Finger on the RIM?

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby really » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 am

i guess i would just focus more time on arm movement and release point more than grip on a putt. u could have the "best grip in the world" but with out the proper stroke you have nothing.
DGA
really

Postby irban » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 am

really wrote:i guess i would just focus more time on arm movement and release point more than grip on a putt. u could have the "best grip in the world" but with out the proper stroke you have nothing.

Won't argue, but the release is key to any stroke, and the grip is key to the release, and particularly to the release point.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Detra319 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:47 am

After extensively studying this for a whole hour in the backyard, I came to realize that there is slightly more spin on the disc when I use no finger on the rim. This convinced me to spend the next several months trying to figure out the differences between finger on the rim and no finger on the rim, and what I found actually was slightly surprising.

In my mind, and on my camera, I find I am actively using less muscles for the release than if I don't put my finger on the rim. It takes more muscles to grip the disc, but to release it becomes less.

Thats the basis, study it if you want, mock my hour of invested effort, but I find NO kind of actual fact behind why people should or should not put their finger on the rim. Everyone has ideas, Dave Feldberg claims he studies it, but nowhere have I seen anyone with any kind of proof. I have even read the study done by the MIT professor on the flight of a frisbee versus a disc and then spent WEEKS discussing that with my physics professor. Now if I can find somebody who is into sports medicine and has access to an MRI machine maybe we could get something done..

Again, mock me flame me whatever. I put this out here for that reason, because if I don't stand behind my ideas then I limit what I can learn from them.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Buzzz Killington » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 pm

I for one totally appreciate the research.
Finger on the rim decreases spin. That's physics. And a straight putt has the highest chance of connecting, but...
Does spin help a disc fly straight?
That's arguable. Wobblers fly straight, but can't travel far. A spinning disc flies faster, farther, and true to the disc itself, which isn't necessarily straight...
I feel up close I don't need the torque I require 40 ft back to consistantly make the putt.
But would practicing all putts the same regardless of distance increase consistancy? Likely. Changing grips is just one more variable when you're in the business of controlling variables.
Sometimes you have to take a step back to make a leap forward.
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby irban » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 am

Yer killing my buzz. :D
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Detra319 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:I for one totally appreciate the research.
Finger on the rim increases spin. That's physics. And a straight putt has the highest chance of connecting, but...
Does spin help a disc fly straight?
That's arguable. Wobblers fly straight, but can't travel far. A spinning disc flies faster, farther, and true to the disc itself, which isn't necessarily straight...
I feel up close I don't need the torque I require 40 ft back to consistantly make the putt.
But would practicing all putts the same regardless of distance increase consistancy? Likely. Changing grips is just one more variable when you're in the business of controlling variables.
Sometimes you have to take a step back to make a leap forward.

One of the things that I have worked on in putting to help improve consistency is trying to create a flight path that gives you a longer window in which to make putts. I want my putt to make it if its 15 ft away or 20 ft away, even with the same putt. Obviously that won't work as well on shorter putts(15 and in), but those aren't really the issue now are they?

Also...spin allows for an airfoil to form, which allows for longer glide, which allows for more consistent response...even if it wobbles.
Detra319

Postby Grimm » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Detra319 wrote:(15 and in), but those aren't really the issue now are they?

Want to bet?
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Grimm » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:That's arguable. Wobblers fly straight, but can't travel far.

Have you seen me drive?
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Detra319 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:22 am

Grimm wrote:
Detra319 wrote:(15 and in), but those aren't really the issue now are they?

Want to bet?

Statistically insignificant?
Detra319

Previous

Return to Putting Technique