UFC

Sports related topics.

UFC

Postby SpikeHyzer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:34 pm

So much for Shogun being the next big thing. Another Pride disappointment. It was a good fight though.
SpikeHyzer

Postby OU812_LukeS » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Shogun showed up ready to fight for one round, his cardio sucked. I've never seen anyone that gassed so soon in an MMA fight, except maybe the sumo novelty fighters. He picked the wrong fighter (Forrest "Heart" Griffin) to slack off on the cardio for. Wow....terrible disappointment. First Cro Cop, then Shogun. Is the Octagon that much of an adjustment? I guess we can expect Wanderlei to get KTFO'd in December based on this trend.

I was happy to see The Iceman get his butt kicked, he's so one-dimensional I can't even pretend to get excited about his fights. This is a spectator talking of course, but at least Jardine worked the entire fight. Chuck just danced around looking for an opening to land that big right and finish the same way he always does.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:33 am

Yeah...the Lidell/Jardine was pretty boring with the exception of a couple of shots from Jardine. I'm thinking I would like to see Jardine and Forest fight again. Houston Alexander has to be right there for a possible shot too. But they need to line up a more worthy opponent for him to test his skills. Otherwise you could end up with a title fight like Nate Quarry vs. Rich Franklin. Which by the way has to be one of the best knock outs I have ever seen.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Like_Water » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:47 am

I didn't see the fights, but it sounds like Shogun got married and went on a honeymoon 2 weeks ago. Tough to wanna rip someone's head off if you've been eating cheesecake and sipping champagne with some hot brazilian chick. :roll:

Seriously, these Pride guys need to step it up. I wonder what Dana White is thinking? He had to sign these guys, but they are getting whooped up on by his reality show stars. Liddell might be done very soon.

I want to see Hendo vs. Anderson Silva.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:13 pm

Same here on the Hendo/Silva fight. The upcoming fight between Frankling and Silva will hopefully be a good fight though too. Rich Franklin is one of my favorite fighters, but I don't think he can hang with Silva.

As for Chuck...it's a toss up...I think he has plenty of juice in the tank...but the spotlight maybe getting to him.
SpikeHyzer

Postby OU812_LukeS » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:44 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:Same here on the Hendo/Silva fight. The upcoming fight between Frankling and Silva will hopefully be a good fight though too. Rich Franklin is one of my favorite fighters, but I don't think he can hang with Silva.

As for Chuck...it's a toss up...I think he has plenty of juice in the tank...but the spotlight maybe getting to him.

I think the sport is evolving too fast for a fighter like Chuck. Same with Frankin...great fighter, but the up-and-comers are pretty amazing by comparison.

The lightweight and welterweight divisions are stacked right now, it's really a shame there aren't title fights for months.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:25 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:Same here on the Hendo/Silva fight. The upcoming fight between Frankling and Silva will hopefully be a good fight though too. Rich Franklin is one of my favorite fighters, but I don't think he can hang with Silva.

After that titlle loss to Jackson, I was worried that could be the case, w/ the spotlight getting to him... :roll:
##39027
ghstinshll

Couture Retires

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:39 pm

SpikeHyzer

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:54 pm

I never heard Fedor signed anyhwere yet...I think its a good look at the UFC management...and Dana white Chucking crazy...Fedor is #1.
Like_Water

Postby wapello51 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:35 pm

Well guys it's plain and simple why the Pride guys are losing. They didn't test for steriods over in Pride. They were all on the juice when they were looking awesome. I'm not a bias guy I love the Pride fighters and I loved Mirko before he started laying down in fights. Also to put my two cents in Liddell isn't a one demisional fighter, he has jiu jitsu, but who has forced him to use it? The answer is nobody. No one can keep him on the ground long enough to do anything there and so he stays in his zone, trading punches and kicks. But I will say that I wish he was more active and I wish he wouldn't try to knock everyone out with one punch.
wapello51

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 am

Any predictions for the PPV tomorrow night? Rich Franklin is one of my favorite fighters, but I don't know if he has the skills to take out Silva. I think Tim Silvia will dispense Brandon Vera within the first few minutes of the fight. I would be surprised if this one went the distance. The rest of the fights are kind of so-so fights.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:46 pm

wapello51 wrote:Well guys it's plain and simple why the Pride guys are losing. They didn't test for steriods over in Pride. They were all on the juice when they were looking awesome.

I agree. It was explicitly stated in their contracts they wouldn't be tested for various steroids. It's so different in Japan, they don't care about the juice, they are all about the "show".
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Silva over Franklin
Vera over Sylvia

The other fight I'd like to see is Jason McDonald vs. Okami.

I need a place to watch this BTW. :cry:
Like_Water

Postby wapello51 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:25 am

A couple things will have to happen for each of these fights. Sylvia will lose early if he's going to lose but if the fight drags on he will win by out pointing Vera. I love Franklin and I hope he wins but if he can't hold his own in the clinch this time it will be another short night for Ace. The longer the fight the more I give it to Franklin hes went the distance recently which is something Silva isn't used to as of late. As for the Okami, McDonald fight I hope McDonald owns him I don't like Okami at all. There is nothing I hate more than people that get lazy in the gaurd and just win by Octagon control. Which is exactly what he did with Swick. If Swick had a better sprawl he would have knocked out Okami on their feet and maybe earned his title shot. Thats just my two cents and can't wait to see what should be exciting fights!
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...VICTORIOUS. --Vince Lombardi
wapello51

Return to Sports