What's Bugging Clue

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 pm

I had Zach Moses call me on a foot fault this weekend it was the first time ever, but I know for sure its not the first time I have violated it. Zach was very courteous and after a second of thinking I realized hes probly helping me out in the long run. So thanks Zach I have one more thing I need to work on :D In all serious I have never called anyone on a foot fault either but like has been said before to protect the integrity of the game it needs to be done.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby gocards300 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 pm

discgolfduval wrote:True, I do have a teaching degree but rest easy knowing I would have to take several classes to renew my teaching license before teaching actual children.

Just what parents want, you teaching their children.
gocards300

Postby rightcunnin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:05 pm

gocards300 wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:True, I do have a teaching degree but rest easy knowing I would have to take several classes to renew my teaching license before teaching actual children.

You got away with having them. That scares me a hell of a lot more.
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby gocards300 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:19 am

rightcunnin wrote:
gocards300 wrote:

You got away with having them. That scares me a hell of a lot more.

thats only because i used whiskey and duct tape
gocards300

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Let me preface this week's edition by saying I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm well over 95% sure. It's my belief that if/when a player is teeing from the back of the pad and has one foot on the pad and one foot off the pad, that their back foot (the one off of the teeing surface) is still touching the ground at the point of release thus resulting in a stance violation.

I have *not* seen any video of this so again I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing over half of all disc golfers believe they are releasing the disc after their back foot leaves the playing surface. I truly believe they are wrong. The biggest issue is that I don't think it varies from player to player. I believe everyone is touching or everyone isn't touching (for the most part anyway), and I want to know the answer.
Clue

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I think you see this when players are throwing backhand rollers. I've never seen video analysis but I believe that most of the time it appears the foot off the tee is lifted just before release.
cgkdisc

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

cgkdisc wrote:I think you see this when players are throwing backhand rollers. I've never seen video analysis but I believe that most of the time it appears the foot off the tee is lifted just before release.
Clue wrote:but I'm guessing over half of all disc golfers believe they are releasing the disc after their back foot leaves the playing surface. I truly believe they are wrong.

Thanks for making my point.

The rollers maybe, in fact I'd say it's more likely that foot comes up when throwing a backhand roller, however the 3-4 times it's come up this year have been on short hyzer shots where players are trying to get a better angle right of an early tree from the back of the pad. A few of these have been stand still shots. Again, show me the video. Hopefully I'll get it soon enough so we can settle this. I just hope once I get video of a few people (assuming I'm right) that I have to deal with the argument that they somehow are different from everyone else.
Clue

Postby grodney » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 am

To help you make your point, I am speculating that for the most part, the back foot is (barely) off the ground at the point of release.
grodney

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:32 am

I havent really paid attention to backhand shots, but I can guarantee that my right foot is off the ground for a thumber...
SARG27044

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:00 am

I was wondering about this the other day and figured this would be a good spot to address it.

I'll reference hole #8 at Big Creek. I throw my drive to the left in the tall grass/ weeds. In it's prime that stuff can get up to 4 to 5 feet tall and when directly in your way can cause quite an obstacle. Often times I walk ahead of my lie to see how I want to approach my shot, in doing so in this case I conveniantly knock the tall stuff down in front of me. Is this a penalty for improving my line to the basket?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:02 am

yep.
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:05 am

GDL17921 wrote:yep.

What about knocking the stuff down behind your lie in a practice run up?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Cydisc » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am

Buzzznation wrote:

Yep. cheater.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 am

Buzzznation wrote:

I would think if you're doing it intentionally, it's a violation of 803.05. Incidental contact is expected.
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 am

GDL17921 wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:

I would think if you're doing it intentionally, it's a violation of 803.05. Incidental contact is expected.

Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: Players must choose a stance which results in the least movement of any part of any obstacle except as allowed for casual obstacles by 803.05 C. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, picnic tables, etc.) as they are considered part of the course. Once a legal stance is taken, a player may not move an obstacle (or hold it back or bend it) in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to make incidental movement of an obstacle.

I would have to think that this is a rule that is violated quite frequently and rarely called. More times than not players in the group don't even venture into the shule to see if the player is abiding by this. In a lot of instances the player should be throwing from lying on the ground (under a pine tree for example) to result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator