MMA

Sports related topics.

Postby Like_Water » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:58 pm

This event was driven solely by Chael Sonnen. And after the smack talk, he delivered.

Around 1 Million PPV buys is being estimated, and I wouldn't be surprised if you see alot of post event buys. The buzz was big before the event, and after it delivered, people are still talking about it.

Hearing people the are casual fans talk about it before and after is pretty exciting. The UFC is raking it in, and the global expansion is creeping along nicely. They just broke into China, and that's going to be huge for them. New York is still fighting it, but I think we'll see a show in MSG sooner rather than later.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:29 pm

The fights on VS last night were intense to say the least Austin Pettis is full of video game combos but he seemd to be conservative when he needed to and the announcers said he learnd his takedown defense from Ben Askern(hope i didnt mess that last name up) and not only did he defend the takedown he took his opponent down twice. The rest of fights were just as exciting if not more. I seem to like the fighters in the WEC more than the UFC the fights always seem to be exciting.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Like_Water » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 am

LOOTOWNDISKR wrote: I seem to like the fighters in the WEC more than the UFC the fights always seem to be exciting.

The lighter weight classes are the most exciting in MMA. It's only a matter of time before the UFC rolls the WEC into it's org. But right now they don't have to pay these guys much under the WEC banner.
Like_Water

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Its kinda funny that Dana White wasnt tryn to see Kimbo in the cage unless he proved himself first then why put James Toney in with Randy? Besides the fact hes a proven fighter in the ring and its an attractive fight with two well known names. It just seems to me that if its making money Dana will jump all over it and kinda do it Don King style. I just think Randy is going to take him down and pound him but I have been wrong before. :lol:
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Like_Water » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:54 pm

YES! BJ gets his belt back, and Randy gets to prove why MMA is superior to boxing. Of course, this is MMA and anything can happen. I think James Toney in the Octagon makes more sense than Brock getting a title shot with only a few fights, but hey, it’s entertainment first, sport second….just like all sports. Always looking for a good stream…..
Like_Water

Postby Bradbalk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Overall kind of a lackluster event, all the fights seemed pretty one sided.

I was glad Randy did exactly what everyone predicted and made Tony look like a fool.

Whats up with Penn? Did he have to cut to much weight, he seemed slow and lacking focus.
Is this the line for the beer, or the line for the coupons for the beer?
Bradbalk
Site Admin

Postby OU812_LukeS » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:16 am

I think Penn is still dangerous but like Anderson Silva, only to fighters who buy into it or play his game. That plus Penn's conditioning has always been a little suspect while Frankie Edgar seems to have two or three hearts. Penn fought the same fight as last time, while Edgar seemed to just get even better.

Edgar and Maynard aren't known for finishing fights but there's a lot of parity at 155lbs.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby Hamer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Are there any comments on the upcoming UFC 119 event?

Mir vs. Cro Cop.

Bader vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Mir should beat Cro Cop and Bader vs. Nogueira has the potential to be a great fight.
Hamer

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:57 pm

Note to self if ever facing an opponent who uses leglocks remember to grease them up. That was an interesting fight to say the least wish it would have went further it should have. The fight before that was great though Oliviera dances pretty fast and wraps around a mofo like bisqueen!
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Like_Water » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Hamer wrote:Are there any comments on the upcoming UFC 119 event?

Mir vs. Cro Cop.

Bader vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Mir should beat Cro Cop and Bader vs. Nogueira has the potential to be a great fight.

Jeremy Stephens vs. Melvin Guillard should be a battle. :twisted:

Serra vs Lytle will be interesting as well. Lytle is never in a boring fight.

Also, Evan Dunham vs. old balls Sean Sherk. I'll take Dunham all day.
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Jeremy Stephens vs. Melvin Guillard should be a battle. :twisted:

Stephens is more than likely going to get his ass whooped. There is always a punchers chance I guess.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Like_Water » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:Jeremy Stephens vs. Melvin Guillard should be a battle. :twisted:

Stephens is more than likely going to get his ass whooped. There is always a punchers chance I guess.

What?!!?!?! Granite chin and fists of fury....someone's gonna get knocked out, but I'd give the edge to Stephens for sure due to his chin.

25/09/2010
10:00 PM (EST) 1401

Jeremy Stephens +140
Melvin Guillard -160

The line shows an edge to Guillard, but not much...only because Stephens isn't known for submissions.
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:51 pm

I am hoping the local boy does good, but Guillard is a very explosive fighter. The one thing that Stephens does have going for himself is that he has moved out to California and is training with a pretty decent camp.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Anyone watch Ultimate Gracie :?: I would give it a must watch for mma fans.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Like_Water » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:51 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:The one thing that Stephens does have going for himself is that he has moved out to California and is training with a pretty decent camp.

my co worker runs around with his cousin...I guess whenever he comes back here his buddies just pick fights and get him in trouble. I think he moved his whole family down there finally, and he's 2-3 wins from a title shot. IMO he doesn't have the wrestling to compete with a Jim Miller, Frankie Edgar, or Gray Maynard. Sucks the LW division is getting stale at the top.
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Sports