Riding Lawn Mower wanted

Buy Sell and Trade your goods. Personal items only no retailers!

Riding Lawn Mower wanted

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 am

Anybody have or know of someone who has an old John Deere rider they want to get rid of cheap.......or donate? We're getting to the point weed whacking the course will be futile at best and we're not getting any younger!
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 am

I wouldn't get your hearts set on a John Deere. Too much $$, especially in parts. However, if you find any old riding mower, and need it fixed, I'll donate free labor. I'd say start raising money, cuz a rider with hydrolics is gonna be in the multiple thousands...used. And smaller riding mowers won't hold on a hill very well, which could be an issue depending on what you intend to mow. I got a Poulan brand rider off c-list for free and only had to drill out the exhaust bolts, retap threads and install the new muffler. $50 mower in all, with a 12HP Briggs! Maybe talk to Woody or Burns and see what they've got at the Sled Shed. I'll keep my eyes out too. Beggars cant be choosers.
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks. I've owned a few John Deere mowers over the years and they've all been good to me, not one ever had a problem. Some of the older work horse models you can pick up for $500.00 to $1,000.00 and would work for what we need until we invest in something better down the road. Wouldn't get a Poulan, even if it was given to me...to each his own. They don't call them Pull On for nothing. :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm

If it never offered a single problem, why didn't you just keep the same one? :roll: Maybe POS is harsh, they are made right here in Uhmareika. And thats why it makes me mad that the prices are so high when theyre coming from Moline, Waterloo, Ankeny and the like. You do pay extra for the label is what I'm saying.
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Wed May 09, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby tufluk » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 am

Some JDs made for the box stores are not the same quality or price as the JDs sold at the implement centers. The Kawasaki engines in those Deeres last forever. (Change the oil!!!) My 520, 26 horse, liquid cooled is a grass cutting demon. As with any mass produced item, an occasional lemon can fall through the cracks. Sorry to hear you got one of those.
tufluk

Postby Like_Water » Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 am

I heard Frog has/had one.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the replies, been looking on Craigslist and have found some options there. I thought I would see if anyone had something more substantial than advise for me here. :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:If it never offered a single problem, why didn't you just keep the same one? :roll:

Sold it along with my acreage back in 1998 and moved into town. Anything else you want to know?
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Nohr » Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:
Buzzz Killington wrote:If it never offered a single problem, why didn't you just keep the same one? :roll:

Sold it along with my acreage back in 1998 and moved into town. Anything else you want to know?

Will #16 ever have a mando left of the tree (to the right of the tee) off the tee?
Nohr

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:Beggars cant be choosers.

Beggers? What's your problem son? I start a thread asking if someone has a mower for sale and I'm a beggar? Seriously?
Last edited by Budhyzer 17696 on Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Nohr wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

Will #16 ever have a mando left of the tree (to the right of the tee) off the tee?

Not you too Nohr? :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Buzzz Killington » Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm

It's not name calling, it's a saying. A beggar is someone asking for something for free (i.e. a donation). I was also talking about both of us. When offered a free Poulan, I didn't turn my nose up at it. I fixed it and now it serves me well, with no issues since October when I worked on it. When he said this one is free, I didn't say, "Wouldn't get a Poulan, even if it was given to me." Beggars can't be choosers. Me? I'd just want the grass cut, no matter what I'm sitting on to do it, and as a volunteer, I'd want to do it as cheaply as possible. Yes, I understand what an investment is.

Son? I'm 31. You may be old enough to be my dad, I don't know.

Maybe instead of telling you of what relative experience I had in getting mowers for free/cheap, I should have just said I fix small engines professionally, for the biggest lawn care company in this area, 55 hours a week. I've worked on lots of mowers, on about 1/2 the brands out there. Yes, really. Ask someone who also works in the industry of what their opinion about Deere's are (someone who isn't trying to sell you one). John Deere makes a really great stick edger, best I've ever used...their mower, meh, pricey for what you get. Why pay that money when I can get the same mower, same deck, same engine for a couple thousand less? If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a Kubota.
I got offended cuz you asked for a free/cheap mower, and I gave you my advice. You didn't want it. Sorry. No I don't have any free mowers right now. I'll keep an eye out still.
I respect you because you're a volunteer in the game I love. And doing a great job at the course. I think I tickled a nerve because my initial response was negative. Thats my bad.
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Wed May 09, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:17 pm

I simply asked if anyone had a John Deere rider they wanted to sell. I didn't ask for an opinion on what type of mower would be best to buy. I have my preferences (John Deere) and you have yours, doesn't make either of us right or wrong. I thought I'd throw that donation thing in there, it never hurts to ask. We've spent a ton of money at Wildcat Bluff and I thought I'd give someone the chance to give back also if they wanted. I've got you in age by about 20 years so you are a son to me, sorry if you're offended.
I appreciate your offer to help and may take you up on that sometime if the John Deere we buy breaks down.....unless you won't work on them. :lol: It's all good, we'll find something and life will go on. Peace out.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Buzzz Killington » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Ok, so I know you're opinion about opinions :D but I thought I'd chime in on this. If you've a legit organization....say Urbana Disc Golf, or City of Urbana Parks and Recreation Foundation, you can get equipment donated to that org, which is awesome, but also the donators get the value of that equip in a tax write-off called a 501C3, even if you just borrow it. You could try that angle on a business or individuals looking to offload a mower.

And my offer will still stand, regardless which mower turns up.
Buzzz Killington

Postby GDL17921 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 am

wow, this guys a small machine mechanic and a CPA :roll:
GDL17921

Next

Return to Bartertown