Iowa Wrestling

Sports related topics.

Postby dischawk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Big Ten Tournament this weekend, Iowa has 3 top seeded guys and only 1 weight (157) not ranked among the top 3 seeds in their weight class.

NCAA's are only 2 weeks out!
Holy shit we got a psycho in league! Don't piss that kid off!
dischawk

Postby dischawk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:23 am

Let's not forget bout them Hawks! 2nd in a row and 33rd title overall!

dischawk

Postby Nick Strut » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm a little disappointed that Morningstar lost to a freshmen. However I'm overjoyed Metcalf pinned his way through.
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
Nick Strut

Postby dischawk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

I won't miss M* when he graduates next year, he is boring to watch, is never on the offensive, and every match is like 2-1 or 3-2 when he wrestles. Metcalf pinned guys in 3 of his 4 matches. That pin in the finals was sweet because jenkins was talkin smack about metcalf earlier in the year. In 4 matches v. metcalf, bubba jenkins has been pinned twice, tech falled and lost 14-8 in last year's championship. He's been #2 the whole time too.
Metcalf is simply the best wrestler I've ever seen.
dischawk

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:39 pm

dischawk wrote:Metcalf is simply the best wrestler I've ever seen.

I think there's a coach at Iowa State that will disagree :?
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby dischawk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:47 pm

I've watched way more of metcalf's matches than I ever saw of cael...

and if it wasn't for this b.s metcalf would've joined cael as going undefeated throughout college
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuvAN-c36g

metcalf wont lose another collegiate match and ill bet anyone $100 on that
dischawk

Postby cubspunc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:47 am

Agreed, Metcalf is the friggin man and will undoubtedly never lose another collegiate match. As far as Morningstar goes I was surprised he made it as far he did. He is garbage. His favorite move is the fake single-leg takedown just so he doesn't get called for stalling, what a bum. I was a little disappointed in the team though for their lackluster performance in the tourney overall. Everyone kind of underachieved their preseed, but at least we have 9 going to the ncaas. Hopefully they'll perform a little better there.
cubspunc

Postby dischawk » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:46 pm

someone shoulda taken my bet, although im so pissed right now i probably wouldnt have payed it anyway
dischawk

Postby Nick Strut » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:42 am

dischawk wrote:someone shoulda taken my bet, although im so pissed right now i probably wouldnt have payed it anyway
Pretty pissed off myself. At least we got the team title.
Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
Nick Strut

Postby dischawk » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:57 pm

love the bottom part of this photo... that matched clinched the title for iowa, and pinning isu... what a way to do it!

dischawk

Postby chappyfade » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 am

Mizzou finishes 7th overall with another individual NCAA Champion, Mark Ellis at heavyweight. Ellis is a Kansas City boy (Raymore-Peculiar High) to boot. It's not Iowa, but it's a start for a rapidly improving program.

Chap
chappyfade

Postby cubspunc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:23 am

Ya Erekson really impressed me. Morningstar was the other bright spot. I really didn't see him wrestling more than 3 or 4 matches and here he goes actually scoring some takedowns in the match for 3rd place. Outside of those two no one really impressed me. Of course nothing more than a title would have impressed me with Metcalf, but lets not talk about that match.
cubspunc

Postby dischawk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:10 pm

I was getting really pissed when M* was wrestling Howe from wisconsin in the semi's (the guy that finished runner up). He has wrestled him 3 times this year and in each match he lost in overtime. M* has no offense and is hard to watch because all his matches are low scoring. Granted he took third but he could have just as easily not placed because he had 4 or 5 matches just in this tournament that went into overtime.

Howe is a feaking beast though, he's only a freshman and his finshed 2nd so he's gonna be tough for M* again next year unless he moves up to 174
dischawk

Postby cubspunc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:00 pm

If he could just finish a single leg take down he'd be fine. He gets that leg everytime and just lets it slip through his fingers. Ya he never scores any takedowns, that's why I was impressed he got 7 points in the last match there. I thought the same last year and would hope that he would have learned how to take people down, but that of course didn't happen.
cubspunc

Postby dischawk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Hawks are having another great season so far.

So far they've beaten Iowa State... TWICE
Won the Midlands title again
Won the National duals this last weekend with almost half the starting lineup injured, which goes to show how deep they are and looks good for next year

Hawks have won 51 duals in a row, dating back two years. They face Oklahoma State this weekend which is the last team we lost too. Should be a great meet because OSU has some outstanding freshmen.
dischawk

PreviousNext

Return to Sports