USDGC Exemption

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby The Donator » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Back to back weekends is a good idea. Another is use top 2 scores in each half of the fiscal year, although that would not work for this year.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Captain wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:Why not have the biggest IOWA TOURnaments be the qualifiers?

Plank
Graceland
LOD
Challenge
DM Open
RCR

This is why I think one event should decide it. If that event is two-dayer, great. All those events are early in the season. I think you want the player who is playing the best golf NOW(August)

Some of them are, but the challenge, DM open and RCR were all late season tournaments last year.

Who performs overall in the big tournaments, on the big courses, in the tournaments that have the highest caliber players would yield the top prospect left without an invitation.

Seriously, if you used these events, and waited until all the regional qualifiers were done, you'd have the top prospect. Plus it might actually get Clay to play more than 3 events next year. :wink:

I guess the first question is, TJ, don't YOU want to go? It's YOUR spot.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Tempting...but I think I'll just sell it to the highest bidder or whomever can guarantee me the highest paying job.
Tiki

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Tiki wrote:Tempting...but I think I'll just sell it to the highest bidder or whomever can guarantee me the highest paying job.

Dude, your from Iowa, not Illinois.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby AO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:17 pm

Captain wrote:
AO wrote: 2 in Des Moines, 1 Council Bluffs, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Lamoni, Hamilton/Keokuk, Osky-Ottumwa, and maybe Belle Plain or Madrid.

What, no IC?????

Discwrangler wrote:Why not have the biggest IOWA TOURnaments be the qualifiers?

Plank
Graceland
LOD
Challenge
DM Open
RCR

All those events are early in the season. I think you want the player who is playing the best golf NOW(August), not who played the best in April. This is why I think one event should decide it. If that event is two-dayer, great.

Shane said before the tour is changing. As for IC, who is running it? Pretty sure Frog said he isn't. How bout we get something going at the ball golf course like you did this fall.
AO

Postby Clue » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:14 pm

There are several answers to consider, but there are some even better questions.

Do you want to consider making Adv players eligible? The beauty of Iowa Games as the qualifier is that anyone could afford to try and all of the Adv players could play in the same division in the same layout as the Pro players.

Do you want the best player, or the best player for that type of tournament? Certain players are suited better for certain courses. Tanner's game is obviously well suited for the USDGC, whereas AO has struggled down there. If the qualifier predominantly uses pitch and putt courses (which means most courses in Iowa) then you might not get the best player suited for that tournament. Tyler and Grant are Adv players that are going to beat me pretty regularly on shorter courses, but get me down to Ozark Mountain or Winthrop Gold and I'll still be able to show these young punks a thing or two.

There are a lot of variables to consider. I just hope whatever TJ decides will be supported. His decision may not suit everybody. Tough. Make it work for you or work hard at qualifying another way.
Clue

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 am

Clue wrote:There are several answers to consider, but there are some even better questions.

Do you want to consider making Adv players eligible? You would. The beauty of Iowa Games as the qualifier is that anyone could afford to try and all of the Adv players could play in the same division in the same layout as the Pro players.I disagree. I look at it more like being able to qualify for USDGC is a priveledge for playing in the Open Division.

Do you want the best player, or the best player for that type of tournament? Certain players are suited better for certain courses. Tanner's game is obviously well suited for the USDGC, whereas AO has struggled down there. If the qualifier predominantly uses pitch and putt courses (which means most courses in Iowa)I don't think Boone is a pitch and Putt, maybe that's just me. then you might not get the best player suited for that tournament. Tyler and Grant are Adv players that are going to beat me pretty regularly on all courses, but get me down to Ozark Mountain or Winthrop Gold and I'll still be able to show these young punks a thing or twoyou're probably right with that statement.

There are a lot of variables to consider. I just hope whatever TJ decides will be supported. His decision may not suit everybody that's for sure. Tough. Make it work for you or work hard at qualifying another way.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 pm

I think it should go to the leading poster on iowadg.com forums.
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:08 pm

GDL4000 wrote:I think it should go to the leading poster on iowadg.com forums.
yeah but uve been slackin for awhile
SARG27044

Postby chappyfade » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:05 pm

GDL4000 wrote:I think it should go to the leading poster on iowadg.com forums.

Nah, that person gets the Iowa exemption to here
chappyfade

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:31 pm

holy crap, is it unfair to call that 'winner' a text whore yet? LMAO
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Captain » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 am

AO wrote: As for IC, who is running it? How bout we get something going at the ball golf course like you did this fall.

I do plan on running AT LEAST one event in IC this year. I am thinking of another version of Weekend @ the Res. Two events, one weekend. Turkey and Sugar. This will give us a chance to feature the multiple basket locations at each course.

As for the ball course event............

This will def happen, but not until later in the year (Oct prob). I am also going to ask some of the other ball golf courses in the area if they are interested. If any of you have ever played Amana, it would make the course at the Elk's look small and easy.

I'm also thinking of doing entries limited to MPO and FPO only, until the day of the event. At least at the Elk's, we can only fit 45 golfers. I think that three rounds of 12 at the Elk's would work. Prob only 18 @ Amana ( I don't know if they would let go around again without repaying). Could be an awesome weekend.

A couple of pics from golf at the Elk's this year:

Steve Calloway on 4B

Kate on #7 (looks like someone is OB)

Captain

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:12 am

I stayed at one of the townhomes on the Amana course in August for a baseball tournament. Didn't get to play the course, but walked around it a little bit. From what I saw the course is sweet. Guys that stayed next to us come form Chicago one weekend every year just to play the course. Some were saying it is one of Iowa's best kept secrets. Many don't even know about it.

To have a DG tournament there would be sick. One thing to consider. They do have weekend packages available (the guys from Chi-town did this). You get the townhome for 2 nights (Friday & Saturday) and unlimited golf for Saturday and Sunday. My baseball coach was trying to get a bunch of guys to do this one weekend. The way he figured it was with eight guys a townhome (the townhomes are sweet) it would be like $150 a person for the weekend. There were 7 of us that stayed comfortably one night and it ended up being $55 a person, I think.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Re: USDGC Exemption

Postby Clue » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:02 pm

Tiki wrote:1.) The 2009 Iowa Tour winner would get the exemption for the 2010 USDGC.

I think people could get on board with this if they understood it better. 1st, what would happen for 2009, and 2nd, how is the tour scoring going to work this year?
Clue

Postby shane » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:19 pm

The tour scoring will work like this if you take
1st = 100 points
2nd= 90
3rd= 80
4th= 70
5th= 60
For playing and not finishing in the top 5 you get 25 points
The most any player can get at any tourney is 100 points
the lowest being 25. It does not matter how many people are in any one tourney. I'm shooting for 12 tournies to be used as qualifiers and your best seven will count for the final scoring.
If Climo shows up and takes first and Olsen takes second he gets 80 points and no one will get first (unless Climo has a tag). If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator