Work Night

Postby Kelly K » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:29 am

sounds good luke, i dont have a list of things for peninsula like i did for turkey. please keep track of things that need to be done so when we get out there (hopefully next monday) we can be prepared.

i think 6's long pad has a downed tree in front of it that needs to be removed, i could be wrong on the hole number though.
Kelly K

Postby IHearChains » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am

OU812 wrote:If we're going to be at the Peninsula I would REALLY like it if we could get one or two chainsaws working on the bottleneck in the middle of 10's fairway...

I've put next Monday on the calendar, and will bring a small chainsaw if its needed.
IHearChains

Postby Captain » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:10 am

For the work night @ the Pen, we need the following tools.

WORK GLOVES
String trimmers
Loppers
Tarp (for dragging thorn bushes)
Elbow Grease

Need everyone to start thinking of areas that need thinning. The areas that come to my mind are:

L side #3 Blue
R side #4 Red
R side #6 long fairway
R side #7 Blue
L side #8 Blue
R side #9 by B pin
R side #10 between short and long pins
Captain

Postby claya » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 am

Peninsula:

#3 from Blue - High branches on inside route, will need a pole saw to reach them
#3 Right side rough
claya

Postby Captain » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:54 am

claya wrote:Peninsula:

#3 from Blue - High branches on inside route, will need a pole saw to reach them
#3 Right side rough

Not exactly sure which high branches you're talking about. The inside line on #3 is supposed to have a lower ceiling than the outside line. This is where risk/reward come into play. Or you could look at it like: the most direct route is the hardest line to hit.

Come on down next Monday and we can discuss.
Captain

Postby claya » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:18 pm

The risk of the inside line should be hitting an early tree and/or kicking into the woods. Not hitting the gap and getting shot down by a branch you can't even see.
claya

Postby AO » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Captain wrote:
claya wrote:Peninsula:

#3 Right side rough

Not exactly sure which high branches you're talking about. The inside line on #3 is supposed to have a lower ceiling than the outside line. This is where risk/reward come into play. Or you could look at it like: the most direct route is the hardest line to hit.

Come on down next Monday and we can discuss.

I agreed with Clay. If you go low you can't get there. You need air under the disc to get it to turn that sharply. Hole #5 from the red pad still don't understand and hole #8 from the red not fun in any way. I would love to discuss the course.
AO

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:55 pm

I've watched Harper throw a giant hyzer off blue pad #3, probably getting 65' vertical or more through the tiny branches. More or less flew untouched, landed pin-high, 20-foot deuce. This was last summer, before more branches came down from the winter storms.

Not a high percentage shot, but hey...what one man can do, another can do. It's a route that is there for very big and very accurate drives.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:57 pm

AO wrote:If you go low you can't get there.

I beg to differ my friend, see my post about Harper deuce-ing it. Once you stare at those tree tops long enough you'll see the route. (I see it, and the spirit is willing but the arm ain't got the juice...)

- Luke
OU812_LukeS

Postby AO » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 pm

So you're saying since you've seen someone duece it once that makes for a good shot? I have dueced it and I have seen others get 2's on the hole, doesn't mean it is a good shot.
AO

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:45 pm

AO wrote:So you're saying since you've seen someone duece it once that makes for a good shot? I have dueced it and I have seen others get 2's on the hole, doesn't mean it is a good shot.

I won't say it's "good" or "bad" since I don't have strong opinions about what makes a shot universally one or the other. Does "good" mean high percentage, or challenging-but-reasonable percentage? You tell me.

The big hyzer route isn't there for me since I don't throw as long, I throw a smaller one outside and hope for the skip, and usually I don't quite get there for a two but come close enough occasionally.

What can one say? There's a lot of trees at the Pen.

:)
OU812_LukeS

Postby AO » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:12 pm

I guess when I think of "fairways" I think of fair with no bs in the way for any type of shot. I am not a fan scattered sapplings, braches hanging over the fairway, and trees everywhere. I like tight courses but defined at the same time. You should be rewarded for choosing the correct disc, hitting your line, and throwing with good form. Not doing all three and a random tree/limb denying you a good shot. What I think of as a very tough but fair shot(s) would be hole #18 at West Lake. You have to execute by following the direction of the fairway, which is challenging and demanding but at the same time you don't worry or think about a random tree or limb hanging through the fairway.
AO

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:36 pm

AO wrote:I guess when I think of "fairways" I think of fair with no bs in the way for any type of shot. I am not a fan scattered sapplings, braches hanging over the fairway, and trees everywhere. I like tight courses but defined at the same time. You should be rewarded for choosing the correct disc, hitting your line, and throwing with good form. Not doing all three and a random tree/limb denying you a good shot. What I think of as a very tough but fair shot(s) would be hole #18 at West Lake. You have to execute by following the direction of the fairway, which is challenging and demanding but at the same time you don't worry or think about a random tree or limb hanging through the fairway.

I have yet to play West Lake, I've heard it's great (and treacherous). The way you describe it sounds like a hole at Walnut Ridge, #8 or #9 I think? A long, long and tight dogleg right...the shots must follow the direction of the fairway, but anything you hit is stuff you should (and can) actually miss, with daylight overhead. I share your dislike of scattered saplings, we have too many at the Pen and I think we'd be doing the mature trees a favor by thinning them, and simultaneously the course would still play tough and reward skill and course management.

I suppose it's still a new course with fairways that are still being defined. It will continue to improve, I'll be there on Monday doing some seek-and-destroy with the thorn bushes.
OU812_LukeS

Postby AO » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:55 pm

I just wish the water would go down. I really enjoy the back 9.
AO

Postby Single L » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:07 pm

AO wrote:What I think of as a very tough but fair shot(s) would be hole #18 at West Lake. You have to execute by following the direction of the fairway, which is challenging and demanding but at the same time you don't worry or think about a random tree or limb hanging through the fairway.

You only say this because you had a drop in 3 in the final 9 :roll: :roll:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City Disc Golf Club