Vick

Sports related topics.

Vick

Postby RedEye19357 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:15 am

Atleast we all make more then him now.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vick wants to play, but what team would risk it?
By TIM DAHLBERG, AP Sports Columnist
Nov 15, 2:35 pm EST

More NFL Videos Michael Vick lives in a prison in Kansas, making 12 cents an hour while plotting his return to the NFL. His houses and farms will soon be gone, the two yachts are history, and he’s down to his last couple of Range Rovers.

A race horse he bought for $60,000 died of colic, the Atlanta Falcons are still trying to hit him up for millions they paid him, and the IRS and the state of Georgia want nearly $1 million in back taxes.

In 2006 he made nearly $15 million. Recently he reported total income of $12.89 for an entire month.

That’s $12.89 as in 12 dollars and 89 cents. This from someone who, before things went terribly bad, categorized a $1,000 check to his mother as “chump change.”

The numbers are cold, but they have to warm the heart of any animal lover sickened by what once went on at Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels. To many, seeing Vick stripped of the material things he and his fellow millionaire athletes like to enjoy is almost as good as watching him go to prison in the first place.

Best of all, the dogs who survived the terror of Vick’s dogfighting ring are having the last laugh.

They’re the stars of a recent National Geographic Channel television special. They live in comfort in a Utah ranch, thanks to $928,000 Vick agreed to contribute to finance their care.

And now they have their own wine.

Yes, there’s Meryl, looking anything but ferocious on a bottle of Syrah. And there’s Lewis, peeking out from the front of another Vicktory Dog bottle.

Maybe Vick can pick up a $40 bottle when he gets out of prison next July, assuming things go as planned. If he’s careful about not spending his prison earnings in the commissary, he could be paroled with enough to buy a couple of them.

He shouldn’t drink too much, though. Because he’s still got some football to play.

Buried in the hundreds of pages of paper detailing Vick’s financial woes the other day in federal bankruptcy court was the declaration that not only does Vick expect to be reinstated in the NFL upon his release but also believes he will “be able to earn a substantial living” playing quarterback once again.

Good luck with that.

Just what team he believes will employ him to do so wasn’t mentioned, but the Falcons are surely out. They severed their ties with the quarterback they once were sure would lead them to a Super Bowl and are now being led by a quarterback who has been so good in his rookie season that he just might.

Vick is supposed to be released July 20, so he could be out just in time for the opening of preseason camps. But how many teams are so desperate for a quarterback that they would risk the ire of PETA-types and other animal activists to sign an ex-con who admitted to doing some heinous things?

The other question is how much would they risk for a quarterback who has a career passing rating of 75.7, fumbles the ball once every 10 times he carries it, and hasn’t played a down in two years. Quarterbacks who could run were once the rage in the NFL, but most teams today look for the traditional pocket passer.

If a team did take a chance on Vick, it would likely be for little or no guaranteed money with incentives kicking in only if he produces—something that can never be certain in the NFL, where injuries and age can quickly take their toll. Even then, Vick won’t keep all his salary because under his bankruptcy plan he must pay part of any future earnings to creditors.

Indeed, Vick’s financial mess is as much a cautionary tale to his fellow athletes as his criminal woes are.

He has assets of $16 million but owes creditors $20.3 million. His attorneys had to hire forensic accountants to find out where the money went, $18 million of it over the last two years alone as Vick bounced from one business deal to another and seemed to hire financial advisers he met standing in line at the supermarket.

Flush with bonus money from the Falcons, Vick bought houses by the handful, invested in a rental car franchise in Atlanta and poured money into a liquor store and restaurant. He hired friends, gave away money and cars, and could never say no to his mother, who got $700 for an Easter Egg hunt one year and $317,000 for a new church building the next.

Now he sits in a prison in Kansas after a staggering and quick fall from the top. Once a favorite of fans who couldn’t buy enough of his No. 7 jerseys he’s now vilified and hated by millions who will never forgive the despicable things he and his buddies did to their dogs.

A comeback is still possible, but my guess is that this story will not end well. Upon his release from prison, the odds are Vick will spend more time dodging creditors than defensive linemen.

