A-Rod

Sports related topics.

Postby The Donator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
The Donator wrote:Give him a break. A-Rod is the shit. You still have to make contact with the ball, steroids doesnt help you do that.

but what about base running, would it help there? Or being able to throw the ball from 3rd to 1st on one knee..would it help there?

No
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 am

The Donator wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:
The Donator wrote:Give him a break. A-Rod is the shit. You still have to make contact with the ball, steroids doesnt help you do that.

but what about base running, would it help there? Or being able to throw the ball from 3rd to 1st on one knee..would it help there?

No

ok, just checking.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:13 am

Wrong. A-Fraud is a steroid monkey and will now have a harder time making the hall of fame. Hes full of shit, not honest. He really desont deserve any credit as he is paying people thousands of dollars to make his decisions, and he is still making the wrong ones.

How can anyone feel this way? Look at how he berated that SI reporter, called her a stalker that was thrown out of here and there, then 2 days later he called and apologized....in private, behind closed doors. He already drug her threw the mud publicly, then figured he could clear it up by calling her and probably offering some sort of interview deal. Now S.I. is demanding a public apology which is just going to make him look like more of a liar.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:15 am

MDR_3000 wrote:
The Donator wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:

No

ok, just checking.

Oh, it only makes you hit more home runs than you ever had, or will again? Give me a break. I have defended A-Rod the whole time until this came out. I would pull out old baseball cards and compare weights and appearances, defending the fact his body changed because he was growing up and had access to better trainers. Yeah.

Chase20460

Postby swan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:30 am

By the time these guys make it to this level, making contact with the ball isn't the goal. They've all hit a few homers by now. :roll:
swan

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am

Chase20460 wrote:I would pull out old baseball cards and compare weights and appearances, defending the fact his body changed because he was growing up and had access to better trainers. Yeah.

Yeah, but in his interview he said he bench pressed more in highschool than he does now :lol: Even more the reason to prove that he was on something.

I would hope that majority of the league got to the bigs with minimal if any use of substances (more and more each day I wonder). The fact is, most of these guys don't need the stuff to perform at a higher level. Unfortunately, many of these same guys are so competitive they feel they have to perform better, with the fans, media, contracts, etc.. playing a factor.
Like I said before, I like ARod. IMO he would probably still perform at an MVP level even if he never touched a drug in his life. 50+ homeruns, that's pushing it, but it's hard to tell anymore because you can't believe anything these guys are saying. ANd that is what drives me crazy, and is making this worse than it is. That and the inconsistancy of the MLB, and the players union, and the 30 other people/ organizations that have an impact in deciding the testing policies/ penalties.
The more these guys get on the big stage and b*llsh8t around the more doubt it is going to put in people.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby The Donator » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Chase20460 wrote:

Wrong. A-Fraud is a steroid monkey and will now have a harder time making the hall of fame. Hes full of shit, not honest. He really desont deserve any credit as he is paying people thousands of dollars to make his decisions, and he is still making the wrong ones.

How can anyone feel this way? Look at how he berated that SI reporter, called her a stalker that was thrown out of here and there, then 2 days later he called and apologized....in private, behind closed doors. He already drug her threw the mud publicly, then figured he could clear it up by calling her and probably offering some sort of interview deal. Now S.I. is demanding a public apology which is just going to make him look like more of a liar.

Nah hes fine, still HOF material. 90+% of this hate is coming towards him because he is a Yankee. If he was putting up decent numbers still for the hopeless Mariners, this wouldnt be anywhere a big of deal as it is. F the Yankee haters
The Donator

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:34 pm

The Donator wrote:Nah hes fine, still HOF material. 90+% of this hate is coming towards him because he is a Yankee. If he was putting up decent numbers still for the hopeless Mariners, this wouldnt be anywhere a big of deal as it is. F the Yankee haters

If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby The Donator » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:37 pm

^^^ Fail ^^^
The Donator

Postby RedBird88 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:46 pm

The problem with the A-Rod situation and the use of enhancement drugs in general is two-fold. First too many people benefit from the results of people using of steroids or other drugs. Second, people are afraid of the backlash that comes from standing up for whats right, so much so that the line between right and wrong has become blurred. And this isn't just limited to baseball. Examples can be found right in our own areas and our own sport. MLB won't do anything about A-Rod because he's too popular, he's too deeply engrained in the sport, the team owner he plays for carries too much influence and I feel baseball was really hoping he would break Bond's home run mark to get him and his problems off the face of the sport.
Should they do something about A-Rod? Absolutely! It can be argued that his positive test results in 2003 shouldn't be considered because it came before the current drug testing rules. Perhaps it wasn't against the rules in the sport of baseball, but it was against the law. So much for right and wrong. The real issue should be that he was still using steroids in 2004 which was against the rules of baseball and he was tipped off in advance by the players union about a random drug test! Too many people feel it would be bad for baseball to have a big name like A-Rod disciplined for his actions, so the behavior is basically being condoned. They'll kick around some little known guys and say they're dealing with the issue.
We can find examples of this same way of dealing with problems in our own communities and our own sport. We have issues in the our sport that should be dealt with, but don't because they involve too big a name, carry too much infuence or supply a product to key people that makes it hard for others to do the right thing. I'll use the "smoking enhancement drugs and how it affects the image and growth of our sport issue" from another thread as an example. If there is anyone out there that doesn't think this sport carries with it the stigma of being a "druggie" sport and that that stigma doesn't prevent it from becoming more mainstream then they're either smoking too much of their own product or have their head in the sand. Anyone looking at this forum alone can see how engrained drugs are in the sport. There's a thread on here where you can learn how to grow you own pot in your basement by buying parts from your local Lowes! Quite detailed as a matter of fact. Look at the issue with the anchorman's flipant remark in Des Moines about the sport. The only way to change that image is to remove drugs of any form from the game, in all aspects and levels of the game. Sound extreme? Not really. Are you serioulsy telling me that a person can't go two or three hours without lighting up! The reason this sport isn't mainstream isnt because it's hard to televize, it's done every week on tv with golf. It's not that it can't be promoted, it's that if it IS promoted and more people get involved in the sport and run into the "smoking" issue, then this issue will have to be dealt with and people are afraid of the fall out with current, long time players. And we're back where we started. Do the right thing and face the wrath, or find reasons to make the current situation acceptable and continue to complain that things aren't getting any better.
Of course I'm not saying everyone who plays is a druggie or a junkie, and I'm sure someone will bring up the issue of alcohol. Until alcohol is illegal that issue just isn't the same, sorry. What it come's down to is what each individual person feels his or her responsibility is. If you're out playing a casual round is it ok to light up? Each person will have to make that desicion, but if you do and even one person sees you, then take responsibility for helping to continue the stereotype. If it helps you relax and play better, is smoking at a tourney or league any different than A-Rod taking steroids?
RedBird88

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am

The Donator wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:

Nah hes fine, still HOF material. 90+% of this hate is coming towards him because he is a Yankee. If he was putting up decent numbers still for the hopeless Mariners, this wouldnt be anywhere a big of deal as it is. F the Yankee haters

YFC. If he was still playing for the Mariners this would be a bigger deal. MLB protects the Yankees and thier players because they are the most influential team in baseball. Or at least the one that makes them the most money. The Yankees are like the Dallas Cowboys in that any press is good press, thats the only reason it isnt totally covered up. Its not F the Yankee haters, its F the Yankees and MLB.

Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 am

Chase20460 wrote:He really desont deserve any credit as he is paying people thousands of dollars to make his decisions, and he is still making the wrong ones.

Kinda sounds like the rest of the businessmen in this country.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:30 pm

RedBird88 wrote:Should they do something about A-Rod? Absolutely! It can be argued that his positive test results in 2003 shouldn't be considered because it came before the current drug testing rules. Perhaps it wasn't against the rules in the sport of baseball, but it was against the law.

True, which IMO, is the only reason the pot in disc golf arguements carry any weight.

The real issue should be that he was still using steroids in 2004 which was against the rules of baseball and he was tipped off in advance by the players union about a random drug test! Too many people feel it would be bad for baseball to have a big name like A-Rod disciplined for his actions, so the behavior is basically being condoned. They'll kick around some little known guys and say they're dealing with the issue.

