What's Bugging Clue

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Cydisc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:44 pm

discgolfduval wrote:Now lets hear the..."i exhert so much extra mental and physical energy concentrating on hitting my mark part of the game that you dont even think about" argument.)

Oh, the burden of playing by the rules.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:05 pm

I think when people get rules called on them, the notion is that they have been called out, or even that they are cheating.

Fausch, I will argue that it takes practice to run up and hit your mark, and if somebody consistently misses it, obviously they haven't put that practice in. According to your arguement, this is OK. Why is it OK? Because you're above the existing rule, and you think it doesn't matter? It's not a gray area, where another player can make a determination whether or not it really "mattered". It's a rule, and as golfers it's on us and our integrity to preserve the integrity of the sport and the rules that govern it. I think it's a little haughty of you to say that it just doesn't matter, or that YOU make the call on a case by case basis, dependent on whether or not you thought it was critical. So if I throw one in from 250 feet from the middle of a field, and miss my mark by a foot, you're not going to call it? I raise.....

Ask Clue how his shot went when he knew for certain that Shane was watching to make sure he hit his mark.

Bottom line is, practice it. If you don't, then maybe you shouldn't be running up on approach shots, because somebody will call you eventually.
GDL17921

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:07 pm

And welcome to the world of taking things out of context. :roll:
My point is the rule is inherently subjective so at some point people need to worry more about throwing good shots, enjoying the game and taking a beating once in a while without trying to conjure up reasons why they lost. I'll say it again, its impossible to be directly on the line ALL the time. Sure, you should do everything in your power to stay behind it but yeah to try and mess with people for doing something you will do FOR SURE yourself durring the round seems a little petty to say the least.
discgolfduval

Postby Clue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:13 pm

discgolfduval wrote:I'll say it again, its impossible to be directly on the line ALL the time.

This is precisely the problem, I don't think a lot of people understand where the line is, and what it takes to have *any* part of your foot touching it. It's not like your toe needs to just barely touch it. Your toes can be nearly a foot to the left of the line of play as long as your heal is touching. Your issue is how you perceive where the line is and what it takes to cover it with your foot.

The issue of what matters and what doesn't is preposterous. Why make people tap out. It's not like anyone is going to miss from 1 ft?!? Why does Tiger tap out when the ball is resting on the lip? Don't we know what score he's gonna get?
Clue

Postby grodney » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:23 pm

discgolfduval wrote:Sure, you should do everything in your power to stay behind it but yeah to try and mess with people for doing something you will do FOR SURE yourself durring the round seems a little petty to say the least.

Fausch, this is so ignorant and stupid, all at the same time.
grodney

Postby grodney » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Okay, we all know I'm not a competitive golfer, haven't played a sanctioned round in over 10 years, and couldn't give 2 sh!ts about it. So this isn't about ME. Having said that:

- Every competitive disc golfer should call it EVERY time they see it.
- Every competitive disc golfer should expect to be called on it EVERY time they do it.

By the way, am I still the world's biggest proponent of the No Fairway Runup? Such a cool rule. So misunderstood by society. Shame, really.
grodney

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Clue wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:I'll say it again, its impossible to be directly on the line ALL the time.

This is precisely the problem, I don't think a lot of people understand where the line is, and what it takes to have *any* part of your foot touching it. It's not like your toe needs to just barely touch it. Your toes can be nearly a foot to the left of the line of play as long as your heal is touching. Your issue is how you perceive where the line is and what it takes to cover it with your foot.

The issue of what matters and what doesn't is preposterous. Why make people tap out. It's not like anyone is going to miss from 1 ft?!? Why does Tiger tap out when the ball is resting on the lip? Don't we know what score he's gonna get?

Yeah, I must have the rule wrong cause I've always been under the thought that there was this perfect line that had to run right directly down the middle of your foot and actually had to bend with the contour of it. So the rule just says you have to have some part of your foot beind the middle of the disc. That makes this rule a little easier to understand. I'm not advocating cheating by any means, just never been one to nit pick either. Rules are rules but no matter what sport your playing, some rules are certainly stressed more than others while some are expected to be played by but never usually called. Hell I was watching Andy Roddick play this year at the US Open and he foot faulted several times and nobody said a word. You can say the officials weren't doing their job or you can say that what he was doing was so meaningless that it wasnt worth bringing up.
discgolfduval

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

I'll stop now as Im sure I have dug a big enough hole for one day.
discgolfduval

Postby The Donator » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 pm

grodney wrote:- Every competitive disc golfer should call it EVERY time they see it.
- Every competitive disc golfer should expect to be called on it EVERY time they do it.

I dont know about that. There is holding on every play in every football game but its not called every single time.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 pm

The Donator wrote:
grodney wrote:- Every competitive disc golfer should call it EVERY time they see it.

I dont know about that. There is holding on every play in every football game but its not called every single time.

not a good comparison, IMO. nice try though. Next.....
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 pm

The Donator wrote:

It's not seen every time.
Cydisc

Postby Single L » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 pm

discgolfduval wrote:
Clue wrote:

Yeah, I must have the rule wrong cause I've always been under the thought that there was this perfect line that had to run right directly down the middle of your foot and actually had to bend with the contour of it. So the rule just says you have to have some part of your foot beind the middle of the disc.

What's so hard to understand .....

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

Line of Play = The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker.

One rule violation that cracks me up the most is this "have no supporting point contact with the marker disc" I see soooooooo many people putting or throwing all nuzzled up to their marker. Most of the violators make a point to look down and make sure their touching it. Cracks me up that they focus so hard on placing their foot in a stance violation :lol: :lol:
This is a violation I call all the time. It’s not going to make any difference to me if they get flustered; pretty sure I can handle the lack of pressure as someone is watching me like a hawk to make sure I have my toe within a foot of my marker :lol: :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:53 pm

To answer your question, its the line of play that's hard to understand. That can only be determined by the group for the most part.
discgolfduval

Postby Clue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:56 pm

discgolfduval wrote:To answer your question, its the line of play that's hard to understand. That can only be determined by the group for the most part.

I cannot believe you have a teaching degree.
Clue

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:06 pm

True, I do have a teaching degree but rest easy knowing I would have to take several classes to renew my teaching license before teaching actual children.
discgolfduval

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator