New Course in Davenport

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 am

This project is back on track, and installation will begin very soon.

Thanks to Chase, Sprague, MDR, and Ron for making it to the meeting with the City last night. And to Sprague, MDR, and Ron for walking the park afterward to get the layout nailed down.

We should have a nice mix of long par 4s and 5s on one side, and tight technical on the other.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby TreeLoveInman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 am

Hey lou, was curious if any installation has started yet, If ever need more help let me or any of us know I am sure there are plenty of people here that want to help out, I have high hopes for this new course.
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby Lou Siffer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:38 am

Installation has not begun yet. Baskets will be getting ordered soon.

I'm not sure what the city's plan is for labor on this project, but I'm assuming they'll handle a lot of it themselves. There isn't a lot of work (clearing trees, fairways, etc.) to be done, so it's mainly digging holes for pins and installing tee pads.

I'll be sure to let you know when extra labor is needed.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby strokersix » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:02 pm

I am really looking forward to this course. Early am round at West Lake before other park users show up, followed by Credit Island. Awesome!

Yes, please post when help is needed. I'll be there if at all possible.
strokersix

Postby Lou Siffer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:34 am

Met with the head of Davenport Parks this morning, and the baskets should be getting ordered within a week.

Got a question for everyone about tee pads. We're trying to eliminate the mess that develops at the end of tee pads from people stepping off during follow through.

We're talking about extending the pad and putting a line through it toward the end that would effectively be the "fault line". Thus giving space for the follow through that would keep you from going off the end of the pad. Has anyone had any experience with this, or have an opinion of how this might/might not work?

Thanks.
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 pm

In therory, a fault line sounds good.
In reality, will all abide by it?

I think it may help somewhat to alleviate wear and tear but not totally.

How about barbed wire? :shock:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby iowapat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:57 pm

shrubbery?
It's not alcoholism...It's craft beer
iowapat

Postby Clue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Lou Siffer wrote:Met with the head of Davenport Parks this morning, and the baskets should be getting ordered within a week.

Got a question for everyone about tee pads. We're trying to eliminate the mess that develops at the end of tee pads from people stepping off during follow through.

We're talking about extending the pad and putting a line through it toward the end that would effectively be the "fault line". Thus giving space for the follow through that would keep you from going off the end of the pad. Has anyone had any experience with this, or have an opinion of how this might/might not work?

Thanks.

They do this at Blue Ribbon Pines. I think on some there was brick in front of the concrete with a blue line and a sign that said blue line was the front of the tee pad.
Clue

Postby smalls51691 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:12 pm

I would like that the pads maybe had a fly pad material all around the cement tee pad.
smalls51691

Postby FB32992 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:08 am

[quote="Lou Siffer"]

I hink this could be done. i would suggest either 1ft by 1ft paver blocks or making the front part a different color of concrete or some type of stamped concrete to signify the line.
"No Chain No Game"
Team Iron Lion
http://www.ironliondgs.com/
FB32992

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for your comments, everyone. Keep 'em coming.

We talked about using the edging trowel to make a line through the pad that would signify the fault line. Then maybe painting something on the OB section with a stencil, like "Out of Bounds".
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Detra319 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 am

Lou Siffer wrote:Met with the head of Davenport Parks this morning, and the baskets should be getting ordered within a week.

Thanks.

Up in Minnesota at the Bryant Lake park area they use that green mesh that has holes in it that they sink into the ground. You can't really tell its there, and it allows for runoff and it keeps the dirt in place. Its basically like the same mesh you would see on say bleacher chairs? Dunno, I will link to it, I was considering using some at the little 9 hole I'm putting in on my dad's farm.
Detra319

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:36 am

Detra319 wrote:

Thanks.

Up in Minnesota at the Bryant Lake park area they use that green mesh that has holes in it that they sink into the ground. You can't really tell its there, and it allows for runoff and it keeps the dirt in place. Its basically like the same mesh you would see on say bleacher chairs? Dunno, I will link to it, I was considering using some at the little 9 hole I'm putting in on my dad's farm.
They did this up at Blue Ribbon Pines as well. They just made the pad a few feet longer and painted a blue line that is the end of the pad. So far it looks to do the trick
SARG27044

Postby TreeLoveInman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 am

I think they fly pad would be a good idea to put out in front...Like a 2ft piece or something. Dont think that would cost as much as extra cement or pavers,I could be wrong.
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby treeMD » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:In therory, a fault line sounds good.
In reality, will all abide by it?

I think it may help somewhat to alleviate wear and tear but not totally.

How about barbed wire? :shock:

I agree that the average recreational player probably wont use the fault line and will probably throw from the end of the concrete tee pad and cause some wear and tear at the end of it. The idea though is to have a long enough tee pad so you can mark a fault line, still have enough pad for a run up and be able to follow through on to the cement without worrying about a nasty mudhole. If the fault line is only used by avid golfers and for tournements then i think its well worth it.

on an additional note, if the city is ready to order baskets, then i feel we should have the course completely marked out with tees and pins before they get the baskets in. this way the city can install the course as soon as the baskets arrive, instead of waiting on us to hold up our end, which i think would look very bad for us. so what are the plans to get this done?
Q 32845
treeMD

PreviousNext

Return to Davenport -- Credit Island