So nobody else involved with steroids were worth protecting?

We can find examples of this same way of dealing with problems in our own communities and our own sport. We have issues in the our sport that should be dealt with, but don't because they involve too big a name, carry too much infuence or supply a product to key people that makes it hard for others to do the right thing. I'll use the "smoking enhancement drugs and how it affects the image and growth of our sport issue" from another thread as an example. If there is anyone out there that doesn't think this sport carries with it the stigma of being a "druggie" sport and that that stigma doesn't prevent it from becoming more mainstream then they're either smoking too much of their own product or have their head in the sand.

Okay, where is your proof this is keeping the sport down? I see things from a different light, but I "must be smoking too much of my own product". Id be lying if I said it wasnt out there, but I would also be lying if I said I thought it was the biggest problem in disc golf or the reason that disc golf is a joke to most people. Its funny, but all this steroids talk hasnt hurt baseball at all. They are making money hand over fist. I always thought a few bad apples spoiled the bunch? Why isnt this the case with baseball , as youve figured this out to be the problem in disc golf? Ill tell you why. MONEY. Thats the exact reason baseball covers it up, and why the union can tip people off, the fear of losing that money. Disc Golf has no money, so it has no resources to cover things up, which is why it is an issue. Disc Golf is also full of people that act and say things yet do the complete opposite. Come to think of it, it must be a real problem in disc golf, considering every time Ive been to a major tournament and I go to the wing of PDGA Officials rooms, it smells like somebody let a skunk loose. And they are obviously very concerned and doing thier own experiments on how to change perception. WRONG. They just want to give you the easiest excuse as to why they havent efficently done thier job. If pot in disc golf is one thing, its a detractor of motivation, and for that the sport suffers.

Anyone looking at this forum alone can see how engrained drugs are in the sport. There's a thread on here where you can learn how to grow you own pot in your basement by buying parts from your local Lowes! Quite detailed as a matter of fact.

Yeah. You too can find that on the internet. Its not hard, most of what I posted came directly from the MSNBC report "Marijuana, INC." Its a detailed program about how California is working against Federal Law to build back its economy and deplete its overpacked prison population by not busting users. Nowhere in that post was there instructions on how to build a grow room, or anything like that. What was discussed was the massive profits involved and how every state should be utilizing that , as opposed to just Californians. I can tell you though. Get some big ass lights and a bucket of dirt. Its not much more complicated than that. Also, since I obviously didnt do a good enough job making my point with that post was that there are people making millions of dollars basically trafficking marijuana across the country form a protected location. Alot of people have no idea what kind of money is involved in medical marijuana, or marijuana in general, and those that dont should know, as it may change thier point of view. You choose to take it as a reference guide, basically because it suits your arguement. I deleted the post 3 days ago, so I cant go back to it. You can check out the story though on MSNBC. Also, this is a public forum with hundreds of individule posts. If people used your forum, eventually threads are going to take an adult lead, and topics are going to go off base, probably to the point they shouldnt. At least youd be there to monitor it. And yes, you can say it doesnt present good, and I would agree, but there is also a lack of young people in disc golf, and even less on these forums. I do feel if this was more of a site similar to yours, alot less adult content would be posted. A site is what you make it. You have built a great resourceful web site, this is a public forum. The content is going to revolve around whats adding to it.

Look at the issue with the anchorman's flipant remark in Des Moines about the sport. The only way to change that image is to remove drugs of any form from the game, in all aspects and levels of the game. Sound extreme? Not really. Are you serioulsy telling me that a person can't go two or three hours without lighting up!

No, its not extreme, just far off from happening because not everyone thinks the way You, Clue and Corey think. If it were such a problem why isnt the police showing up at tournaments or staking out the courses busting people right and left? Do they just not give a shit? I mean, its illegal right? Is it the money that these citys are commiting? It must be. I think at the City Council meetings, they pull the Chief of police aside and say, "Hey. We got alot invested in this disc golf, we need to make sure they dont get a black eye. These guys carry around bongs and run naked thorugh the woods smoking thier devil weed....but they bring us millions in revenue."

The reason this sport isn't mainstream isnt because it's hard to televize, it's done every week on tv with golf. It's not that it can't be promoted, it's that if it IS promoted and more people get involved in the sport and run into the "smoking" issue, then this issue will have to be dealt with and people are afraid of the fall out with current, long time players. And we're back where we started. Do the right thing and face the wrath, or find reasons to make the current situation acceptable and continue to complain that things aren't getting any better.

BULLSHIT. Im calling it Joe, Im sorry. Theres less than 40k members of the PDGA. Thats why it isnt on TV. It doesnt matter if a million may play, GOLF can prove millions play as they are paying members to not only GOLF associations, but Country Clubs and community programs. They also have how many millions in sponsors, mainly brought on by various manufactors, unlike disc golf that has about 5. You are all missing the point, and that is that recreational disc golf is what is setting trends, nothing in the PDGA is. I agree, if you want to change perception of this game it has to start with us, but it still isnt getting us on TV.

Of course I'm not saying everyone who plays is a druggie or a junkie, and I'm sure someone will bring up the issue of alcohol. Until alcohol is illegal that issue just isn't the same, sorry.

Whatever. People will still say the same shit about grass, even if it were legal. Its an easy arguement. The only reason alcohol is legal is because prohibition was recalled because of the amount of money going in to fight it and the fact they couldnt stop the flow of illegal money going into the wrong hands. Perhaps posts like the one I made that you refer to would make more sense if you had a firmer understanding on what you were talking about, or understood what I was trying to point out. I obviously did a bad job of it, but you know how to use the computer, look it up.

What it come's down to is what each individual person feels his or her responsibility is. If you're out playing a casual round is it ok to light up? Each person will have to make that desicion, but if you do and even one person sees you, then take responsibility for helping to continue the stereotype. If it helps you relax and play better, is smoking at a tourney or league any different than A-Rod taking steroids?

I agree. It starts here, but wont end here. With millions of rec players out there hellbent on drinking and smoking thier afternoon away- wow, much like on a public/private ball golf course- it isnt going to get us on TV. Its fine to rally people, youve got my blood going, and in the right way. I dont see why I shouldnt help to promote a cleaner image, but when I do Ill end up in the same place, as you. Still making excuses. I guess the big difference between A-Rod and MOST disc golfers is that he will make millions and millions over for breaking the law. We may face a fine or ticket, or have to take shit from non smokers looking for an easy target.

Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:36 pm

I could care less about A-Rod. And that's not Spankee hatin', it just doesn't matter that much. He's made a true mockery of us though by thinking that we believe his story. I'm with Ozzie Guillen, I don't buy it one bit.

As far as the HOF goes, we'll never know for sure who juiced and who didn't. So I think that the writers should base their votes on the numbers, and the era will always be remembered as the steroid era. Does that mean A-Rod gets in? Probably, but then so does McGwire and Bonds.

It's too bad for the players that didn't use. They did not have the union representing their interests. The players union didn't want the testing, and fought and fought against it....why? for who? Don't you think that they (the players union) were representing the minority, not the majority? Now, ALL players in the steroid era will have that stigma. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:54 pm

What I find the saddest thing is that while we were growing up these were good numbers:

.280-300, 15-25 HRs, 85-100 RBIs.

That was a quality season, the latter being All Star numbers. Add 10 points over .300, 5 more homers than 25, and 15 more RBIs you have an MVP consideration.

Then came the steroid era, where 80s MVP numbers become standard, and those players become weaker by perception of the inflated numbers. For a long time I resented baseball for the strike shortened season where Matt Williams had a legitimate run at Maris' record....then it came out 10 years later he was on steroids. Kevin Mitchells 47, Greg Vaughns 50, Brady Andersons 50 or 51. I want to believe Dawsons 49 homers were earned, but he was old at that point, and never came close to another season like that.

I hope Jeter doesnt come out on the list, because he has those old numbers, and really, if he didnt play for the Yankees and wasnt Mr. Clutch, I dont think he would be half the player he is. His numbers just arent good enough, and are surely also the benefit of the line-ups hes been apart of.

Chase20460

PreviousNext

Return to Sports