Iowa State PDGA Coordinator 2010 Candidate

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Single L » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Golfguy wrote:I agree the current method for determining the Official PDGA calendar and all other events as well sucks...so, my solution is to gather ideas from the other TDs and active players to be used to create a better method or way of getting the job done.

You have to remember that there is nothing stopping people from going over the SC and scheduling with the PDGA .... ALL events are supposed to be approved by the SC, but it’s not the case ...... the PDGA is not going to say no to $$$ ..... we need an SC that can step up to the PDGA to not allow this when this happens.

I think a certain tournament in Ankeny is always scheduled as soon as the date for the following Summerfest is announced ..... which is waaaay before the Iowa schedule is even thought about ..... not singling out the TD, just pointing out that it happens.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:00 pm

dirtyj wrote:I guess my question to both of you is how are you going to handle conflict with next years schedule? The next quetion rolls right into the first one. Tim/Clue would you show favoritism to people or teams that you belong to or are affiliated with. This could be considered a conflict of intrest in some cases if not handled transparently and or fairly.

In all reality we only had 1-2 problems this year and those could've been handled fairly easily with a little better communication. I don't see making the schedule being wrought with problems or conflicts of interest like some make it out to be.

I'm not looking to make some giant overhaul. I think having a deadline to submit dates over the winter will give us a good feel for who wants to do what. In the event that there are multiple interests for the same date, seniority may take precedent, but we'll explore other options. One thing I will not do is have one blanket rule that trumps all. Every situation is unique and should be handled accordingly.

There are weird situations like the Ankeny Summerfest or Iowa Games where the PDGA schedule or the Iowa schedule are going to be irrelevant. Those tournaments will happen regardless of sanctioning. Another tournament may get sanctioning priority, but the SC would have no authority to make them change dates.

I think the biggest issue will be getting the PDGA to honor the blessing of the State Coordinator. I have great contacts on the Board of Directors and can make sure that the PDGA will not overrule our decisions here locally.

Now, I haven't exactly addressed getting new tournaments on the schedule. I know you guys in Ames have been putting a lot of effort in the last year or so and it hasn't gone unnoticed. I expect you guys to push to get on the schedule. Atlantic and Forest City have been pushing as well. We're all going to benefit from this ambition. There are also tournaments that have fallen off a little bit. Madrid is probably extinct. Oskaloosa may be in a rebuilding process. These are things that are going to affect the schedule. I think there's going to be plenty of room for everyone. It may take some compromise, but I expect things to work out pretty smoothly, especially for next year.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:02 pm

porkchop wrote:You have to remember that there is nothing stopping people from going over the SC and scheduling with the PDGA .... ALL events are supposed to be approved by the SC, but it’s not the case ...... the PDGA is not going to say no to $$$ ..... we need an SC that can step up to the PDGA to not allow this when this happens.

I think a certain tournament in Ankeny is always scheduled as soon as the date for the following Summerfest is announced ..... which is waaaay before the Iowa schedule is even thought about ..... not singling out the TD, just pointing out that it happens.

There is something that can prevent that, a vote for me. I know everyone on the BOD very well and am still in touch (although not active) on the disciplinary committee. This is something I believe I can take control of.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:09 pm

I forgot to address conflict of interest. No, this will not be a problem. Tim has ties to the QC and Iron Lion. I've been a member of the Proflight Team for the last couple of years, but I consider myself to be pretty good friends with Chase as well. In fact Chase and I probably agree on more issues than Shane and I do. If anything, I'm acutely aware of a large anti-DM sentiment that is far from malicious, but very much exists. I want to be perceived as being fair. I want balance geographically. Plus, I love playing out of town. I'm not just going to approve a DM heavy schedule.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby Single L » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Clue wrote:
porkchop wrote:You have to remember that there is nothing stopping people from going over the SC and scheduling with the PDGA .... ALL events are supposed to be approved by the SC, but it’s not the case ...... the PDGA is not going to say no to $$$ ..... we need an SC that can step up to the PDGA to not allow this when this happens.

I think a certain tournament in Ankeny is always scheduled as soon as the date for the following Summerfest is announced ..... which is waaaay before the Iowa schedule is even thought about ..... not singling out the TD, just pointing out that it happens.

There is something that can prevent that, a vote for me. I know everyone on the BOD very well and am still in touch (although not active) on the disciplinary committee. This is something I believe I can take control of.


Good to hear .... one caveat to this is the PDGA Distance requirements. Let’s say you tell someone NO they can't have a certain date. So they go to the PDGA and schedule it sighting they meet the radius rules with the conflicting event. This is where the SC has no play really. I think moving forward the radius rules are going to come in to play more frequently as there will be more and more tournaments and more and more players.

This will make scheduling way in advanced a must with an application deadline like Clue stated. This way more than one event can happen on the same day if need be ...... I see no issue with tournaments on the same day if they are hours apart drawing mostly from separate population bases.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:17 pm

porkchop wrote:This will make scheduling way in advanced a must with an application deadline like Clue stated. This way more than one event can happen on the same day if need be ...... I see no issue with tournaments on the same day if they are hours apart drawing mostly from separate population bases.

Plus I'm hoping that in these situations we can flip-flop Pros and Ams so that many players will be able to play both on the same weekend.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby shane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:44 pm

Just a few things here.

First Ankeny did not skip the SC. They knew when they need to have their tourney and scheduled accordingly. I don't know why Ankeny gets this bad rep. Lance Coles is a great guy working with disc golf before most of you even knew what the game was. He's also on the board with First Class Credit Union and we owe them a lot as they have adopted us.

