Possible Carlisle course

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks buddy.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 am

ghstinshll wrote:I'm sure you love your life of playing for cash, Some day when you're world champ

I'm sorry, I can't stop snickering about this comment. Thanks for the good read guys. Very entertainting. And I everyone has brought up excellent points.

In my opinion. I'm in agreement with Tyler, put a nine hole course in your back yard for all I care. It's a waste of money and time in my opinion, but if it makes you and others happy, and you make new freinds along the way, it's definately well worth it. Obviously safety comes first, and it only takes one incident to cause a big rucous. However, I have played several high traffic areas (Northwestway Park in Indianapolis by far the worst) with a lot of patience and caution you can be safe. This ruins the experience, but can be done. I have never been to the Norwalk course, nor to be honest, from reviews that I have heard, and given the proximity, don't have much of a desire to. But I'll tell you this, if I moved to Norwalk, you would probably see me making regular stops there, for conveniance's sake.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby irban » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 am

ghstinshll wrote: And apparently you don't give tips to other players & guide them in their advancement.

Ummm, I think this is probably a good thing :P
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Sprague » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:37 am

ghstinshll wrote:I guess we have differing views of the sport then. I am not an elitist who thinks that PK or EW are the Only kind of course that should be created.

Nobody has really suggested this, actually the opposite. The idea is not to build a course bigger than it's venue. If 6 nice recreational holes are possible at North Park do that, don't force 9 for 9's sake. Take all of this input and use it wisely - it will help you in the long run.

And please stop with the dividing lines! Dan is not an elitist, if you call anyone elitists on this forum, than you have to throw Des and Jay under the bus as well, don't stop there - me, Steffen, Harper, Clue, Kenton, Gmoney, Claring, Fausch, etc...we are all disc golfers first and foremost. The Pros most of the time have been around the longest, and some Ams too like Fausch. But it's not us and them, it's US! some of us just shoot better scores sometimes, but we all love the game the same.

Jon Latch designed "The PETE" this is a very nice course and Jon didn't try to do too much, but delivered on safety, fun, and variety (for open type course)
Jon is a great example of a pro that learned by listening and through his travels and experience in building courses. He has matured as a designer over the years by being receptive to input.

Dan you are an asshole...I think it's great. You my friend are one of the fine spices on the rack!
Sprague

Postby The Donator » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:45 am

JFC i cant stop laughing from Dan's post LOLLLLLL...oh my...

Anytime im having a down day I know I can always look at this thread to give me a good laugh. POTY Dan.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:00 am

who are u Dan to say that the people in Carlisle have to drive 15 minutes to play D.G.? Shouldnt everyone that plays have the right to walk across the street to play a couple holes? see most of us have full time jobs and with the sun setting at 430 now, we dont have time to drive across town to play 18 holes. not all of us can just up and decide to travel to ames in the middle of the week to play D.G. :roll: Yes there is a safety factor involved but all u have to do is yell heads up or go over and tell people that u are throwing here and most will move outta the way, and id say about 80% of them will stay and watch u throw and ask about how to get involved, or how u play the game, which encourages growth. if theres a little kid in the way, hand the Chucker a mini and point him at a different basket and he will be hooked for life
SARG27044

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:19 am

Tyler, you're not seeing the bigger picture. I'm not drunk anymore so I'm really not too interested in explaining either.

If you want to walk across the street and play frisbee at any park regardless of consequences and perception, more power to you. It falls completely in line with Disc Golf's long history of short-term solutions that create long-term problems, so I understand why you think that way. Really, it takes more than it gives though, trust me on that. I drive at least 15 minutes to every course, sometimes more. If you ever hit up Virginia or Carolina or California or Colorado or pretty much any other place in the world, you'd realize how miniscule of an issue that is. Me? I prefer to make as much use of the great courses we have that people have put thousands of hours into planning and maintaining. Those are the hubs for meeting, learning, and growing.

You're smart enough to figure these things out and you're good enough to be influential in the future. I hope you consider that when giving your endorsement to what are potentially big issues for the community.

In closing, I'm glad it was entertaining for some, amidst all the controversy I really am trying to make a point. Take it for what it's worth.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:32 am

10up wrote: I hope you consider that when giving your endorsement to the open division and to what are potentially big issues for the community.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby irban » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 am

10up wrote:I'm not drunk anymore so I'm really not too interested in explaining either.

You're really not too interesting when you're not drunk either. :P

Aaaaah, I got a million of em'!
Last edited by irban on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:18 pm

but this is not about U! and it will never be, let the city of carlisle do the deciding on what they want for there city. and this is iowa not any other state, we are the dg capitol of the world we dont want to be like any other state. i dont see how it can take any thing away from the sport. if the course dosent work out then pull the baskets and put them else where, its not gonna cost U anything, so dont worry. if u dont support the course then dont go. simple. im not trying to prove that ur an asshole, it just comes out that way :lol:
SARG27044

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 pm

I understand that.

I guess my stance is most easily explained this way.

I am absolutely in support of having as many courses as close to me as possible. But there has to be criteria.

Take for example; Greenwood Park. The closest existing course to me is Grandview which is about a 15 to 20 minute drive. Naturally when Greenwood (being less than 5 minutes) started rolling I was at the forefront of making it happen. Sprague and I spent 6-8 hours a day, everyday, for two weeks planning, cleaning, and building what I think was unanimously accepted as a great course. Then it fell through. A horrible situation, yes. So do we go four blocks down the road to Witmer Park and try to do it all over again? No, because it isn't plausible. Why? Because Grandview is 15-20 minutes away.

I didn't say I wanted Des Moines like every other place. I said Des Moines is already lightyears ahead of every other place. That being said, the focus no longer needs to be on quantity. We have that statistic dominated by a mile already. The focus should be on quality. In all honesty, I think it's great (and I am being serious) that there are people like Ghost in the whatever who have the motivation to get things done. I certainly don't anymore. I just think that without proper direction it does more harm than good. It's like giving a retard a hammer and a box of nails. Something is gonna happen, but it probably isn't what needs to be done.

With that, I feel I've made my point sufficiently enough and will now retreat back to my apathetic cyniscm until I get another bottle of Gin.
10up

Postby The Donator » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Lol, Tang 10 or Bombay, please tell me you dont settle for anything less. need to know.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Tang 10, Vesuvious Lime, Cheap tonic, and some pine needles to chew.
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:23 pm

10up wrote: That being said, the focus no longer needs to be on quantity. We have that statistic dominated by a mile already. The focus should be on quality.

Very nicely put and couldn't agree with you more. But why can't we have both. It's not like the time and efforts put forth by the select few at the Norwalk course took away from improving our already prestigious courses in the DSM Metro area. Unless I missed something I don't think any money was withdrawn from the DSM Club to help fund the Norwalk Course.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Single L » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 pm

I prefer Bombay, not big Tang 10 fan, but will drink it over any swill in the well if they don't have Bombay.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator