A great day for baseball

Sports related topics.

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:05 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote:
ajordanpippenfan wrote:babe ruth would laugh at how small these ballparks were. he would think they were little league fields.

also, babe ruth would dominate baseball today. would non-white pitchers reduce babe ruth to a mere mortal today. i don't think so. and give babe ruth some of that juice and the sky is the limit.

the fence in right field @ yankee stadium and the polo groungs are ridicously short for a dead pull lefty. ruth was a legend and did it all on hot dogs and beer:the true american way. but would not have gotten as many numbers if he was facing the best possible. think about baseball without all the latino, black, asian and all other non-white players and what have you got? :shock:=weak ass shit. in our time the world series really is the world series.
When did you ever play ball? weak ass shit, mr I broke my finger playing catch. Ruth was a great p[layer and a hell of an athlete in his younger years. He was the home run king and won WS games pitching. The game was great then. People who played cared about the game. Wait til they clone Ted Williams, the most prolific hitter of all time. And you desk top short stops should maybe research the game a little bit before you start talking shit. It's just like football, players are better athletes but 30 years ago guys like Deacon Jones and Butkis would punch Qbs in the balls then step on their necks.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Single L » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:14 am

Frogger, I never said a bad thing about the game back then. I'm just saying its' a different animal now, so comparing is irrelevant. You prove my point that the game is different by stating the mentality and toughness of the players back, different rules, etc......... so your argument dies. Once again I didn't say the game is better now, far from it, I just stated the athletes are better.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:24 am

porkchop wrote: I just stated the athletes are better.

To add to this comment, technology is better as well. And I'm not just talking about bats and balls. Lighting is better, corrective vision is better, treatment for injuries, cleats, feild maintenance, even game preperation, all of which have an impact on the game of baseball.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote: Dont ever down play great players, oh by the way Ruth had more stolen bases than barry....

You might want to look at those stats again...

Ruth - 123
Bonds - 514
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:44 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote: When did you ever play ball? weak ass shit, mr I broke my finger playing catch. And you desk top short stops should maybe research the game a little bit before you start talking shit. It's just like football, players are better athletes but 30 years ago guys like Deacon Jones and Butkis would punch Qbs in the balls then step on their necks.

i did break my finger and still played the whole game, mr i cant hit a softball cuz im used to baseball timing. regardless, the point im makin is not that the old guys sucked, its that they didn't face the best competition because mlb only allowed white players till 47.
Abe Froman

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:56 am

Babe Ruth still wouldve been a legend. He hit home runs, and nobody else did that. It was a joke to people like Ty Cobb, the purest hitter of all time. If you want to use the non-white card, thats fine, but realize there are about 15 players that are talked about from the Negro League. Guys like Josh Gibson ( who may have hit more homers than ANYONE ) and Satchel Paige are legends in thier own right. But....on the flip side...there was alot less Negro League players and teams than MLB teams, so they were also facing inferior competition. Those players that are talked about wouldve been major stars, but its not like hundreds of black and non white american players wouldve been able to play, even if given the chance. Would they have got spots and been amazing talents, sure, some of them. Breaking into the Major Leagues is probably the toughest thing to do in sports, be it now or 100 years ago.

One thing I will repeat about Ruth...he came at a time when nobody even tried to hit home runs. He CHANGED the way baseball was played. There hasnt been anyone since him to do that.

Andy Petite and Roger Clemons have the same "former cop turned personal trainer even though Im big and fat" baggage handler. If ones guilty, you can bet your sweet ass the other is. Thats why they are so tight. If one goes down, so does the other.

As far as the "Witch Hunt" on Bonds: Why go after everyone else when you have the biggest fish on the line? They have been building this case for 4 years, they have plenty of info on everyone. Theres no sense in going after the little guys, as they cant give you anything. You get a big fish like Bonds to talk, he can help put an end to this. ( If thats even possible. )
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
porkchop wrote: I just stated the athletes are better.

To add to this comment, technology is better as well. And I'm not just talking about bats and balls. Lighting is better, corrective vision is better, treatment for injuries, cleats, feild maintenance, even game preperation, all of which have an impact on the game of baseball.

Sure. Going from making 50k to 15 million will make people work a little harder in the off-season. It is the little things, like how long the lifespan of a baseball is today vs. 50 years ago. Its also the fact that athletes are getting bigger due to the things we eat and drink, and I dont mean supplements. I mean the hormones and other crap we are pumping into our dairy products and live stock. Back then it was all meat and potatoes, and it was what we deem today "organic". Nowadays, you have personal trainers and personal chefs, nutritionists, and those guys can afford to eat whatever they want. Those things matter as much in athletics as they do in everyday life. People are bigger and stronger in general, and its more than evoloution.

Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Barry going down just perpetuates the fact that our culture loves to raise people up, people idolize sports icons and lots of other celebs, and then when there's an opportunity, we tear them down--whatever the reason may be. It's one of the reasons other cultures hate us Americans so much. We have a show called "American Idol". Wow....

Think about it.

They did it to the Babe, too. And that was way before the internet.

It's not just in sports either.....

Brittney Spears
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:16 am

GDL2000 wrote:Barry going down just perpetuates the fact that our culture loves to raise people up, people idolize sports icons and lots of other celebs, and then when there's an opportunity, we tear them down--whatever the reason may be. It's one of the reasons other cultures hate us Americans so much. We have a show called "American Idol". Wow....

Think about it.

They did it to the Babe, too. And that was way before the internet.

It's not just in sports either.....

Brittney Spears

Nicely put. I agree. Look at Wagner, Ham, and myself. We're overated now that we've had some success :lol:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:41 am

yeah, Steve you're a perfect example. I remember after your win in Bowling Green some ass clown was trying to bash you on the PDGA thread saying you littered your cigarette butts.....wtf?
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:25 am

Lol..I forgot about that one. Newhouse was the guys name. Hilarious.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:38 am

Today's the big day.

Mitchell Report Dun dun dun.....
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby dischawk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm

Looks like Chase was right, Clemens and Pettite are both supposed to be in the report
dischawk

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Its over for a lot of Cinderella stories.

Chase20460

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:42 pm

Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley, David Bell, Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Paxton Crawford, Wilson Delgado, Lenny Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsoworth, Ryan Franklin, Troy Glaus, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Prior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts, Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez, Fernando Tatis, Maurice Vaughn, Jason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood.

...upon further investigation...this list might not be entirely accurate. But who cares.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

PreviousNext

Return to Sports