Big Ten - 12th Team

Sports related topics.

Postby grodney » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Okay, I'm not sure what part of it is getting tired: You using it, or me making fun of it.

Point is, using it will ALWAYS be more stupid than making fun of using it.
grodney

Postby The Donator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 pm

grodney wrote:Okay, I'm not sure what part of it is getting tired: You using it, or me making fun of it.

Point is, using it will ALWAYS be more stupid than making fun of using it.

And caring so deeply about it to post something like this trumps all the stupidity of debating it.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby grodney » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Ha ha, that might be true! Or I might be bored.
grodney

Postby 10up » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm

or a faggot
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:03 pm

10up wrote:or a faggot

d) all of the above.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 pm

yeah, but he ain't no KC faggot! :lol:
GDL17921

Postby The Donator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm

GDL5000 wrote:yeah, but he ain't no KC faggot! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby chappyfade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Wow, I'm guessing a Kansas City faggot is some special kind. Please don't enlighten me, however.

Iowa football has been decent the last few years, and ok since the early 80s. Before that, you'd have to go back to the 50s to find a good Iowa football team. You had a good year last year, winning a lot of games late. You won the Orange Bowl. To put that in perspective, Kansas won the Orange Bowl two years ago. Neither Kansas nor you won their conference that year. (KU was 3rd that year, Iowa was 2nd last year). Look where Kansas football is now. Now Kansas IS a basketball school, and that's never going to change. When I think of Iowa, I think of good basketball teams. I think of coaches like Lute Olsen, George Raveling, Dr. Tom Davis. Yeah, football you had Hayden Fry, and Ferentz is getting it done now after sort of a rough start. Just because you were good last year, doesn't make you a traditional powerhouse. I know Iowa fans travel well as well. But you're not in Nebraska's league in that respect, at least as far as football goes. No one is, especially per capita.

Let's put this in more perspective.

Iowa has won 11 Big Ten championships in football since (4 outright, 7 shared).
They've been to 24 bowl games, 22 of which are in the last 29 years.
They claim one national title in 1958, which actually was awarded to LSU in the major polls.
Average attendance at Iowa games is 71,000, but you sell out. Maybe not a fair comparison since Memeorial Stadium in Lincoln holds more people, but Iowa has a much larger population. And they aren't going to Iowa State games.

Nebraska has won 5 national championships.
They've won 20 conference championships since 1955 (Big 8 and Big 12), and 18 of those since 1970.
They've been to 46 bowl games.
They have 3 Hesiman Trophy Winners (Iowa has one..Nile Kinnick in 1939...nice choice to name your stadium after, especially considering he died in World War II very young)
Average attendance at NU games is 85,000.

I'm not bashing Iowa football. You've been decent for the last 30 years or so. But you're not Nebraska. And there's no shame in that.
chappyfade

Postby 10up » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:08 pm

now now now.

Never was I attempting to compare Iowa's NCAA Football resume to Nebraska's. I'm old enough to remember Nebraska's dominance. I also realize their "tradition" is richer than that at U of I. I was only disputing your statement that Iowa is viewed on the national level as a "basketball school".

I dispute this for a few reasons;

Revenue
Recruits
Number of Professional Alumni
Staff Salaries
and my personal belief that if anybody outside of Iowa and/or the Big Ten has heard of the "Hawkeyes". It is most likely due to Football.

I feel post season performances are not useful indicators due to how inherently different the two sports' post seasons are.

And just to be clear. I can't really speak on perceptions from over 30 years ago. However, I also don't believe it takes longer than 30 years for those perceptions to change. If (and I stress "if" because I'm not convinced it actually was the perception back then), but again, if Iowa was considered a Basketball school in 1965 then fine. That was over 30 Chucking years ago...

/and just an FYI, if you aren't in a Rieman's music store, nobody will know what Kansas City Faggot means.
10up

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Cydisc

Postby 10up » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 pm

except for Steve
10up

Postby chappyfade » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 am

Cydisc wrote:KC Faggots (2:00)

Wow, I had forgotten about that excellent Blazing Saddles reference.

Dan, my main point was that you're not going to shut Nebraska fans out of Kinnick. Won't happen. They always find a way in in big numbers. It is the perception outside the Big 10 universe (and I live outside the Big 10 universe, so I'm telling you) that Iowa is basketball school in tradition that has recent fair success in football. I think actually, they are comparably to Missouri in that respect, except that Iowa has had a little more recent success in football, but Missouri's football tradition goes back more years, and Mizzou has been snakebit in hoops over the years. (See Tyus Edney). Mizzou and Iowa are actually fairly comparable. The stadium size is almost exactly the same. Iowa done a better job selling it out for every game, but Mizzou sells out for big games (and for those in the know, Mr. Greenwood, we know that there are at least as many fans at the tailgate as inside.)

Dan, our perceptions are probably driven by the fact that I'm 14 years older than you, and I remember older stuff while you remember the newer stuff. Iowa's more recent success has certainly been on the gridiron.
chappyfade

Postby irban » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:33 am

I agree with 10up in this respect. I don't know that Iowa's basketball tradition is any richer than it's football tradition. Maybe we're a field hockey school?

Hey, we did have Mongo though...

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby crazykrug » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 am

I always thought Iowa was known for their wrestling program, don't they have like a billion national titles :lol: :lol: :lol:
crazykrug

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:22 am

I'm pretty sure that Iowa's FB reputation is only as old as Hayden Fry's third season.
Cydisc

PreviousNext

Return to Sports