Review

Review

Postby The Donator » Fri May 09, 2008 7:18 am

Played there yesterday for the first time, and all I can say is wow, this course is fckin sick. After holes 1-3 i was kinda meh, but then the course got sick. Loved the tight but FAIR lines, there were no BS kicks, if you threw a bad shot, you got punished, if you hit your line, you were rewarded. The course flow was absolutely PERFECT. With such a wooded course, it was amazing how easy it was to find the next hole or tee pad, and had no trouble finding the pins at all. Reminded me of Minnesota golf mixed with a little Oxbow. Fave hole was the valley hole on the front 9.

We did not play any of the B pads, but it was still a blast. (Cant wait to play the longer pads!) Was pretty happy with my score of 54 after not carding any birds thru the first 7 holes, but was happy with birds on 11B, 14B, and 17B. Was a little unhappy my buddies gf was getting eaten alive by mosquitos for some reason (neither of us had a problem with them at all, just noticed some bumblebees here and there), so we were only able to play one round instead of the planned two. Sucks its so far from IC as it would be unreasonable to play it every day with gas prices as high as they are, but was definately worth the trip and probably a weekly trip. The only hole i didnt like was I think 15 or 16, where its an unreasonable flick/short anny in the A position, but the B position looked reasonable and a fun shot. A+++++, great job guys!!!
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby GDL17921 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks for the nice review Lindsley, Sidearm scuurrrt the piss out of me yesterday when he said this course was like playing hole 2 at Ewing over and over and over. You've got me excited again about going tomorrow.

I'll post my review on Monday.
GDL17921

Postby Sidearm » Fri May 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Didn't mean to scuurrrt the piss out of you. My oversimplification of Wildcat doesn't do it justice. I think you will like the course, but the lines are TIGHT! My brother & I played all long pads a couple weeks ago & the front nine reminded me of #2 at Ewing (but also #11 & #12 at Walnut). The back nine seemed a little more open. I hope you do well & I hope I survive the loooooong layout tomorrow afternoon.
Sidearm

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Let me start off by saying that you won't find too many people that won't tell you that this is one of the best courses in Iowa. It is. Whether you like wooded golf or not, this is how it's done. These guys had a vision, and have been following through with it since they started. It's a continuous work in progress. So many clubs and cities slap their courses in, and move on. Not these guys. These guys practically live out at this course, camping on the weekends, enjoying their families and camradarie, and working away on this course for us, one project at a time. Simply awesome.

The first time I played Wildcat Bluff was last May for the First Shawn Geers Memorial Dubs. This place is the perfect place for a disc golf tournament folks. The venue (not the course) reminds me a lot of Vichy, MO (Ozark Mountain camping) just not as rugged getting to the campsite----it's a little more accessible. The course reminds me a little of Akita's Run, but it plays a little tougher. After I played WB the first time, I clearly remember thinking to myself that I'd be in for quite the mental grind if I ever attempted to tackle a singles event there.

Fast forward 18 months or so, here we are, and I just played my first singles rounds at WB. The course has seen some changes over the last 18 months. Most of them were for the better, but these guys have dealt with some adversity. WB got hit by some pretty severe storms this year that I'm sure had the Wildcat Crew wondering if they were going to be able to host the First Annual WB Open. But let me assure you, these guys know how to get shit done. It's truly inspiring to see such a green, tight course idea open up into such a beautiful gem of a course.

If you haven't seen any of the pictures, check them out. I just looked back at the pics that got me really interested in playing the course. Most of them were taken prior to my first visit. Steve, you guys should take a pic of hole 8 from the tee so people can see just how the course has developed since those first pics you posted back in 2008.

When the Budhyzers started making this course, they didn't just go in there and start cutting trees down. Well, they did, lol, but you can tell that they were meticulous in selecting trees, sighting lines, careful not to select too many. Since then, they've been listening to all the feedback, digesting it, and have been making adjustments. They've added more pins, extended tee pads, removed a few more trees, added paved steps to help us up and down the ravine's, benches on every hole, the list could go on and on.

It's the quality of holes, along with the fairness/balance that course boasts, make it a great course. Then, for me, meeting the crew, seeing their hard work and dedication to this piece of land, their receptiveness to the disc golf community and all of our feedback absolutely puts this course over the top. IMO, it's the best course in the state, and it's in my top 3 overall. It's taken me two days to actually put that down for you all to read--it's hard to say ANY course is THE best. For me, this one is it. It's not going to be everyone's favorite course, but I guarantee you that you're missing out if you've never played it.
GDL17921

Postby IHearChains » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:00 pm

GDL5000 wrote:It's the quality of holes, along with the fairness/balance that course boasts, make it a great course.

And no RHBH hyzers over water! :D

I agree with your review, this course is definitely in my top 5 too... What a bummer I could not make it to this tourney.
IHearChains

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Jay, I sent you a PM.
Oh, and the $20.00 in the mail :lol:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:31 pm

WOW Jay. Great review for a great course.
AO

Postby Schirm » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 am

Great review indeed!

I've been playing wildcat for about a year an a half now, and I can only think of 2 or 3 times I've been there when I haven't seen one of the crew working.

My girlfriend, who hasn't been playing long, will wake me up early on my day off to go to wildcat.

I've walked the course with no discs before and had a blast.

Thank you wildcat crew for making a disc golf monument.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Pig, Buzzz, Cobra, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby Schirm » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:26 am

And I'll be happy with $10 thank you :lol:
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Pig, Buzzz, Cobra, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Return to Urbana - Wildcat Bluff