Cubs' Forum (aka-Best team in Baseball)

Sports related topics.

Re: Cubs' Forum (aka-Best team in Baseball)

Postby Single L » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:10 pm

Buzzznation wrote:Projected bullpen
Closer: Ryan Dempster, 24 saves, 4.80 ERA in 2006
RH setup man: Bob Howry, 3.17 ERA in 2006
LH setup man: Scott Eyre, 3.38 ERA in 2006

You left Wood out, He should be a great closer.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:15 pm

porkchop wrote:You left Wood out, He should be a great closer.

not this year atleast. u gotta see if he can survive this year without fukin up his shoulder again. i dont expect much from him.
Abe Froman

Postby Red » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:33 pm

You can't forget about Big Z. He is by far the coolest player on the team. Seriously - how can you doubt a guy who has the balls to yell at God? And the crotch adjustment after every pitch gets me every time - I think he has a talisman down there. I wouldn't call him "comeback player" (BTW, I doubt Prior or Wood make it through the All Star break without injury), but definately one of the most under-rated players out there right now.

And Matt Murton. Gotta love the orange guy! But I am kind of partial to the orange guys . . . :wink:
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.
Red

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 pm

GDL17921 wrote:ballsy, not really. Making that call and hoping that for the last several years---more than likely. :lol:

Who was hoping for it, You? I wasn't. This year I am making the call because I feel like 30th time is the charm. I feel bad for the guy. I just think it is his break. If he is healthy we have all seen what he can do.
Buzzznation

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:57 pm

Red wrote: But I am kind of partial to the orange guys . . . :wink:

ginger kids :twisted:
Abe Froman

Postby Like_Water » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:03 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:
flyinplastic23 wrote:how many cubs threads do we need?

We should probably start a "there's always last year" thread for the Card's.

:D

And what a year....it's fun to win...right Mike?! :D
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:04 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:ballsy, not really. Making that call and hoping that for the last several years---more than likely. :lol:

If he is healthy we have all seen what he can do.

I predict I'll be spending $15 to take the wife and kid to scoff at him at Principal Park....like I did last year at the other "If he's healthy we have all seen what he can do" guy. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:15 pm

porkchop wrote:

You left Wood out, He should be a great loser.

can't believe you missed that Jay...
10up

Postby jack » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:16 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:Casey McGehee enjoyed an impressive Winter League season,

trade bait. he'll never play the majors with the cubs unless aramis gets hurt

I'll give you the fact that Aramis Ramirez's numbers from last year are impressive. But where was he after Derek Lee got hurt? Where was he during the extra-inning game against the Braves when an in-field fly bounced off his head? Where was he when it came to running out ground balls? (Halfway down the line. Scouts can't get a run time on him because he quits.) Where was he against the Brewers when he started his home run trot early and got thrown out at third? And Dusty covered for him everytime. (C'mon, dude. He wasn't doing a home trot, he was just hustling at the wrong time.) If major-league scouts were calling him a "dead-ass player" in his contract season, what do you honestly expect from a fat, happy, well--paid Aramis Ramirez this year?

I'd do the rest of the team, but I have more important things to get to this afternoon. I will say this: If the Cubs are in the thick of the pennant race come August (and I think you have to expect that they will be, what with how bad the NL has been), I'll be be getting out of Chicago just before Ronnie "WooWoo" Wickers leads the legions of red-faced, mush-mouthed, chest-thumping "Cubbie" fans out of their spiderholes. Unfortunately, I'll be in Minnesota and surrounded by "piran-yas" fans.
jack

Postby 10up » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:22 pm

jack wrote:I'd do the rest of the team, but I have more important things to get to this afternoon.

thats what she said... :roll:

sorry I'm bored
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:22 am

10up wrote:
jack wrote:I'd do the rest of the team, but I have more important things to get to this afternoon.

thats what she said... :roll:

sorry I'm bored

:lol:
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 am

10up wrote:
porkchop wrote:

You left Wood out, He should be a great loser.

can't believe you missed that Jay...

I gave up on Wood after his first injury. I called it right away that he woodn't make it. His mechanics are similar to that of an 8 year old just learning the game. Prior on the other hand, is one of the most mechanically sound pitchers out there, he's just had bad luck. I don't even want to know how it feels to have a line drive hit off of my elbow.
Buzzznation

Postby Red » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:40 am

Wood's problem is that he was overworked too early in his career. I give the guy credit for taking a backseat position in the bullpen, but I really can't see him ever returning to his glory form.

Prior was REALLY up and down before he got smacked with the line drive, and I fear he's done for good. Don't forget, he wasn't on the DL before the line drive because of a fluke injury.

The biggest problem last year was offense (how many 1-run games did we lose?) coupled with a par pitching staff (except for my man Big Z and, of course, Maddux when he was on). I don't know how the new lineup will address this, other than gaining a major gun in the outfield. Soriano isn't a small ball player, is he? Great - we'll have more 1-run HR's dribbling in that again fail to get the W.

I just hope Pinella doesn't play the rotation game Dusty played. I don't care how good your team members are individually, if they aren't used to playing together they're never going to be a good team. You need to know who's got your back and trust the person behind you in the lineup to get it done. There were too many would-be heros on the team last year.

But at least we kept the worst catcher in the leage to punch the White Sox in the face again.
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.
Red

Postby RedEye19357 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:54 am

Same old Cubs fans just anthor year, a bunch of BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! It gets old real fast hearing the perdictions of the SCRUBS every yeaar. Just face it they are a AAA team in the big leagues enough said.
RedEye19357

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:57 am

redeye19357 wrote: Just face it theier AAA team could beat most teams in the big leagues enough said.

I think this year that may hold true. The I-Cubs are going to be just as tough as the Chi Cubs. I'm glad you mentioned that. :D
Buzzznation

PreviousNext

Return to Sports