The next thing do you all really think anyone is going to give Chase or myself special considerations. C'mon Seriously?

Next every time you change a date on the calendar you have to change 5 more. If you don't grandfather these in to the dates they have then you run into the problems.

The TD, clubs, or business' running the tourneys are very much an essential part of the equation. With out them you don't have tourneys Sorry that's just the way it is. With out them there really isn't a reason for the SC. Just sayin...

While the way the calendar is set up it isn't perfect but it works. A lot of it just takes some communication. I believe that's the part that is really missing right now. We all know that, let's not read more into it then there is. By having to submit a date by say 1-31-11 everyone running a tourney is just going to ask for random dates how does that work better. Now you have 5 people asking for the same date because they didn't know others were asking for it. I fully believe if you want to hold a new tourney take a date that isn't taken If you're running an existing tourney keep the date that you have. It's not that hard, really.

Just my two cents.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Des Moines

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 pm

shane wrote:First Ankeny did not skip the SC. They knew when they need to have their tourney and scheduled accordingly. I don't know why Ankeny gets this bad rep. Lance Coles is a great guy working with disc golf before most of you even knew what the game was. He's also on the board with First Class Credit Union and we owe them a lot as they have adopted us.

I hope you didn't misunderstand anything I said. My take was simply that his tournament, Iowa Games, and now a couple others like Creston Fun Days and Grinnell are going to have a disc golf tournament on their respective dates......period. All I was saying is that may not give them precedence for getting those dates sanctioned. It's more of a notice to other TDs in the area that may have a better reason for a tournament on those dates, they may get sanctioning, but that isn't going to prevent them from having to compete with those tournaments I mentioned above.

I guess where I'm going with this is that the answer to not getting sanctioning approval will be hosting events without sanctioning. That is going to be something that is tough to deal with.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

shane wrote:While the way the calendar is set up it isn't perfect but it works. A lot of it just takes some communication. I believe that's the part that is really missing right now. We all know that, let's not read more into it then there is. By having to submit a date by say 1-31-11 everyone running a tourney is just going to ask for random dates how does that work better. Now you have 5 people asking for the same date because they didn't know others were asking for it. I fully believe if you want to hold a new tourney take a date that isn't taken If you're running an existing tourney keep the date that you have. It's not that hard, really.

I don't disagree with most of this, however I think having a deadline to *keep* your date is far from unreasonable. In past years we always saved that first Sat in May for HH because we knew it was going to happen and we wanted it to happen even if the club didn't really announce anything until spring. There are going to be tournaments that will have to be a little more diligent in the future to secure those dates, however, I wouldn't schedule somebody over it just because I didn't hear from somebody.

Let's say Ames wants to do something the 3rd weekend in May. I'd be sure to get a hold of Doug and Adam to check on the status of LOD before I'd ever just give up the date because of some random deadline. Everyone is going to know something is developing before anything is laid in concrete.

Shane, I agree that we don't need to reinvent the wheel. It is simply a matter of better communication. I've talked to many TDs this year, some well established, some up and coming, and I've read comments from several others. All of them want the same thing, consideration.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby claring » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:44 pm

shane wrote:Just a few things here.

I fully believe if you want to hold a new tourney take a date that isn't taken If you're running an existing tourney keep the date that you have. It's not that hard, really.

Just my two cents.


I agree
claring
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:05 am

Postby shane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Clue I should of done some quoting but actually I wasn't even talking about any of your quotes (for once).
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Des Moines

Postby irban » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 am

I want to know what you're going to do about the jerks at BHMDGL! And the a-hole rec players who insist on sharing our courses during league! And the beer at PDGA board meetings!
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 am

shane wrote:Clue I should of done some quoting but actually I wasn't even talking about any of your quotes (for once).

I know ...... you were talking to me.

If he went through the SC in the past, than I apologize for the assumption. That event is always on the Calendar really early, roughly when Ankeny Announces the date for the Next years Fest, so I made the assumption. I apologize for that.

There is thing wrong with always having a date that coincides with a town festival; Like Clue said it’s going to happen regardless. However I think this is where the change in perception of these events need to happen. If there is an event that is potentially of better quality and they want the same date as a "Traditional" event they should have the right to it as well. With more courses going in and more people willing to run events eventually, and not too far off, there are going to be more tournaments than weekends; and there will have to be some competition for ALL Dates, even the "Traditional" ones.

You took my post waaaaay out of context, not anywhere did I say Lance was a bad guy, far from it, I really enjoy him and think he runs a solid event. And the FCC comment is laying it on a little thick, you think I didn't know that ..... come on man ..... a simple he has sanctioned his events through the SC would have sufficed.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby shane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 am

I meant to lay it on thick. He might read this and we want First Class Credit Union back next year. I thought you would catch on to that part of it. :wink:

When Steve was the SC there wasn't as many tourneys so some of the traditional tourneys just always had their dates. No problem. TJ came into the pic at pretty much the same time that everything started exploding. Lance just went to the PDGA "like he normally did" the first year that TJ was in and it kind of torked TJ. TJ had made an announcement on here for all of the TDS to get a hold of him. What he didn't do was call of the TDS, so the ones that aren't on here didn't know any better Lance, Jeff Adams, Brad Carr. I think I actually locked up the dates for those tourneys the last couple of years. So it's not like you were off you just didn't know the history or background on it. Lances was the only one that was public for some reason. Everyone loves to hate Heritage (it's got a worse rep then DMDGC).

Some of the other stuff came from other posts.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Des Moines

Postby Single L » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 am

Word
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron