ILLINOIS UPSETS #1 OHIO STATE

Sports related topics.

Postby 10up » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:13 pm

I'm in for it all, knowing who is on the team, what division they're in, who the manager is, whether they won or lost, lived or died. Purchasing jersey's is out of the realm of possibility. I said I'd become a fan, not a fag.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:44 pm

dischawk wrote:On the flip side would you even quote the poll or bring any of the UNI talk up if your team wasn't undefeated?

Yes I would, cause' I'm a true fan, I'm not on the UNI bandwagon.
I wouldn't have as much to talk about, but I would still support the best Division in football...........IN MY OPINION..........great atheletes, no money talking, a playoff system, and no overhyped media.........just football :wink:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 10up » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:16 pm

plus I think it would be hilarious down the road when some incredulous person asks "why the hell are you a cubs fan?!?!". I can respond "yeah, I know... I lost a bet... :( "

The only valid excuse for cubs fannery.

of course that completely depends on if you win.
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:35 pm

10up wrote:plus I think it would be hilarious down the road when some incredulous person asks "why the hell are you a cubs fan?!?!". I can respond "yeah, I know... I lost a bet... :( "

The only valid excuse for cubs fannery.

of course that completely depends on if you win.

this Saturday at Boone, it's on.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby 10up » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:38 pm

So it appears it will probably be O state and LSU. That means everybody in the Big Ten moves up a bowl. Congrats to Illinois on a probable Rose Bowl. Purdue gets sucked from the Armed Forces Bowl to the Motor City Bowl (bummer)... That means a 6-6 team is going to the Armed Forces Bowl... Iowa or UCLA are the top picks and after UCLA turned down the Humanitarian Bowl however long ago and has a horrible travel history to minor bowls.... we may just get to lose one more time.
10up

Postby dischawk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Illinois might not be ranked high enough to go to the rose bowl, they have to be top 14 in the BCS and they arent that high right now
Last edited by dischawk on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dischawk

Postby dischawk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:01 pm

LOL what a joke.. LSU is ranked #2 in the AP and coaches... Les miles pulled an Urban MEyer on ESPN last night too cryin and whinin about his team should be in the championship... go OSU!
dischawk

Postby dischawk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:07 pm

10up wrote: we may just get to lose one more time.

we aren't even good enough for that distinction... Iowa is staying home for bowl season
dischawk

Postby flyinplastic23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:21 pm

i smell roses.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby chappyfade » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:26 pm

flyinplastic23 wrote:i smell roses.

Yep..BCS is screwed up. Missouri doesn't get a BCS berth, yet Kansas does, even though they lost to Mizzou, are ranked #8 in BCS (Mizzou is #6) and they didn't have to play Oklahoma. And Mizzou beat Illinois, also in the BCS ahead of them. Pretty crappy. Not only that, but Mizzou fans travel better for football than KU does. The Orange Bowl selection makes no sense at all. Go Hokies!

Mizzou gets...Arkansas. Who they played a few years ago in a bowl, and will slaughter this time, if they decide they're interested enough. Lovely.

Chap
chappyfade

Postby 10up » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:57 am

chappyfade wrote: Not only that, but Mizzou fans travel better for football than KU does.

I agree verbatim with every word of that post except for the above... Mizzou really hasn't ever traveled so who could say what and where they will go?? I think the fact that they didn't make a BCS game is testament to that fact. The BCS is about the ratings, and nobody, regardless of how "f'd up" it may be, gives a rats ass about Missouri outside of Missouri. I personally think it's bullshit, but when you have a sound capitalist structure on championship college football, this is what you're left with.

Sorry Mizzou, do it again next year and maybe you'll get fucked, yet again...
10up

Postby chappyfade » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:27 am

10up wrote:
chappyfade wrote: Not only that, but Mizzou fans travel better for football than KU does.

I agree verbatim with every word of that post except for the above... Mizzou really hasn't ever traveled so who could say what and where they will go?? I think the fact that they didn't make a BCS game is testament to that fact. The BCS is about the ratings, and nobody, regardless of how "f'd up" it may be, gives a rats ass about Missouri outside of Missouri. I personally think it's bullshit, but when you have a sound capitalist structure on championship college football, this is what you're left with.

Sorry Mizzou, do it again next year and maybe you'll get fucked, yet again...

Oh, young one...the Tigers went to bowls consistently in the late 70s and early 80s, altough not to the Orange Bowl. (OU and NU were nat'l championship contenders every year back then, and Mizzou normally finished third in the Big 8 ). They've also been to bowls 4 of the last 5 years...same as Iowa.

The fact is KU only sold out their HOME stadium once this year (well, I guess twice sort of....the KU-MU game was technically a KU game although it was in KC), and that was the Nebraska game....with probably at least 25,000 of those people Nebraska fans (Memorial Stadium at KU only holds about 51,000) Lots of Husker fans only go to road games...because they can't get tickets for home games.
Mizzou AVERAGED over 60,000 this year. I know it's no Nebraska or even Iowa (Hawkeyes averaged about 70,000 in 2006...Faurot Field in Columbia only holds about 68,000, with another 10,000 or so drinking in the parking lots). The MU-KU game at Arrowhead DID sell out...BUT

It was a KU home game....they had 36,000 season ticket holders or so.

Chiefs season ticket holders had the option of buying seats....there are more KU graduates in the Kansas City Metropolitan area than all other schools combined (Lawrence is barely more than a 30-minute drive from KC....it's about like going from DSM to Ames)...those people bought about 28000 tickets...leaving 10,000 for Mizzou, and the rest for the general public (Arrowhead holds 80000 total). The crowd should have been at least 70% KU....but it was actually about 50-50, because Mizzou fans bought up a lot of tickets from KU season ticket holders. Next year when the game is a Mizzou home game...the crowd will be more like 2/3 Mizzou fans. KU fans can't even travel 30 minutes for football...what makes folks think they'll travel to Florida?

The fact is KU is a basketball school, and their fans have always traveled well for that, but they've been disappointing in football, even when the team is good, which has been rare....much more rare than Mizzou being decent. K-State outdrew KU this year with a disappointing team....THEY do travel well. That's what makes the Orange Bowl pick even more bizarre. Perhaps they thought they were getting K-State instead of KU. :) Oh well, Mizzou will sell out the Cotton Bowl (Arkansas will bring a ton of fans as well)....I'd be surprised if the Orange Bowl even does as well as the Louisville-Wake Forest Orange Bowl last year.

Chap
chappyfade

Previous

Return to Sports