USDGC Exemption

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
SARG27044 wrote: maybe have a poll of the best discer's and let their peers decide?

You're just saying this so Grant could go down :lol:
haha, shit, id caddy for him just to experience it first hand
SARG27044

Postby The Donator » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 pm

harryPutter wrote:It doesn't have to be one thing that awards a player. How about a point system not just based on tournament play but:

1. PDGA Rating
2. Volunteer Work
3. Money Raised for the sport
4. Camaraderie
5. Composure during play
6. Friendship
7. Professionalism
8. Directing Tournies (TD)
9. Amount of Iowa Tournies played and where they placed
10. etc., etc.
And these could be judged through a recommendation process. For example: if someone notices another player showing extraordinary professionalism during a tournament then they tell the TD and it gets recorded. Or better yet, have it setup on the web as a template form for recommendation.

Well i got 4 thru 6 locked up.

As for #8 isnt there already a spot for that?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Clue » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:27 pm

The Donator wrote:
harryPutter wrote:It doesn't have to be one thing that awards a player. How about a point system not just based on tournament play but:

1. PDGA Rating
2. Volunteer Work
3. Money Raised for the sport
4. Donations to Pro Purses
5. Contributions to Message Boards
6. Rainbow Party Support
7. Professionalism
8. Directing Tournies (TD)
9. Amount of Iowa Tournies played and where they placed
10. etc., etc.
And these could be judged through a recommendation process. For example: if someone notices another player showing extraordinary professionalism during a tournament then they tell the TD and it gets recorded. Or better yet, have it setup on the web as a template form for recommendation.

Well i got 4 thru 6 locked up.

As for #8 isnt there already a spot for that?
Clue

Postby claya » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Of those two options I'd go with #2. Personally I'd rather just see one event decide it, simple and effective.
claya

Postby Sprague » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Clue you are spot on as always - it should be an average of sorts *(quality over quantity with a minimum number of events) A 1 day event is not IMO the best way to decide who should represent and nor should be based on volunteerism - that should be a separate acknowledgment for that individual

*(it is afterall the US Open of Disc Golf ) As Clue said a player can go and experience this event without being qualified.

Iowa Tour as the qualifier is a great idea (although I like the idea of a non-calendar year ) The Iowa Tour should be a 2 part series (consider winter as the break)- Sep thru Aug - that way a player has demonstrated commitment and quality of play and we don't loose the most important part of our season - also players are warmed up by Sep and get to have that represented in the decision.

Hope some of that makes sense, cause I'm not retyping or checking for brain cells at this point (I think I was able to rub at least 2 together -Clue :lol: )
Sprague

Postby AO » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
Captain wrote: Then your sending the player who played the most events. If you want the exemption, you would have to play most of the Iowa Tour events.

Simply because a lot of the IA Tour events took place after August this year.

That's only if the same tournies are included in the tour next season. I would like to see the tour be 10-12 tournaments. 2 in Des Moines, 1 Council Bluffs, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Lamoni, Hamilton/Keokuk, Osky-Ottumwa, and maybe Belle Plain or Madrid.
AO

Postby AO » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:00 pm

claya wrote: Personally I'd rather just see one event decide it, simple and effective.

This has seemed to work out well but I would like to see the Challenge or LOD used as the qualifyer then. Two of the best tournies in the state and they tend to draw the most Iowa disc golfers
AO

Postby Like_Water » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Why not have the biggest IOWA TOURnaments be the qualifiers?

Plank
Graceland
LOD
Challenge
DM Open
RCR

Option 2?

If there's not one already, there should be an exemption for the biggest EDGE contributor, we could strive to be that with our tour, awarding the spot to whoever the tour director or SC determine.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 am

AO wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:
Captain wrote: Then your sending the player who played the most events. If you want the exemption, you would have to play most of the Iowa Tour events.

Simply because a lot of the IA Tour events took place after August this year.

That's only if the same tournies are included in the tour next season. I would like to see the tour be 10-12 tournaments. 2 in Des Moines, 1 Council Bluffs, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Lamoni, Hamilton/Keokuk, Osky-Ottumwa, and maybe Belle Plain or Madrid.

That's a good list. I would like to see Newfax (Newton/ Colfax) added to that (if it happens), Iowa City?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 am

yeah clue and sprague are right on, it shouldnt go to the player who had one hot day, rather to the player who showed they can do it week in and week out
SARG27044

Postby shane » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09 am

These are all great ideas and I like the fact that everyone is on here bouncing the stuff off of each other. I will post more about the tour when I have a chance. I will say this though, the schedule is being worked out right now and the points have changed I will fill in details shortly.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 am

shane wrote:These are all great ideas and I like the fact that everyone is on here bouncing the stuff off of each other. I will post more about the tour when I have a chance. I will say this though, the schedule is being worked out right now and the points have changed I will fill in details shortly.

Thanks Shane. As always, looking forward to the new and improved IA Tour.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:02 pm

Just my input...and Im not from Iowa, so I wont be getting it anyways.

I think its important enough that one day shouldnt decide it.

I dont think it should have anything to do with EDGE contributions or how nice the player is to others. Im not saying send a shithead, unless that shithead earned it.

I like the idea of using IA Tour events and points earned towards it as it does make the tour more appealing, even the events that some may skip will draw a larger field. If your about promoting disc golf in Iowa, there isnt many better options than the tour. Perhaps only focusing on the higher rated tourneys of the tour? Like only B-Tiers or higher count towards the exemption points. This is just feeding the PDGA machine a little more, but could help in the selection process.

Its something different. If it doesnt work out, go back to the way it was before. Big deal.

I also dont agree with TD exemptions. Sorry, your just watering down the field at the supposed "greatest tourney", or rather the greatest Innova tourney. I look at them like Michelle Wie.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Chase20460 wrote:
I also dont agree with TD exemptions. Sorry, your just watering down the field at the supposed "greatest tourney", or rather the greatest Innova tourney. I look at them like Michelle Wie.

Yeah, I emailed Harold about the extra exemptions and really got shot down. He feels 100 top players is enough. I disagree but it's not my tournament.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Captain » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:56 pm

AO wrote: 2 in Des Moines, 1 Council Bluffs, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Lamoni, Hamilton/Keokuk, Osky-Ottumwa, and maybe Belle Plain or Madrid.

What, no IC?????

Discwrangler wrote:Why not have the biggest IOWA TOURnaments be the qualifiers?

Plank
Graceland
LOD
Challenge
DM Open
RCR

All those events are early in the season. I think you want the player who is playing the best golf NOW(August), not who played the best in April. This is why I think one event should decide it. If that event is two-dayer, great.

Option #1500051

Back to back weekend events at different locations; combined score from both weekends wins.
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator