UFC 79

Sports related topics.

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:42 am

LOL! :P
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Chase20460 wrote: Im not saying that all the fighters are weak, just about 85% of them. Most of these guys train for a year, with some limited background in something, hop in the ring for thier fixed fight and there you go. Then, in two months when everyone is talking about them, they get hammered by some nobody. Why? Because its all hype and its basically rigged. Some lucky chump comes in and lands a giant haymaker, and then down goes your "27th degree blackbelt in ju-junksu and college wrestling phenom that has been training for this his whole life" ( With, mind you, a 10-6-2 record. ) Its junk man, plain and simple. The next UFC you watch, put on your sheep suit, like everyone else.

YFC. I ain't no sheep, and I take offense to that. I've liked MMA since the first UFC.

Obviously you don't. I'll keep the discussion between me and Joe. :roll:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 pm

I used to watch it back in the days of Dan Severn, Tank Abbott, Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie. I remember seeing one where tank hit this Samoan dude so hard it sent him into convulsions on the mat.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Chase20460 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:12 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:I used to watch it back in the days of Dan Severn, Tank Abbott, Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie. I remember seeing one where tank hit this Samoan dude so hard it sent him into convulsions on the mat.

I watched UFC when it came around long ago as well. I remember watching the person tatted fighter that broke his hands and couldnt continue. David and Goliaths, all that. I dropped off from it because a lack of interest, cable, money, concern. Same thing happened with Pro Wrestling, oddly enough.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:

YFC. I ain't no sheep, and I take offense to that. I've liked MMA since the first UFC.

:roll:

I wasnt calling you a sheep in the sense that your only watching it to be like everyone else. Just that you buy into what they are shoveling like everyone else. :wink:

Just kidding anyways, no use getting mad over something thats rigged.

Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:42 pm

I can't really see how it's rigged. Other then if it goes to the judges, and it's in England, and it's an englishmen who just got embarrassed.

When dude's get KTFO, I don't think they want that to happen. You do? I don't see how rigging fights are good for the UFC as a company or a brand. Doesn't make sense to me.
Like_Water

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:22 am

Discwrangler wrote:
When dude's get KTFO, I don't think they want that to happen. You do?
I don't see how rigging fights are good for the UFC as a company or a brand. Doesn't make sense to me.

I dont think its rigged that way either. I think the rigging takes place before hand and is because they hand pick and force people to fight opponants due to populaurity.

How isnt anything good for UFC? Where is thier chief competition? They bought them out...they have none. Its like you forget I live in the QCs, where MMA and UFC HAVE ROOTS. Ive watched some of these guys fight in bars on am fight nights back when Milletech was the man. I also remember the first big UFC style fight to come here and was at John O Donnell and everyone there left pissed off because it was nothing more than a wrestling match and phantom punches.

All Im saying, is IMO, its all hype. The fighters are way OVER hyped. I think I see better fights on the Mediacom show on 22 that shows the fights from DSM. ( I think thats where they are from, most the time anyways. )

Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 am

Pat never beat anybody, had a "title" for little while, BFD. He's just a terrible boxer that thought he may have found a niche when MMA came around, it's hard to be a good boxer at 5'6. Trust me, I know, my ex's cousin and him are tight, he (Steve Rusk)was a wrestler at IL and Auggie, and taught Pat everything he knows about grappling.

But, I do have the best Stars-n-Stripes (or whatever it's called) fight story to date. Top it, if you can.

When I moved to the QC in 1999, I worked at a bar with Rounds. The head of security (Ed) was the "promoter" for the Tuesday night Fights over at that place. Rounds and I used to go over there every week, for probably a good year or so. One night, we brought one of his HS buddies, Brian Waggoner. Dude did like 3 shots and couple drinks before the first fight. They had been talking that night how they needed a light fellow for one of the fights. First fight starts, it's a MMA fight, and ended up being a good one, as I recall. Wags gets all excited, and claims that he's in. We try to talk him out of it, (he was drunk). No dice on calming Wags down, so we talk to Ed and line it up. Ends up being the last fight of the night. To make a long story short, he got hit once, and it was lights out. It took us a Chucking hour to get him up so we could leave. It was almost worth it, considering I nearly split a gut laughing so hard. :lol: :lol:
GDL17921

Postby KePP » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Better than boxing. Just run by some drama queen named Dana.
KePP

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:38 pm

GDL2000 wrote:Pat never beat anybody, had a "title" for little while, BFD. He's just a terrible boxer that thought he may have found a niche when MMA came around, it's hard to be a good boxer at 5'6. Trust me, I know, my ex's cousin and him are tight, he (Steve Rusk)was a wrestler at IL and Auggie, and taught Pat everything he knows about grappling.

But, I do have the best Stars-n-Stripes (or whatever it's called) fight story to date. Top it, if you can.

When I moved to the QC in 1999, I worked at a bar with Rounds. The head of security (Ed) was the "promoter" for the Tuesday night Fights over at that place. Rounds and I used to go over there every week, for probably a good year or so. One night, we brought one of his HS buddies, Brian Waggoner. Dude did like 3 shots and couple drinks before the first fight. They had been talking that night how they needed a light fellow for one of the fights. First fight starts, it's a MMA fight, and ended up being a good one, as I recall. Wags gets all excited, and claims that he's in. We try to talk him out of it, (he was drunk). No dice on calming Wags down, so we talk to Ed and line it up. Ends up being the last fight of the night. To make a long story short, he got hit once, and it was lights out. It took us a Chucking hour to get him up so we could leave. It was almost worth it, considering I nearly split a gut laughing so hard. :lol: :lol:

Is that the same Waggs that moved to Flordia. Hilarious.

I never said Pat was the best, or anything remotely close to that. But he helped make this area known for MMA through his training locations and programs.

Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:14 pm

the same. He ended up in prison, too. Nice ending to that story, eh? :?
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Chase20460 wrote:I dont think its rigged that way either. I think the rigging takes place before hand and is because they hand pick and force people to fight opponants due to populaurity.

Well, yeah it IS a business. However, they have the best fighters, and they CAN create the best matchups...however, they do use names, and promotion to get viewers and attendees. Any educated MMA fan can see which way it is. Doesn't mean it's rigged. Yes they are in control, but ultimately they give the fans what they want to see. I can't wait to see Hendo fight Anderson Silva, thanks UFC.

If the fans aren't excited, why would they view it?

Chase20460 wrote:Its like you forget I live in the QCs, where MMA and UFC HAVE ROOTS. Ive watched some of these guys fight in bars on am fight nights back when Milletech was the man. I also remember the first big UFC style fight to come here and was at John O Donnell and everyone there left pissed off because it was nothing more than a wrestling match and phantom punches.

I was there, I know. Without jumbo-trons, live events are no fun. My neighbor fought Dan Severns at that event, and got his head crushed.

Chase20460 wrote:All Im saying, is IMO, its all hype. The fighters are way OVER hyped. I think I see better fights on the Mediacom show on 22 that shows the fights from DSM. ( I think thats where they are from, most the time anyways. )

THat's their job man, it's called promotion. Doesn't mean it's rigged. That word makes me think of boxing or WWF. This shit is real once the door closes.

There are good fighters all over. But, if they are really that good, they aren't fighting in the midwest cage championships, they are in the UFC, WEC, or EliteXC.
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 am

Just released this morning. "Kimbo Slice" will fight Tank Abbott in February on an EliteXC televised event.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:45 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:Just released this morning. "Kimbo Slice" will fight Tank Abbott in February on an EliteXC televised event.

KO in the first round. Thats easy, Tank Abbott is washed up...and gay.

Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:56 am

Chase20460 wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:Just released this morning. "Kimbo Slice" will fight Tank Abbott in February on an EliteXC televised event.

KO in the first round. Thats easy, Tank Abbott is washed up...and gay.

yeah, this is very surprising. I'm actually surprised that guy is still alive. It sounds to me like an attempt to maybe get some lost fans back? The sport has definately evolved past his (TA's) style. I see him ending up like that sumo wrestler from UFC 3 (?) mentioned above. Convulsions.... :lol:
GDL17921

PreviousNext

Return to Sports