Iowa Tour Points - Hamilton

Information about the Iowa Tour.

Moderator: shane

Postby irban » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I haven't played intermediate in a tournament, since my first one. I could play there though. My rating was only above 900 for a short time, when they first started ratings. I think I was coming off of a couple of successful years.

I have played advanced and advanced master, mainly out of habit, but also for pride I suppose. Plus, I've cashed and taken home some trophies, so what the heck. These days I'm definitely more likely to play intermediate quality golf, than advanced but I doubt I'll play down. Maybe if I get out a little more regularly again, the sun will shine on this dog's ass a few more times.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Clue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:34 pm

TravisTrammel wrote:Well damn then that take's care of my issue loud and clear thank you for the information.

Actually it says that people like you are the problem. You're playing too high for your ability thus it appears as though the players beating you are bagging.
Clue

Postby Single L » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Clue wrote:
TravisTrammel wrote:Well damn then that take's care of my issue loud and clear thank you for the information.

Actually it says that people like you are the problem. You're playing too high for your ability thus it appears as though the players beating you are bagging.

Masters Breaks at 935+
Playing to High
Playing to Low (although there is no limit to how good an AM can be)

Pro Masters
Eddie McCulley  989
Jeff Harper  989
Mark Ramsey  985
Doug Peyton  975
Tony Philips  975
Tim Peyton  970
Scott H. Harmon  966
Scott Walsh  955
Dev Nelson  950
Brad Milder  948
Scott Innis  948
Frank Holmes 937 Recently Moved Up

Advanced Masters
Steve Rose  925
Daryl Culver  924
Jason Allen Stroud  924
Ty Grantham  916
Mike Susanin  911
Roy Nelson  911
Alan Upshot Brown  910
Mike Hubbard  910
Steve Hymer II  910
Steven Hurt  907
Alan Avery  905
Kendall Clark  905
Rodney Ruble  903
Travis Trammel 900
Kevin Brockelsby  897
Todd Goldsberry  896
Andrew Hamer  893
Tim Miller 889
Robert Phelps  877
Steven Hepker  871
Tom Lansing  871
Mike Holmes  860
Eddie Kruse  856
Dennis Glassford  847
Dennis L. Hare  795
David Shelton  786
Bob Howie  784
Jeff Hunt  681

Just some stats for ya ...... no fingers being pointed.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Single L » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 pm

From what I've seen playing in a division within your rating is only a major issue at the local level. At NT's and A-Tiers it seems like the majority of the field plays were they should. At these events you have an abundance of solid Pro's so a lot of the "fringe" pros tend to play down to Adv (where their rating is) as they have a very low chance of cashing in Open. This causes a trickle down affect as the Adv field now becomes stronger and "fringe" Adv players move down to Int. Those that usually complain at these events about bagging are usually players that are used to cashing at their local events, something they wouldn't do regularly if those players didn't play up.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby TravisTrammel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Clue wrote:

Thanks , I kinda figured that out.

Loud and clear guess I'll just go back to Adv. Masters. No can't do that I wanna play for cash dammit.

Whatever , I'm done with this I'll just finish what I got planned and stick with the new club I'm with.

The whole damn thing is over-rated
TravisTrammel

Postby Cydisc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:23 pm

TravisTrammel wrote:I guess if someone swings at me then SHIT HAPPENS !

Passive-aggressive much?
Cydisc

Postby bergdawg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Because they are 'Amateur' divisions and technically shouldn't even be playing for plastic.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand why all divisions can't play for the money that they put in. It seems kind of silly to pay a decent amount of money to play a tournament and I shouldn't be able to win anything. If that's the case everything but Open should be free IMO.
bergdawg

Postby TravisTrammel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Cydisc wrote:
TravisTrammel wrote:I guess if someone swings at me then SHIT HAPPENS !

Passive-aggressive much?

Well crusin for brusin sounds like someone else is thinking that there gonna do something so I just wanted to make it clear. eye for a eye
TravisTrammel

Postby shane » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Travis why do we keep going back to violence? I don't get it. I'm gonna swing, eye for an eye it's a game man. We all want to win and money is preferred obviously. If your playing open or even open masters there is no bagging. The only game that should matter is you're own. You keep posing these threats and really it only makes you look silly. Lets just play golf.
Last edited by shane on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Cydisc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 pm

bergdawg wrote:
Because they are 'Amateur' divisions and technically shouldn't even be playing for plastic.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand why all divisions can't play for the money that they put in. It seems kind of silly to pay a decent amount of money to play a tournament and I shouldn't be able to win anything. If that's the case everything but Open should be free IMO.

If it were up to me, Ams would play for trophies only, with a super-cheap entry fee. I think it might have been like that at one time, but events started to offer merch to attract more players and they needed to sustain a greater and greater payout with bigger and bigger entry fees.

My ideal tournament would have four divisions, two-each for males and females: Pro and Am. I would set the Pro entry fees similar to what they are now and set the Am entry fee at a level such that if you had 20 Ams show up, it would cover the cost of the trophies for all 4 divisions. If you had more than 20 Ams show up, then the TD would take a % of the surplus for himself and refund the rest to the Am field.

I think this type of setup would actually encourage more Am tournament play since (I think) the biggest deterrent to new players is the exorbitant entry fee.
Cydisc

Postby TravisTrammel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 pm

shane wrote:Travis why do we keep going back to violence? I don't get it. I'm gonna swing, eye for an eye it's a game man. We all want to win and money is preferred obviously. If your playing open or even open masters there is no bagging. The only game that should matter is you're own. You keep posing these threats and really it only makes you look like silly. Lets just play golf.

I'm frickin responding to other people's crap from earlier, and I'm not doing a damn thing unless provoked.

So back off damn , I'm done with the damn shit , do whatever you want with your club and clicks,drama,whatever you wanna call it.
TravisTrammel

Postby bergdawg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:18 pm

If it were up to me, Ams would play for trophies only, with a super-cheap entry fee. I think it might have been like that at one time, but events started to offer merch to attract more players and they needed to sustain a greater and greater payout with bigger and bigger entry fees.

My ideal tournament would have four divisions, two-each for males and females: Pro and Am. I would set the Pro entry fees similar to what they are now and set the Am entry fee at a level such that if you had 20 Ams show up, it would cover the cost of the trophies for all 4 divisions. If you had more than 20 Ams show up, then the TD would take a % of the surplus for himself and refund the rest to the Am field.

I think this type of setup would actually encourage more Am tournament play since (I think) the biggest deterrent to new players is the exorbitant entry fee.

I agree. New players like it because it's fun and CHEAP. You don't need money to go out to the course and play. When I started, I thought it was the biggest waste of money to play in a tourny, when I could just go out and throw for free.

I think these entry fees are keeping the sport from growing past just a recreational type of thing for most players. Plus, if it's a PDGA sponsored event they have to pay 10 more dollars for a temporary membership. That's like 30-40 dollars for a tournament when they're used to playing for free. It's also a deterrent to them because they think that someone's willing to put that kind of money on a tournament, they have no chance in hell at winning it.
bergdawg

Postby Clue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm

TravisTrammel wrote:
shane wrote:Travis why do we keep going back to violence? I don't get it. I'm gonna swing, eye for an eye it's a game man. We all want to win and money is preferred obviously. If your playing open or even open masters there is no bagging. The only game that should matter is you're own. You keep posing these threats and really it only makes you look like silly. Lets just play golf.

I'm frickin responding to other people's crap from earlier, and I'm not doing a damn thing unless provoked.

So back off damn , I'm done with the damn shit , do whatever you want with your club and clicks,drama,whatever you wanna call it.

Travis, you need to really take a step back. You came on here very strong blaming anybody and everybody about something that you are dead wrong about. Now you're acting like you didn't do anything here and you're just talking. You're way out of line, and if you're going to continue with this attitude then maybe you should find something else to do. You've made an ass of yourself, and the way you're representing yourself, the DMDGC, and the game as a whole isn't helping anyone.

We're all pretty forgiving here and if you choose to stay with the game I wish you the best, but you really need to change your attitude and be more careful about how you make your point. I have no idea whether you intended half the things you said here. Every other post takes a different tone, but I for one think you owe a lot of people an apology. Nobody is making any money here and you've taken advantage of a lot of volunteer hours over this season only to turn around and basically tell them all to F off, as if everything we all do is some conspiracy to bring you down.
Clue

Postby TravisTrammel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Travass get's it great.
I apologize , I'm sorry I've tried to say this earlier. ( as in two or three pages ago or something like that)
TravisTrammel

Postby Sniper26 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 pm

I find this to be one of the most entertaining threads on here in a while.
Sniper26

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tour