What's Bugging Clue

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Pittman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Sorry Shane I wasn't meaning to imply you were actually mad. Just an illustration how even among friends it can be an issue.
Pittman

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Pittman wrote: This situation is also another prime example for a disc golf problem.

I think it's more of a disc golfer problem, not a disc golf problem. An argument can be made that we have a lot of players that lack integrity rather than saying the process for calling rules is a problem in our sport....A person that gets mad because a blatant rules voilation was called on them is essentially a cheater IMO.
GDL17921

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:10 pm

There was another dispute yesterday, and one player said he didn't want to get in a fight so he let it go. In their situation a provisional would've solved the problem. Sometimes the ruling doesn't call for a provisional, and in those situations a player can call for the TD. So there should never be a reason for any animosity between players.
Clue

Postby The Donator » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Clue wrote:There was another dispute yesterday, and one player said he didn't want to get in a fight so he let it go. In their situation a provisional would've solved the problem. Sometimes the ruling doesn't call for a provisional, and in those situations a player can call for the TD. So there should never be a reason for any animosity between players.

Except that there always will be in many sitations. Sometimes me not calling a foot fault or whatever helps me, as I dont want to hear the player bitch the rest of the round/tournament. I can throw out several names if needed...for a price. But its not like id EVER get a second from anyone anyways.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 pm

The Donator wrote:But its not like id EVER get a second from anyone anyways.

You're correct, however even Pittman just said he wouldn't have called if I hadn't so you have to start somewhere. I've called at least 50 foot faults where nobody seconded the call, however if you get in the habit of calling it then people will get used to you calling it and those who have always kept quiet will start to feel more confidence that their call will be held up.
Clue

Postby z-man » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:36 pm

I was playing in a tournament out here and had Nikko call me on a foot fault...I was side stepping around a tree so I could advance my disc, and as I threw my plant foot (behind my mini) rose up onto my toes...my toes happened to be off the center line (my heal was on the line prior to my release). I was unaware I was lifting away from the line and I would have continued doing this illegally until pointed out...As I was lifting off I gained that extra 3 inches of space to get around the tree...Once I focused on not lifting it created a much more difficult shot...My re-throw was a sidearm that cut off a tree and went OB...a painful lesson but now I won't be breaking that rule in the future...Sometimes you have to call people out so they learn of improper form or rules they are breaking...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby The Donator » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Thats a good point. Seems like the only time i call it and it gets 2nded is when i point out one to someone else on the card (i usually have to know them) and tell them to watch for it. Its not like I ask the other player to 2nd it when I call it, but i try to give them a hint. I guess what do you do when you call it so often and no one 2nd's it? The person in question watches himself from then on? Your card catches on to it while watching themselves as well? I guess if you can swallow your pride in the ensuing silence after the call for the good of the group, then it works.
The Donator

Postby Single L » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Pittman wrote:This situation is also another prime example for a disc golf problem. We all know why... You call the foot fault and there is tension then if not right out hatred.

^^^
This

Hell I've even tried to go the friendly route by giving a fellow DGer an informal "You Might Want to Watch that" and got an earful.

At the Washington Tournament on our fist hole of the 3rd Round a Certain DGer foot faulted by a toe or so. So instead of calling him out and pissing him off I figured I'd give give him an informal warning on the way to the next tee. I politely said "Hey man you might want to watch it, you foot faulted just bit there and were close a couple of time the previous round (we played together the round before as well)". That was the dumbest thing I've ever done .... I got an earful about how I need to worry about my own game and how I'd be a better player if I didn't worry about how other people are playing". I proceeded to have a terrible round as it ate at me all round. There was just an uncomfortable vibe from there on out.

Calling foot faults are tough. They're usually a detriment to your game, not their's. It always seems to be the habitual violators that make a big deal out of it and try to work you for calling them. The few times I've called people I'd consider rare offenders (like Shane) they are usually apologetic and realize what they did, proceed with there second, and go on with their day. It's too bad that some just don't get it (I fear some of them do and use this reverse-psychology to their advantage on purpose).
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Single L » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm

The Donator wrote:Thats a good point. Seems like the only time i call it and it gets 2nded is when i point out one to someone else on the card (i usually have to know them) and tell them to watch for it.

I think this is the route I will start to go if I know I'm on a card with a habitual offender .......... No more Mr. Nice guy warnings from me.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby The Donator » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:33 pm

porkchop wrote:
Pittman wrote:This situation is also another prime example for a disc golf problem. We all know why... You call the foot fault and there is tension then if not right out hatred.

^^^
This

Hell I've even tried to go the friendly route by giving a fellow DGer an informal "You Might Want to Watch that" and got an earful.

At the Washington Tournament on our fist hole of the 3rd Round a Certain DGer foot faulted by a toe or so. So instead of calling him out and pissing him off I figured I'd give give him an informal warning on the way to the next tee. I politely said "Hey man you might want to watch it, you foot faulted just bit there and were close a couple of time the previous round (we played together the round before as well)". That was the dumbest thing I've ever done .... I got an earful about how I need to worry about my own game and how I'd be a better player if I didn't worry about how other people are playing". I proceeded to have a terrible round as it ate at me all round. There was just an uncomfortable vibe from there on out.
Thats exactly what i was trying to explain - having a better round by not calling anything. Ive had this happen many times when I played open the few years that I did as well, its not just an Am1 deal.
The Donator

Postby QMikal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 pm

i just wanted to say something on this thread. and there. i've said my peace!!! :)
Don't worry about that big guy, I can scream like a school girl!
QMikal

Postby shane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:46 pm

shut up Mikal you're always sticking you're nose in.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Cydisc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Mikal speaks? Who knew?

- The Pot
Cydisc

Postby QMikal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:53 am

when you have something as profound to say as when i say something. you must listen. I have spoken.
Don't worry about that big guy, I can scream like a school girl!
QMikal

Postby discgolfduval » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 pm

There's no right or wrong answer to this issue. Without a no run up rule(and even if they did have that rule) there will ALWAYS be foot faulting to a degree. It's not like golf where there's a ball sitting there that you continously hit and there isnt a line painted on the ground like Tennis or basketball or whatever. I think you have to assess every situation differently. You could argue that somebodies foot isn't always EXACTLY behind the line(or in the line of play). If somebody is behind a tree and blatantly cheating, I will call them on it...but if someone is in the middle of the fairway 300 ft out and misses their mark by a couple inches....foot fault away brother. And yes I agree Dustin Johnson and Calvin Johnson got screwed. They were robbed of whats supposed to be a victory for out-performing their opponent by something that had 0 baring on the end result. Now lets hear the..."i exhert so much extra mental and physical energy concentrating on hitting my mark part of the game that you dont even think about" argument.)
discgolfduval

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator