What's Bugging Clue

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby johnemus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:43 am

GDL17921 wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:yep.

What about knocking the stuff down behind your lie in a practice run up?

I would think if you're doing it intentionally, it's a violation of 803.05. Incidental contact is expected.

I could be entirely wrong but, my thought on the rule was if the obstacle was completely behind your lie (tree branch, etc) that it could be moved legally but if any part of the branch or whatever extended to anypoint past your lie you couldn't move it. Like I said, I am probably worng on this, but that was my interpretation of the rule. :?:
johnemus

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:44 am

johnemus wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:yep.

What about knocking the stuff down behind your lie in a practice run up?

I would think if you're doing it intentionally, it's a violation of 803.05. Incidental contact is expected.

I could be entirely wrong but, my thought on the rule was if the obstacle was completely behind your lie (tree branch, etc) that it could be moved legally but if any part of the branch or whatever extended to anypoint past your lie you couldn't move it. Like I said, I am probably worng on this, but that was my interpretation of the rule. :?:

you're talking about a branch lying on the ground, we're talking more about attached obstacles, like tall grass, pine trees that you might be under, etc.
GDL17921

Postby grodney » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am

Buzzznation wrote:In a lot of instances the player should be throwing from lying on the ground (under a pine tree for example) to result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle.

That's what I do.
grodney

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:39 am

The problem is the rules don't really address when grass is tall enough to become foliage that shouldn't be moved except for incidental contact. Technically, grabbing a handful of (living) grass and tossing it up to check the wind shouldn't be allowed.
cgkdisc

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:54 am

dear furher: any new "rules" on the team tourney this year..........

no love?
Last edited by Abe Froman on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abe Froman

Postby Pittman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Foot IS on the ground 90% of the time.

You can't move ANYTHING that is attached. Grass is attached.

New question. For the casual obstacle rule. Is it 5 meters back from your disc or the casual obstacle???? Tell what you think.
Pittman

Postby Cydisc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Pittman wrote:Foot IS on the ground 90% of the time.

New question. For the casual obstacle rule. Is it 5 meters back from your disc or the casual obstacle???? Tell what you think.

You obtain relief from the "original lie". I interpret that as the disc.
Cydisc

Postby Cydisc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Pittman wrote:You can't move ANYTHING that is attached. Grass is attached.

That's why some people bring their own grass. They're just trying to play by the rules.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Pittman wrote:Foot IS on the ground 90% of the time.

5 meters from the disc, on the line of play.
GDL17921

Postby Clue » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:32 pm

This grass thing is a great question. Chuck pretty much nailed it when he said there's no point where grass becomes an obstacle. A classic example of this is when I was partnered with Claring at Walnut Ridge. His disc was about 25ft from the basket and 10ft into some grass/weeds that were probably 5-6ft tall. He walked straight to his disc and low and behold there was a beautiful pathway straight to the basket! I believe his comment was, "I have to get to the disc somehow."
Clue

Postby Clue » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Cydisc wrote:
Pittman wrote:You can't move ANYTHING that is attached. Grass is attached.

That's why some people bring their own grass. They're just trying to play by the rules.

Buckeye!
Clue

Postby Cydisc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Clue wrote:This grass thing is a great question. Chuck pretty much nailed it when he said there's no point where grass becomes an obstacle. A classic example of this is when I was partnered with Claring at Walnut Ridge. His disc was about 25ft from the basket and 10ft into some grass/weeds that were probably 5-6ft tall. He walked straight to his disc and low and behold there was a beautiful pathway straight to the basket! I believe his comment was, "I have to get to the disc somehow."

This reminds me of the thick bamboo patch by #16 basket at Winny Gold in 2002. I found myself in the center of that patch and even though I was less than 10' from the basket, I had to toss it out away from the basket because that was the only way out. If it had only occured to me that bamboo is a grass.
Cydisc

Postby Pittman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Clue wrote:This grass thing is a great question. Chuck pretty much nailed it when he said there's no point where grass becomes an obstacle. A classic example of this is when I was partnered with Claring at Walnut Ridge. His disc was about 25ft from the basket and 10ft into some grass/weeds that were probably 5-6ft tall. He walked straight to his disc and low and behold there was a beautiful pathway straight to the basket! I believe his comment was, "I have to get to the disc somehow."

This is cheating. The grass is an obstacle too. By your reasoning I should bring a chainsaw and cut down every tree on the course.
Pittman

Postby Clue » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Pittman wrote:This is cheating. The grass is an obstacle too. By your reasoning I should bring a chainsaw and cut down every tree on the course.

I understand the argument, but the problem is *when* does it become cheating? If the grass is 1 ft high, are you allowed to walk on it? Do you have to approach the disc from behind the lie? What if the path of least resistance to get to your disc is on the line of play and is predominantly surrounded by large trees behind and to the sides of the lie?
Clue

Postby Pittman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Clue wrote:
Pittman wrote:This is cheating. The grass is an obstacle too. By your reasoning I should bring a chainsaw and cut down every tree on the course.

I understand the argument, but the problem is *when* does it become cheating? If the grass is 1 ft high, are you allowed to walk on it? Do you have to approach the disc from behind the lie? What if the path of least resistance to get to your disc is on the line of play and is predominantly surrounded by large trees behind and to the sides of the lie?

It becomes cheating when you are creating an "easier" putt/shot for yourself.

Yes you can walk on it if it is 1 ft high. Yes you should approach from behind if at all possible. VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS to this. Backing into your lie is bullshit.
Pittman

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator