Iowa State PDGA Coordinator 2010 Candidate

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby nickmiller » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 am

Here's a link to the basic information so far. More information will be posted soon.

http://blacklensdesign.com/timmiller/

Thanks!
User avatar
nickmiller
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Location: Cedar Falls, IA

Postby irban » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 am

nickmiller wrote:Here's a link to the basic information so far. More information will be posted soon.

http://blacklensdesign.com/timmiller/

Thanks!

Ummm, wait. Is he running for the state coordinator of fishing?
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby chappyfade » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 pm

irban wrote:
nickmiller wrote:Here's a link to the basic information so far. More information will be posted soon.

http://blacklensdesign.com/timmiller/

Thanks!

Ummm, wait. Is he running for the state coordinator of fishing?


Maybe he's fishing for votes. Sorry, couldn't resist.
User avatar
chappyfade
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:47 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby Clue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:03 pm

I have to admit I have some real concerns with Tim. This doesn't come from being an opponent in this contest, but as a player who does not want to see this state ruled with an iron fist. I've been getting a *lot* of messages about many instances of Tim getting frustrated when he doesn't get his way and blowing up, or quitting.

I think my best attribute is being reasonable and fair. Even in the most heated of arguments or discussions you will see me address your point of view and explain why I disagree with it without just beating you over the head with my opinion. I can assure the TDs in this state that I will do my best to accommodate most, if not all, requests to get tournaments on the schedule. I'm pretty creative and innovative when it comes to problem solving, and I think most importantly I have a lot of support around me to help in this process.

Another thing of note is that I will likely have sold my business by this fall and will be dedicating a lot more time to disc golf in a few different capacities, but this job would get most of my attention. I'll be even more visible at tournaments and getting around the state to see some of the courses I haven't played yet.
Clue
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby IHearChains » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Clue wrote:I've been getting a *lot* of messages about many instances of Tim getting frustrated when he doesn't get his way and blowing up, or quitting.



Interesting ad hominem attack, unsupported by evidence. Even more interesting that it is coming from a guy who, in the very same post, claims to be reasonable and fair, not to mention creative and innovative.

You'd think if your claim had any merit at all, people would stop attending his tournaments. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my point of view is that your claim is nothing more than a feeble pathetic personal attack.
IHearChains
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

Postby Clue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:41 pm

IHearChains wrote:You'd think if your claim had any merit at all, people would stop attending his tournaments. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my point of view is that your claim is nothing more than a feeble pathetic personal attack.

So you admit that you're going to draw a conclusion without any of the facts based upon one paragraph that states an opinion. The fact is that there is a *lot* of history that you may be unaware of and I believe it to be very pertinent to this race.

I'm far from perfect myself. Again, this comes down to one thing. Who do you want making the decisions that affect you as a player? Personally, as a player, I want a guy who knows the TDs, knows the courses, understands the pros and cons of each situation, and can make fair decisions without personal bias. Others may want a guy that just tells you yes or no and that's the way it's going to be. That's why you have a vote.

I'm not saying Tim is a bad guy. I commend him for putting the time and effort into the things that he has done. Again, I just have some concerns about how he will handle tough situations. He's had some situations in the past that he has handled very poorly.
Clue
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby IHearChains » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Clue wrote:
IHearChains wrote:You'd think if your claim had any merit at all, people would stop attending his tournaments. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my point of view is that your claim is nothing more than a feeble pathetic personal attack.

So you admit that you're going to draw a conclusion without any of the facts based upon one paragraph that states an opinion. The fact is that there is a *lot* of history that you may be unaware of and I believe it to be very pertinent to this race.



I didn't draw a conclusion, what I did was ask for more evidence. See highlighted text above. I'm willing to learn, but I am not going to take your word for it, you will have to provide the evidence to support your claims.

Vague rumors of past history and allusions to secret messages? Seriously, that is what you are offering as evidence?

And you want people to believe you will make fair decisions without personal bias?


Clue wrote:I'm not saying Tim is a bad guy. I commend him for putting the time and effort into the things that he has done. Again, I just have some concerns about how he will handle tough situations. He's had some situations in the past that he has handled very poorly.


I have no idea what situations you're talking about. I'd like to see how you've handled similar situations. Have you handled similar situations before? Could you post your accomplishments so that I can compare them to Tim's?
IHearChains
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

Postby The Donator » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:49 pm

This needs to be merged with the other thread.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby Cydisc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm

The Donator wrote:This needs to be merged with the other thread.


I vote the Cubs (Best Team in Baseball) thread.
User avatar
Cydisc
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Ames, IA

Postby irban » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:12 pm

The Donator wrote:This needs to be merged with the other thread.

Really. Wouldn't want to miss any juicy comments.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Clue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

IHearChains wrote:
Clue wrote:
IHearChains wrote:Given the personal attack Clue posted in the other thread, I'd sure like to see Clue's accomplishments, so that I can compare them to Tim's.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. I'm referring to a handful of incidents, not who the guy is. But here's a few things that I have done off the top of my head:

I worked with a handful of people in the Des Moines Disc Golf Club with the installation of several courses including Margo Frankel Woods, Grandview, Ewing, Walnut Ridge, Altoona, Water Works, (Southwoods?? - don't remember), and headed the redesign at Pickard Park in Indianola for the '04 worlds. I hosted the Iowa State Flying Disc Championships in Iowa City including setting up a temporary 18 hole course in City Park (on the other side of the river from Peninsula).

As a player I've been to 3 USDGCs and 3 World Championships (only played mixed doubles in Minnesota). I lived in AZ which was a great experience because it's a completely different culture and there's a lot to learn playing in other areas of the country.

I've been very fortunate to be part of a group from Des Moines that has travelled to Texas every spring for over 15 years where we've played many courses around Dallas, Waco, and Austin, and most notably 3 private properties with incredible ranch courses. I bring this up because this trip was instrumental in bringing many design concepts of John Houck's back to Iowa. John, to my knowledge, is the first person to really stretch disc golf from all par 3 golf into what it is today. Guys like me, Steve Nixt, Rodney Gardner, Steve Kenton (former State Coordinator), and John Latch were all influenced greatly by this and it shows in all of the Des Moines area courses.

I have not held many titles, but I've been a part of the Des Moines Disc Golf Club off and on since day one. As a group we've been very successful and there's been contributions from in upwards of 50 people. I'm just one of them. I have however been president of 3 different businesses that have all done pretty well.



Thanks for the info.

If you want to swing the vote your way by invoking *lots* of secret messages that no one else can see, or past history that is apparently top secret, somebody ought to call your bluff. That's all I was doing, nothing personal. "Handful of incidents" doesn't sound like much of an issue after all.

Good luck in the election, like others I am glad there are two candidates.


Thanks for that. I'm sorry to turn this into a he said she said thing. I'm not telling as much as asking. I'd like to hear from Tim on this issue. If he wants to bring up details then I'll leave that up to him. I also am wearing two hats. I'm a candidate, but I'm also a very active player. I play as many tournaments as anyone so who wins and how that affects the tournament schedule is important to me regardless of whether I was involved in this process.
Clue
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby grodney » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 am

I don't know why Steve gets "Former State Coordinator" status and I don't, but WHATEVER DUDE!!!!

Not to toot my own vuvuzela, but I was the original rigger of the USDGC Qualifier to give myself the best shot!
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Postby Single L » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 am

grodney wrote:Not to toot my own vuvuzela .....

:lol: :lol: ..... I just shot a little coffey on the dash (don't worry the wifes driving) ... Thanks for the Sunday roadtrip laugh!!!!!!
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Golfguy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:57 am

IHearChains wrote:You'd think if your claim had any merit at all, people would stop attending his tournaments. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my point of view is that your claim is nothing more than a feeble pathetic personal attack.


*** Agreed ***

Enforcing PDGA rules can get people in trouble...players don't like getting extra strokes...but, if you tee from the wrong tee it happens. Yes, I thought people should be more disiplined and follow the rules. I still do...I just don't let THEM get me upset as in the past. I had several OB issues at Hickory Hills this year. Yes, the course did not get marked well. We are all VOLUNTEERS as things do not always get done as everyone would like. So, ISSUES arise at tournaments everytime...during my second PDGA event I did get into an arguement with a moron...can't even remember his name ( not a regular player )...last time that ever happened. I learned a lesson...and it was 10 YEARS AGO.

( Should I start bringing up the stuff on Clue that people IM'd me this weekend? ) humm...

Please consider what I HAVE DONE since then:

I have NOTHING to hide. I served on a public park board for five years. I dealt with the public directly and reported directly to the city council.

I served for 6 years as the Pack 100 Cub Master for 45 famlies. I worked directly with 5 to 10 year kids and parents. I even stuck around for a year after my son was completed.

EVERY DISC GOLF CLUB HAS ISSUES...prove that one does not and I will withdraw my candidiancy right now. When YOU get involved with clubs you will get your hands dirty...or your not trying to get anything done.
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
User avatar
Golfguy
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:10 am
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa

Postby Golfguy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 am

...it's going to be a long election, if this crap keeps up.
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
User avatar
Golfguy
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:10 am
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest