My First Hockey Game...

Sports related topics.

My First Hockey Game...

Postby Clue » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 pm

...since I was about 8 years old. Went to the Chops Saturday night. I thought it was a great time. Good venue, they played well, thought they put on a pretty good show, and the tickets were perfectly priced. Thanks Scott.

There's no question it's a totally different game in person, much better than on TV. But I don't get the fighting. Obviously I'm not the most educated hockey critic, but I'm probably more knowledgeable about sports in general than most people, and I just don't see the need. There were 3 fights in the 1st quar....errr....period which seemed to last forever. After the 1st intermission the rest of the game was great and flowed well. I could totally do without it.
Clue

Postby shane » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:43 am

I personally feel like we need that in disc golf.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Like_Water » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:46 am

Yeah, I really enjoy live hockey too. It's action packed and the pacing is good. The Chops are sloppy, but it's still exciting. I've been to one NHL game and I've never heard dead silence where 10000 people were intently watching a game. I just didn't think it was possible in America, until I went to a NHL game.

The $7 seats are very reasonable.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby irban » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:51 am

shane wrote:I personally feel like we need that in disc golf.

Well, you tried but it didn't catch on.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Sniper26 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:19 am

Fighting most certainly has it's place in the game. Do you know why they fight at hockey games? Because they can! All kidding aside, fighting has many warranted situations in hockey. It puts fans in the seats, to protect teammates, to send a message, to fire up your team and your home crowd, and sometimes two grown men just decided it would be fun to beat the shit out of each other. I feel fighting is a great thing at the pro level, but the problem is when you get some jackoff that watches way to games from his lazy boy and then decides he is going to start playing and he is a instant tough guy. At least 1 out of 5 newbs thinks they are going to go out and drop gloves, then they realize they can't stand up on skates and you get thrown out of the facility in house leagues.
Sniper26

Re: My First Hockey Game...

Postby Buzzznation » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Clue wrote: There were 3 fights in the 1st quar....errr....period which seemed to last forever.

Lucky bastard. I agree, hockey is one of the very few sports that I don't follow or watch on tv. But I love going to the games. Especially when they have $1 beer nights at the Bucs games.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Re: My First Hockey Game...

Postby dischawk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Buzzznation wrote: But I love going to the games. Especially when they have $1 beer nights at the Bucs games.

Can't go wrong there!
Holy shit we got a psycho in league! Don't piss that kid off!
dischawk

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am

Sniper26 wrote:Fighting most certainly has it's place in the game. Do you know why they fight at hockey games? Because they can! All kidding aside, fighting has many warranted situations in hockey. It puts fans in the seats, to protect teammates, to send a message, to fire up your team and your home crowd, and sometimes two grown men just decided it would be fun to beat the shit out of each other. I feel fighting is a great thing at the pro level, but the problem is when you get some jackoff that watches way to games from his lazy boy and then decides he is going to start playing and he is a instant tough guy. At least 1 out of 5 newbs thinks they are going to go out and drop gloves, then they realize they can't stand up on skates and you get thrown out of the facility in house leagues.

As a former High School and Collegiate (Club Level) hockey player I can attest that these are the top two reasons for fighting. The number one reason is to protect your teammates. We were in a game against Central Missouri State and one of their guys tripped our goalie causing our goalie to fly backwards into the net. Thant's uncalled for, and you always protect your goalie, so I knocked his ass off his skates and into the net. He proceeded to take his stick and jab me in the face with the butt. This cleared the benches and me and the dude went at it ......... his pansy ass went down ........ again. In another game against Lindenwood, me and guy, that had 4 inches and about 40 lbs on me, we very physical and at odds all game. They scored two unanswered goals on us to make it 2-1. In the beginning of the 3rd our team was playing half assed and not producing any quality shots. We were facing off in our end and I hooked my leg around guys skate causing him to trip up and allowing me to get to the puck first, he charged me into the boards (a charge is when you take more than 3 strides before you check another player) I got in his face then we went at it. I got my ass handed to me, but it charged our team. We went on to tie the game, the game ended on a tie.

So yes fighting definitely has its place in the game.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Clue » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:58 am

Every argument you make could be made in football, but they don't seem to need it.
Clue

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm

football isn't a continuously moving game either. Quit trying to argue about something you know nothing about. Stick to what you know, even though you suck at that too. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Clue wrote:Every argument you make could be made in football, but they don't seem to need it.

Read this Wiki Article if you want more info

Here's the short version of why .........

The relative lack of rules in the early history of hockey encouraged physical intimidation and control. The implementation of some features, such as the blue lines in 1918, actually encouraged fighting due to the increased level of physical play. Creation of the blue lines allowed forward passing, but only in the neutral zone. Therefore, puck handlers played at close quarters and were subject to a great deal of physical play. The emergence of enforcers, who protected the puck handlers and fought when necessary, followed shortly thereafter.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Clue » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Whatever, stop foot-faulting.
Clue

Return to Sports