MLB Replay

Sports related topics.

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:14 pm

The Donator wrote:You see what you did there McClelland? You Chuck up and make the worst call of all time and you have people on disc golf boards talking about robots and shit taking over the game, you son of a bitch

This sounds like a question for the man himself on his radio show...or a verbal berating, one of the two. Just dont call him after you've had a few! :lol:
discgolfduval

Postby 10up » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:16 pm

replay has always been and will always be a touchy subject in any sport. Baseball even moreso. The problem with baseball is that fans are such stat hungry, thick necked, traditionalists that they can find any reason that any change is going to "dilute the integrity" of the game. But the game always changes. Otherwise yous guys would be goins to play stickball after school.

Replay is great. Technology now allows us to be more accurate in calling any type of game. Accuracy, in regards to competition, is NEVER a bad thing. Regardless of how you try to spin it. And if you think about it. Look at how it has effected the NFL. Now with Coach's challenges and Ump reviews, it's added another layer of involvement and strategy to the game. Sometimes those challenges can be the most anxious moments of the game, and if you have a coach that's horrible at it, it exposes elements of a team and system that otherwise wouldn't be apparent.

Baseball sucks anyway...
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby The Donator » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:20 pm

10up wrote: how it has affected the NFL.

J/S
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:57 pm

The Donator wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:And there is always human error, as well as officials who get paid off the throw games by making horrible calls. What game am I thinking of where an Iowa reciever got called for a facemask, when it was the defender who had his facemask? Its Chucking ridiculous and Im sick of seeing horrible calls that destroy a teams chance of getting the W.

That would be the Florida/Iowa bowl game a few years ago, same one where we got fucked on the onside kick ruling at the end of the game, C-USA hacks...

You guys are making one of my points here. You got to have something to blame the loss on. Who better than the refs.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
The Donator wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:And there is always human error, as well as officials who get paid off the throw games by making horrible calls. What game am I thinking of where an Iowa reciever got called for a facemask, when it was the defender who had his facemask? Its Chucking ridiculous and Im sick of seeing horrible calls that destroy a teams chance of getting the W.

That would be the Florida/Iowa bowl game a few years ago, same one where we got fucked on the onside kick ruling at the end of the game, C-USA hacks...

You guys are making one of my points here. You got to have something to blame the loss on. Who better than the refs.
HOW IS THIS ONE OF YOUR POINTS? If anything it totally goes against what you were saying. This is a reason we need replay. i think you said you dont want it?
SARG27044

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:25 pm

My point is part of being a sports fan and/or player is bitching about the calls by the umps/ refs. Blaming lost games on the umps/ refs. It's human nature. You want to take that away from baseball? You and I both know that had the Yanks/ Angels game been decided by a run when McLellan blew that call, that call would have decided the series (by the media's standards) whether it was 4-0 or 4-3. It would have been talked about forever. Then we could listen to Lindsley complain all next year how the Yank's would have won the World Series and Cano would lose his job for being an idiot. With the replay you get none of that.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Great discussion though. I think there are advantages and disadvatages to both. I think I look at it more as a player an you guys a fan. I think if you asked MLB players majority of them would say no to the replay. Ask majority of fans and media they would be for it.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby The Donator » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Buzzznation wrote: Then we could listen to Lindsley complain all next year how the Yank's would have won the World Series and Cano would lose his job for being an idiot. With the replay you get none of that.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Dont worry, visions of 2004's ALCS are haunting me again...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:51 pm

10up wrote: Sometimes those challenges can be the most anxious moments of the game, and if you have a coach that's horrible at it, it exposes elements of a team and system that otherwise wouldn't be apparent.

Im not sure Gunther Cunningham has ever won a challenge. He would exemplify this perfectly.
discgolfduval

Postby Single L » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 am

Buzzznation wrote:I think if you asked MLB players majority of them would say no to the replay. Ask majority of fans and media they would be for it.
I'm pretty sure as fans we should get more of a say than the players as we are the ones that make their multi-million dollar salaries possible.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:16 pm

anybody get a replay of Philips' Tyler fall yesterday......yessssssssss.ss.
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:19 pm

GDL5000 wrote:anybody get a replay of Philips' Tyler fall yesterday......yessssssssss.ss.
Glad i didnt see it. If I had I might have walked with a limp the rest of the day too
SARG27044

Postby gocards300 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:33 am

Man, they sure could have used some instant replay last night....yankees suck dick
gocards300

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:54 am

gocards300 wrote:Man, they sure could have used some instant replay last night....yankees suck dick
agreed. Nice strike zone :roll:
SARG27044

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am

Watching last nights game I brainstormed several scenarios in which I'm curious if you guys think the replay should be used.

1) Catching line drives/ fly balls (like Howard's play last night)

2) Touching second base on double plays. I'm pretty sure that probably 25% of the time the they don't touch second base on turned double plays. To extend that the first baseman touching first. There are instances where the firstbaseman removes his foot early often times to save his ankle from being stepped on.

3) I think it's been determined here that balls/ strikes should not be reviewed. What about checked swings. This is something missed all the time.

4) Batters hit by pitch. You often see where the ball grazes, or looks like it grazed the players jersey.

5) Runners tagging up. If I were a manager in a close game with replay, I would review this everytime.

6) Close Plays at the plate. Again review everytime. Along with this any close tag out plays at any base.

7) Fan interference. We've all seen those drunk guys in the outfeild that hang over the edge to get a ground ball that was fair down the line. It appears that he touches it so the player gets a double instead of a would be triple. Do you review that?

8 ) Balk's by a pitcher. So many times this is not called when it should be.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:01 pm

I watched the game last night and didn't think replay would work in the first blown call instance. I mean, you have to have a quick decision and the play changes, it's not over. not like football where plays die.

I recant my support for replay. Human error is a beautiful thing.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Sports