MLB Replay

Sports related topics.

MLB Replay

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:11 am

Obviously the hot topic of this years playoffs. As in years before since the conception of replay in the NFL. This even more so especially with the bonehead call by McClelland (a West Des Moines native for those that didn't know).

Maybe it's just that I played ball for 20 years with out it but I think it's ridiculous. Arguing calls from the ump in baseball is part of the game. Some of my favorite highlights are of the managers going out in getting in the umps face and kicking dirt.
Baseball is already slow enough. NFL is different, a much faster pace that with more bodies and more things happening that make some calls extremely difficult to make. In baseball you typically just watching the ball and you have 4-6 guys doing it. I hope this never happens and shouldn't even be considered.

They say what if that play by McClelland was a game decider in game 7 of the WS. Well it wasn't, and baseball is definately a game that is not decided on one play. People would want to kill him if this were the case, but it wouldn't be why the series is lost.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 am

I think it should be used to see if homeruns were really homeruns and in cases where the baserunner and the throw to the bag are too close to call. Other then that it can do without it
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:33 am

At first I was against replay because for some reason baseball just seems different when it comes to umps making these calls and the traditionalist in me thinks it would be kind a dumb. But like you were saying, what if it comes down to a play at the end of a game and a team gets screwed. Sure you can say it hasn't happened yet but why would baseball even want to make it a possibility that something like that COULD happen, when it could easily be avoidable with todays technology. Baseball is an incredibly slow game already so another 5-10 minutes certainly isnt going to bother anyone. I like the idea of getting a few challenges. I never thought this would work in Tennis either but I love it. Sure you cant challenge anything and everything but this would go along way in making sure some of these absoloutely absurd calls dont happen.
discgolfduval
 
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: MLB Replay

Postby Single L » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 am

Buzzznation wrote: McClelland (a West Des Moines native for those that didn't know).


He still lives in DSM as does Eric Cooper another MLB Ump. The two have a show in the offseason called Umps Eye View on KXNO. It’s a pretty good show, although they are a tad dry, but you get to hear a perspective on the game you rarely get (or only get when their ass is on the line).

I think you need replay in Baseball, but only for reviewable plays, i.e. foul balls, close plays at the bag, and home runs. Pitching should not be touched.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:14 am

The way I look at it is. The umps make mistakes on calls. Just as players make mistakes on the field. If the shortstop has a ground ball go through his legs, or better yet gets a bad hop over his head, it's an error, you can't change that. If the players are allowed to make mistakes, why not the umpires? Sure it affects the result of the play, but so does a missed fly ball.

What's next? They also mentioned they have some type of mechanism that calls balls and strikes and when tested someone bounced a ball in and it was called a strike.

What can I say, I'm a traditionalist. No one would get ejected from games anymore other than pitching/ hitting related instances. It would take away a very exciting part of the game IMO.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby Single L » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:34 am

Buzzznation wrote:The way I look at it is. The umps make mistakes on calls. Just as players make mistakes on the field. If the shortstop has a ground ball go through his legs, or better yet gets a bad hop over his head, it's an error, you can't change that. If the players are allowed to make mistakes, why not the umpires? Sure it affects the result of the play, but so does a missed fly ball.

This is the dumbest logic to an argument that I have ever heard. Mistakes that players make are part of the game and usually decided the outcome. This is true in all sports. Refs are not players (in any sport) and their mistakes should not decided the game. Your argument is like comparing an incomplete pass in football. The QB is allowed to make the mistake its part of the game; the refs are not.

Buzzznation wrote:What's next? They also mentioned they have some type of mechanism that calls balls and strikes and when tested someone bounced a ball in and it was called a strike.

They should only review reviewable plays like I mentioned before. If you leave the pitching alone you don’t change the game and you have a better sport. Football is better because of replay. They don't review penalties; this would be comparable to pitching in baseball.

Buzzznation wrote: What can I say, I'm a traditionalist. No one would get ejected from games anymore other than pitching/ hitting related instances. It would take away a very exciting part of the game IMO.

This is true , but that’s a minimal loss for making the most flawed sport better.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am

good posts guys. I agree with Philips.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8554
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:48 am

porkchop wrote:This is the dumbest logic to an argument that I have ever heard. Mistakes that players make are part of the game and usually decided the outcome. This is true in all sports. Refs are not players (in any sport) and their mistakes should not decided the game. Your argument is like comparing an incomplete pass in football. The QB is allowed to make the mistake its part of the game; the refs are not.


Is it that dumb? Why have umps then? Just have the players make the call, then if there is a descrepency check the replay. Better yet, lets not even play the games, and simulate them on the computer, no chance of error with that.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby gocards300 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am

So would umps not call fair and foul balls anymore?? Any ball hit would be considered fair and then after the play, it can be reviewed after the manager throws the red flag on the field? Does a manager only get 3 challenges a game?

I can't wait to watch a 7 hour 9 inning game...at least the concessions will make more money and more of buzz's family will get drunk in chicago and charge the field to beat the shit out of coachs.
Image
User avatar
gocards300
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Madrid

Postby gocards300 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

Buzzznation wrote:Better yet, lets not even play the games, and simulate them on the computer, no chance of error with that.


I like this idea, however I get to write the program that simulates the games.
Image
User avatar
gocards300
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Madrid

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Our manager in college would go out and argue a call to intentionally get thrown out of the game to get our team fired up. Nothings better than sitting in the seats and yelling obsinities at an ump for a horrible call (right or wrong) and then bitching about it for the rest of the game. I would just hate to see those aspects of the game taken away.
I agree with the homerun replay, only because of how jacked up some the outfeild walls are and it's almost impossible to determine what's a homer and what's not.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Albert Pujols is up with the bases loaded down a run in the bottom of the ninth game 7 of the WS with 2 outs, down a run with a full count. Kerry Wood throws a fastball clearly 1 foot outside and it's called a strike. Do you reveiw that?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm not reading all that shit...but I will say, if you do what you've always done because that's they way you've always done it, you'll only get where you already are.

Technology changes everything, why does baseball pretend it's so pure?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
User avatar
Like_Water
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am
Location: Milky Way

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I understand the tradionalist arguement there Whitson. I think maybe the replays should/would/could only be called upon by the umpires. They would look to replay when there's a call that they feel was really close, or a player blocked their line of sight, (like that HORRIBLE missed ball that was not foul down the left field line), HR's and fouls, but never institute replay for balls and strikes. I do agree with you that strike zone replay would take a lot away from the game. As long as an umpire is calling a strike zone consistently, I don't care if it's below the knee or up to a guy's shoulders.

Aren't these guys are evaluated on their performance? So whether or not replay is instituted, it's been being used to <hopefully> get the best guys with the best track record for the most important games? Right? I'm more asking, becuase I'm not sure how that works for postseason play. I think that they do that with the NFL as well, try and get the best crews for the playoffs, and superbowl.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8554
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:33 pm

McClelland is one of the best umpires in the game. He has a heck of a resume with several postseason appearances. He was the one that called back George Brett's homerun because of the illegal bat. I believe he was also the Homeplate ump when Sosa's corked bat exploded.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Next

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron