GSP vs. BJ Penn

Sports related topics.

GSP vs. BJ Penn

Postby Nick Strut » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Should be one of the best fights ever. What's everyone else think. Predictions? GSP is a super freak. However, if Penn trains his ass off, I'll have to go with him. That's a big "IF"
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
Nick Strut

Postby Like_Water » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:34 am

BJ's got a great chin and other than gassing out against Hughes, has never been stopped. However, you can basically say the same for GSP, except for the chin, which was exposed by Serra.

I thought BJ won the first fight. All GSP could do was take BJ down, which didn't really score points for me because of BJ's BJJ pedigree. BJ had GSP's face bloodied up half way through the first. That was years ago, and GSP has looked awesome lately. However the KO from Serra and the resulting psychiatry sessions make me think BJ has the mental edge in this fight.

I think BJ will keep it standing as long as he can and use his boxing to frustrate and soften up GSP.

There is no doubt it's going to be a great fight. BJ will be in shape. At this point, a mega fight is the only thing that can motivate BJ to be in tip top shape. I can't wait to see it.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:28 am

I gotta agree with Tanner, I thought BJ won the first fight too. I think BJ will be in the best shape of his life coming into this one. He has something to prove. But, I wouldn't count out that wiley Canadian. GSP has game.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby papparoc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:59 am

I think GSP is a better fighter now and should win the fight. That is if it has'nt gone to his head and he gets stupid or undertrains. Sometimes being the champ does that to you.
papparoc

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:07 pm

BJ has fast, fast hands, and he could knock out GSP. He's flexible enough to avoid being submitted by most people.

However, he doesn't fight with the same sense of desperation as George St. Pierre. GSP always has a great game plan. Does anyone think he's going to go walking into jabs again, or let an eyepoke dictate the way the fight goes?

Unless BJ knocks him out - which is a very real possibility with hands that fast - I expect St. Pierre to solve Penn and grind out some kind of unanimous decision by neutralizing Penn but still working to finish.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby Nick Strut » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:32 am

Very good points made by all. I'm starting to think harder about my prediction. GSP did make Matt Hughes look similar to a little girl. But GSP/ Penn #1 was a blowout. Has GSP improved that much? His take down skills are dominate, but, will he be able to capitalize against such a seasoned BJJ fighter as Penn. Granted the first fight GSP seemed to take Penn down at will. After the take down he couldn't do much. This isn't wrestling. But, I guess take downs still score points in the eyes off some. Guess will have to wait and see.
Nick Strut

Postby Nick Strut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Fight night is Saturday. Any new thoughts/predictions? Someone, please tell me not to worry over my B.J. Penn wager.
Nick Strut

Postby OU812_LukeS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:53 am

Nick Strut wrote:Fight night is Saturday. Any new thoughts/predictions? Someone, please tell me not to worry over my B.J. Penn wager.

Week from Saturday that is, 1/31. This weekend's Fedor vs. Arlovski. P4P #1 in the world.

Predictions for 1/31...I think it might not be a real exciting fight, I predict GSP is going to fight to neutralize Penn rather than try and out-box someone who has beat him up in the past. He might grind out a decision that way. Alternately I can see GSP's cardio and takedowns getting him a questionable TKO stoppage where BJ's bound up and getting pounded but still doesn't have a scratch on him.

Still, I'm holding out that we'll see a decisive fight one way or the other.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:11 am

GSP is looking at 5 rounds. He'll employ the same game plan as he did with Fitch. Keep him guessing, and drag him into the later rounds. I really don't see BJ winning this fight if it goes past 2. That being said, it could be over in the first 2 minutes.

I'm on the fence whether to get the Affliction PPV or not. Looks like a pretty good card. i was looking forward to seeing Dan Lauzon smash Horodecki, but Horodecki is out. Arlovski is an interesting matchup for Fedor. I'd bet Fedor takes it to the ground quickly.

Don't forget Sunday night is WEC live on VS. Always great fights in the WEC.
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:41 pm

One day away.

I can't wait for UFC 94. There's some great fights on this card.

Machida vs. Silva will be a very interesting fight.

I'm heading up to Kulupka's after I get done working all day to watch this. Then off to Fontana Dam Disc Golf course....supposed to get close to 60. 8)
Like_Water

Postby Sprague » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 am

Anybody around the QC have plans to watch, I'm going out tonight somewhere to watch it.
3097988667 let me know if your interested
Sprague

Postby Nick Strut » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:42 am

What a ASS Beatin'. I'm freaking pissed. GSP is unstoppable. He made Penn look like the average man. No one will beat GSP for a long time. Will we see Anderson Silva drop down? Or see GSP go up? I doubt it. Who will be the man to dethrone GSP?
Nick Strut

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:39 pm

*chuck norris :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:18 pm

One word: Domination

GSP completely broke BJ. Physically and mentally. BJ looked at his brother, and his brother called the fight. GSP is on another level.

He'll fight Thiago Alves next. Then probably Anderson Silva in the near future.
Like_Water

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Steroid Monkey.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Next

Return to Sports