red at the Pen may be a poke and hope but no more than #9 red or blue, or #8 blue for that matter. The way they play, you more or less have to just throw a really good shot off the tee to even benefit from a little luck out there. Sloppy throws are punished, clean throws get to work a little bit sometimes.

By the way I can't find my red Challenger, sorry. See if there's something else in my list I can substitute for you? (It must have wound up at PIAS...)
OU812_LukeS

Postby Kelly K » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:20 am

Unfortunately, i am not going to be attending peninsula work night. I will be addressing the water situation in my basement.
Kelly K

Postby AO » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Clay, Tony, Frog, and I played there last evening and noticed a few trees cut on 3,5,7 all by the baskets. Please do not assume this was done by Clay or myself. We have made some suggestions but DO NOT cut trees. I just wanted to get this out there.
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Then what was I carrying the chainsaw for?
frogawitdafizzle

Postby OU812_LukeS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:Then what was I carrying the chainsaw for?

LOL Frog.

AO - It had to be some rec player with a hand saw, not a competitive golfer. Many of the trees we saw cut down do not even come into play, the choices were inexplicable.
OU812_LukeS

Postby OU812_LukeS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Progress was killer tonight.

#3: We got a significant amount of multifloral rose (thorns) removed from the left side of #3's fairway, where a lot of discs kick in, and moved probably 20-30 good sized logs from there too. The fairway has been expanded and is looking much better. Long right side looks better too.

#4: The multifloral rose between the pads has been scaled back, and the rotting tree trunks off the red pad have been "shaved" down so that inside gap now appears more inviting.

#6: Removed a ton of woodpile debris and thorn bushes 20'-30' further over to the right on the right side of the Red fairway, opening up all kinds of new landing zones. There will still be nice shots that kick off that main "hallway" but now there's some good real estate to work with and approach from on that right side where there was formerly just mess.

Next week we'll address #10's bottleneck, among other things. Now for some Advil...
OU812_LukeS

Postby Kelly K » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 am

Tonight, Peninsula, 5:30

We will be addressing 6, 9, 10, 18 if you are running late, you can find us on / around those holes.

Hope to see lots of people out there!!
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks to all who showed up last night! (Mark, Luke, Rinker, Jack, Brad, Brent, Kevin)

We really cleaned up #3, 6, 9 and started on 18. We widened fairways, cleaned out multi-floral rose bushes, and really cleaned up the pin areas. These holes really look much much better!

Next week we are going to work on Peninsula #10 & 18 and take a look at the back nine and see what needs to be done. Once we get peninsula up to par, we need to head out to sugar and put some TLC into the putting area.

Thanks again guys, awesome job!!
Kelly K

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City Disc Golf Club