A great day for baseball

Sports related topics.

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:46 pm

Joe Cool wrote:If he plays long enough I wouldn't rule out Albert Pujols from breaking some records.

hey joe, well said!

Barry's f*c(3d...

I heard a guy on Serius radio saying today that he should have just retired @ 754, and no one would have gone after him... :twisted:

Maybe...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:41 pm

I think it is unfair to continually go after Bonds and hear nothing about any of the others.

I don't know how you can believe any of the stats that are from today's era. It is all worthless stats. Small parks, weak pitching, and enough drugs means exagerated stats. Letting them take little blue pills (stimulants?) to "keep up their energy" is another thing that the clean hitters from yesterday never had.

I say don't believe anyone's stats. I love AROD and think he gets too negative of a rap, ( no one player can win a world series ), but he is much bigger than when he started his career, too. No one has said anything about him being on roids or HGH or anything. Come on. Let's point the finger at everyone not just the person everyone loves to hate.
One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
Author: Henry Ford
ajordanpippenfan

Postby KePP » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:59 pm

nice post, Dan.
KePP

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:09 am

ajordanpippenfan wrote: Letting them take little blue pills (stimulants?) to "keep up their energy" is another thing that the clean hitters from yesterday never had.

HA :roll: do sum homework, know u your history. for a long time alot of the old players took "greenies" (more like speed)which were a "stimulant"also . tobacco is a stimulant for fuk's sake. barry got singled out for what hundreds did. are they coming after paul byrd for getting HGH shipments from a fukin dentist ?, that's right a dentist prescribed growth hormone. long story short there are so many more that used roids that we will never know of for sure. just wait til the mitchell investigation report comes out and names all the players they found out about. its bad for baseball. good thing we have so many great prospects to rebirth the face of baseball.
Abe Froman

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:24 am

ok. did my homework and greenies arrived well after babe ruth destroyed balls. they arrived after world war 2. now i know. thanks for the son comment, i thought i was getting old. :D
One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
ajordanpippenfan

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:17 pm

babe ruth also played with all white people, all white pitchers. i have respect for the old guys but they had it easy compared to today.
Abe Froman

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:19 pm

babe ruth would laugh at how small these ballparks were. he would think they were little league fields.

also, babe ruth would dominate baseball today. would non-white pitchers reduce babe ruth to a mere mortal today. i don't think so. and give babe ruth some of that juice and the sky is the limit.
ajordanpippenfan

Postby Single L » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Babe Ruth played in an era when you didn't have to be a great athlete to be a great player. Today’s top players are some of the best athletes out there. Yes there are some fat dudes in today’s game that also have some abilities, but to be on that next level you have to be a finely tuned machine.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges; all sports are different than there were even 20 years ago, for the better and for the worse, so you cannot compare record, statistics, and players.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby gocards300 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:18 pm

gocards300

Postby gocards300 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:19 pm

gocards300

Postby gocards300 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:23 pm

gocards300

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:28 pm

ajordanpippenfan wrote:babe ruth would laugh at how small these ballparks were. he would think they were little league fields.

also, babe ruth would dominate baseball today. would non-white pitchers reduce babe ruth to a mere mortal today. i don't think so. and give babe ruth some of that juice and the sky is the limit.

the fence in right field @ yankee stadium and the polo groungs are ridicously short for a dead pull lefty. ruth was a legend and did it all on hot dogs and beer:the true american way. but would not have gotten as many numbers if he was facing the best possible. think about baseball without all the latino, black, asian and all other non-white players and what have you got? :shock:=weak ass shit. in our time the world series really is the world series.
Abe Froman

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 pm

that is laughable. glad you could put a smile on my face.
ajordanpippenfan

Postby cubspunc » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:59 am

Chase20460 wrote:I also think there is going to be several pitchers ( Clemons , Petite, Prior ) that are going to be named on that list.

I wouldve loved to see Griffey break this record. Hes the man. <

I don't know about Petite man. That guys pretty straight edge. And yes I definitely would agree with Griffey. He is the man, and it's ashame his health has never been the same since he left the Mariners. The guys as great of a guy as you can get.
cubspunc

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:57 pm

porkchop wrote:Babe Ruth played in an era when you didn't have to be a great athlete to be a great player. Today’s top players are some of the best athletes out there. Yes there are some fat dudes in today’s game that also have some abilities, but to be on that next level you have to be a finely tuned machine.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges; all sports are different than there were even 20 years ago, for the better and for the worse, so you cannot compare record, statistics, and players.

Your crazy. Ruth threw 93 mph pitching, um thats the same weight as the balls they used today. Feller 100 mph gibson 92, oh and you had guys like cobb who use to sit in front of the dugout filing his cleats so the other team knew he would try to kill them if he had to. Dont ever down play great players, oh by the way Ruth had more stolen bases than barry, he would have till he was 41 he would have hit 1000. Didn't have to be a great athlete may arse. Ruth could hit a ball period. I hat when people try to say you can't compare. It has the same rule, expect you didn't get kicked out for throwing a pitch at someones head, and guys like teddy ball game would give up 4 years of their career to become a fighter pilot in the Marines. Spit balls were pretty much legal the bats weren't as good.
frogawitdafizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Sports