The dogs are a different story. Those that survived will live in comfort the rest of their lives.

And for that, we should all raise a glass of Lewis red in celebration.

Tim Dahlberg is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at tdahlberg@ap.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do what is right, because that is what is right.
RedEye19357

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:09 pm

damn... dude can go to slingin rock or something, but i doubt he plays in the NFL again - unless Jerry Jones wants him. ha!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby MDR_3000 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:07 pm

he's going to play somewhere. he's too talented of an athlete not too.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby RedEye19357 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Maybe for a indoor football team like the steam wheelers... :roll:
Do what is right, because that is what is right.
RedEye19357

Postby 10up » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 am

Apparently you guys haven't heard that the Montreal Alouettes are going to need a QB once Brad Banks goes to the NFL.

Jesus, do your homework...
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:41 am

When he comes back, I doubt he will play QB. He'll play more of a Reggie Bush hybrid type role.
MDR_3000

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 am

MDR_3000 wrote:When he comes back, I doubt he will play QB. He'll play more of a Reggie Bush hybrid type role.
id say hes more like ted ginn only not as fast. and no one will want to pay him what he thinks hes worth. he is talented but after being pounded by big bruno for a couple years i dont think he will amount to much. i think hes too small to be an RB. Fast enough yes and he has the moves but he will get injured again if linebackers get to smack him around for 20 plus carries a game
SARG27044

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:02 am

How big do you think an NFL running back is? I'm not talking about B. Jacobs either.

But here's why I think Vick will be back in the league and get paid..maybe not the $100 million like before, but he's not going to get the minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Little

IF he can kill someone and still play in the league, I think Vick will be just fine.
MDR_3000

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:05 am

what about Graham or gore or addai. these guys would beat the shit outta vick and have him by like 30 lbs. he just needs to add mass and he would do allright
SARG27044

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:16 am

SARG27044 wrote:what about Graham or gore or addai. these guys would beat the shit outta vick and have him by like 30 lbs. he just needs to add mass and he would do allright

E. Graham -- 5'9" 225#
F. Gore -- 5'9" 217#
J. Addai -- 5'11" 214#

M. Vick -- 6'0" 215#

source: nfl.com
MDR_3000

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:19 am

touche, vick just dosent look like it when hes on the field, does he hit the hole like these guys though? wait was that prison joke :?
SARG27044

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:23 am

I would say no, but we wouldn't be used that way. He'd be used almost like R. Brown is being used in that single wing O, where he'll do a little bit of everything.
MDR_3000

Postby swan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:17 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:IF he can kill someone and still play in the league, I think Vick will be just fine.

The problem is that people get way more bent over someone killing dogs than humans. Vick has done his time, paid his fines and yet he'll still be revered as a monster who deserves no second chance.

He could still play. No doubt. And at just about any position off the lines. The team that signs him will have a huge PR nightmare. Is he worth the trouble that comes with his presence? The Raiders will say HELL YEAH! Other more sensible teams will think twice.

Is he even going to be allowed back in? Haven't been following the drama.
swan

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:28 pm

THey probably won't have an official hearing until he gets out.
MDR_3000

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 pm

It will be PR nightmare no doubt. I love dogs as much as the next guy. And it's a shame in my opinion what the man did to them. However, it is a shame that this animal story is blown way bigger than other horific stories around sports like MDR referenced. I use Koby as an example quite often, with the whole rape scandal. Rather it happened or not, really no skin off of his back other than the inconveniance of going to court. He's still a hero to all kids. I hope Vick gets a second chance in the NFL, and think that he will. It will be a tough road back, back for him, and will hear boo's everywhere he goes. If he stays out of trouble and doesn't cause any more negative publicity to himself. More power to him. It's the PacMan Jones, the Doc Gooden's, the guys that who are in and out of the league constantly for disciplanry reasons, that are pour representations of our beloved sports. We all make mistakes. It's people who learn from those that better themselves. Hopefully that will be the case for Vick.

Speaking of sport celebs misbehaviors. Whatever happened to Pierre Pierce?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Next

Return to Sports