Ruling question

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Ruling question

Postby claring » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 pm

I have aquestion about a rule. I read the rule book and have good idea bout what it should be and wanted to know what every one else thoughts are.

After playing a hole a player tells the score keeper a wrong score but some one int he group questions it. After going over the shots they figure out what it should be.
This happens a second time during the same round they go over it and come up with the correct score. This time they stroke the player because it happened once already.

What is the correct ruling and why?
claring

Postby Clue » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:54 pm

This is a little different than the way I heard it. The way I understood it is that he announced a score of 4 and wrote down a 3. This wasn't an issue of miscounting, saying he got 3, and writing down 3. Announcing 4 and writing down 3 is a totally different issue.
Clue

Re: Ruling question

Postby Clue » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 pm

claring wrote:What is the correct ruling and why?

If you deem that he cheated then he should be disqualified and subject to further sanctions.
Clue

Postby claring » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Clue this is a different problem.
The person that said the wrong score was not the one taking score.
claring

Postby Clue » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Don't know if I got a bad story or if this is a separate incident entirely. It's an impossible situation. I don't know if there is a rule for inadvertently being bad at math, but *intentionally* mis-adding would of course be cheating. Hard to prove intent though. I'll have to do some reading.
Clue

Postby claring » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Clue is ti true you are part of the rules committe?

Tiki what is your response?
claring

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:41 pm

claring wrote:Clue is ti true you are part of the rules committe?

Not the rules committee, the disciplinary committee.
Clue

Postby Tiki » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I would think that the player shouldn't have been stroked. To my knowledge, that scenario isn't covered anywhere in the rules.

804.03B covers reviewing the hole on a disputed score, but it doesn't say how many times you can review holes during the round. Theoretically, you could dispute and review every hole on the course.

And like Clue said, if you could somehow prove that the player knowingly gave the wrong score, then they should be DQ'd and you should sick Clue on them.
Tiki

Postby claring » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Tiki, I agree the rule say if there is a dispute the entire group should go over the hole and detemin the correct score if they can not agree on the correct score it says the player gets the benefit of the doubt.

I also agree with the other scenario that happend and that person should have been DQ'd had I know about it before the tournament was over. The only good thing is that person did not win any thing.
claring

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 pm

you should still turn him in on the TD report there Claring. Not having any reprecussions for this just because he didn't cash is about as lame as that hole that you nixed between 13 and 14. :lol:

Although I heard that the guy tried taunting Rusty into calling him a cheater to his face......what a mistake that was. It's gotta be humiliating to get called that with Rusty about .5 inches from your grill.
GDL17921

Postby claring » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:55 pm

GDL4000 wrote:you should still turn him in on the TD report there Claring. Not having any reprecussions for this just because he didn't cash is about as lame as that hole that you nixed between 13 and 14. :lol:

If it was that lame how come one of the pro cards went 4,3,3,3,3 and Joe Wiley pulled off a 5. There was more 2' than 3's but there were quite a few 4's and a couple 5's.

Although I heard that the guy tried taunting Rusty into calling him a cheater to his face......what a mistake that was. It's gotta be humiliating to get called that with Rusty about .5 inches from your grill.

It was noted on the TD report
claring

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm

read my post again retard, I'm talking about the peninsula hole that you elected NOT to use. :lol:
GDL17921

Re: Ruling question

Postby chappyfade » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:13 pm

claring wrote:I have aquestion about a rule. I read the rule book and have good idea bout what it should be and wanted to know what every one else thoughts are.

After playing a hole a player tells the score keeper a wrong score but some one int he group questions it. After going over the shots they figure out what it should be.
This happens a second time during the same round they go over it and come up with the correct score. This time they stroke the player because it happened once already.

What is the correct ruling and why?

Let's assume this is a hypothetical situation, and not something that actually happened. If it was something that actually happened, I'd want to hear both sides of the story before making a ruling. For argument's sake, let's assume that Claring's information above is accurate.

I see nothing in this that either says or implies that the player willfully attempted to cheat here. Maybe the guy is a just a space cadet, and maybe you're playing a course or hole where the OB shots can mount up...we've all had holes like that (I've had more than my share). Rule 804.03B says that if there is a disagreement about the score, the group should review the hole and try and determine the correct score. Rule 804.03E says the group can change a hole score before the score card is turned if the whole group agrees. I see no provision for a penalty in either case, as long as the correct score is turned in. If I'm the player in question, I'd like to know why I'm getting a penalty throw. If you think the player in question is attempting to cheat, that's different, but it doesn't sound like that here, and it also sounds like the correct score was turned in. No penalty can be assessed here in my opinion, unless you want to DQ the guy for cheating, and I don't think you can do so in Claring's hypothetical example above.

Chap

and I am on the Rules Committee :)

P.S. This guy probably does go on my radar for future dealings, however.
chappyfade

Postby Like_Water » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:39 pm

GDL4000 wrote:you should still turn him in on the TD report there Claring. Not having any reprecussions for this just because he didn't cash is about as lame as that hole that you nixed between 13 and 14. :lol:

I agree 100%. These stupid motherfuckers need to be tarred and feathered and not allowed to play sanctioned DG ever again.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Discwrangler wrote:

I agree 100%. These stupid motherfuckers need to be tarred and feathered and not allowed to play sanctioned DG ever again.

Well to do that, we will need a name first. (and im assuming it wasnt Bennett)
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Next

Return to Ask the State Coordinator