Possible Carlisle course

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby johnemus » Fri May 22, 2009 1:39 pm

This weekend I am going to try to get ahold of someone from the park and rec dept or the city council or whichever and try to find out if they are still interested in doing this. If they are, I am going to work with them and try and find a date, maybe a saturday, probably not though since there are tournaments every weekend, where we can hold a mini here in carlisle at the potential course. We would need 9 temporary baskets and we could set up the course how myself, and jon latch imagined it would be to get a read on whether the course will work or not. In my opinion, this would be the smartest thing to do. If the course would work, the proceeds from the mini would go towards the funding from the course, if not, they get paid back to the winner.
johnemus

Postby Single L » Fri May 22, 2009 1:53 pm

johnemus wrote:This weekend I am going to try to get ahold of someone from the park and rec dept or the city council or whichever and try to find out if they are still interested in doing this.

I like your motivation, but good luck getting a hold of City officials on a weekend, let alone a Holiday weekend.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby johnemus » Fri May 22, 2009 4:35 pm

good point. I'll get on that next week. was just thinkng it was just another friday haha. ill keep the board updated on what i find out
johnemus

Postby johnemus » Thu May 28, 2009 8:33 am

Just thought I would give an update:

Spoke with the mayor yesterday. We chatted a bit about the disc golf course. She said it was something she would still push for if I wanted to pursue it. She also said that North Park could be a short-term placement of the course, as the baseball fields at South Park will eventually move to an athletic complex and then that whole park would be open. Could make a potentially challenging 9 hole or a rec 18 hole course. I thought that was awesome. She said to check with Neil Ruddy once more and make sure he is still alright with it. She also thought the temporary basket idea was a good idea to gauge both the feasibility and interest of the course.
johnemus

Postby Single L » Thu May 28, 2009 8:44 am

johnemus wrote:the baseball fields at South Park will eventually move to an athletic complex and then that whole park would be open. Could make a potentially challenging 9 hole or a rec 18 hole course.

First off removing a baseball field in no way gives you enough room for an 18 hole course. Instead of cramming a little course into a little park you should really exhaust all options first. How long until the baseball field moves and where is it moving to? This may be a good opportunity to throw out the idea of having the DG course be incorporated into the athletic complex. Many times there is a wooded area or tree lined ravine or something of the sorts near theses complexes that allow a much better course ............ ala Pickard
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby johnemus » Thu May 28, 2009 9:16 am

The park that I am talking about contains three baseball fields and a concession stand. not just one field. its a pretty spacious park. it is a great idea about incorporating it into the athletic complex. the area i think they want to do that in however wont yield very good results at all for a disc golf course. its all wide open and not hardly any trees. thats the last i knew. they could have changed the location, I'm really not sure. I will speak with Neil, the park and rec head, and go from there. thanks for the input.
johnemus

Postby GDL17921 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 am

johnemus wrote:the area i think they want to do that in however wont yield very good results at all for a disc golf course. its all wide open and not hardly any trees.

so the three baseball fields area you're proposing isn't "all wide open and not hardly any trees"?
GDL17921

Postby johnemus » Thu May 28, 2009 12:54 pm

i know that sounded dumb. but there's a few decently wooded areas around them... but where they wanna put the athletic complex is like in the middle of a corn field. a little different
johnemus

Postby GDL17921 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:26 pm

right on. Let me or someone from the DSM club know if you want someone to take a look.
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Thu May 28, 2009 3:25 pm

that park would wind up being a better 9 hole course w/o the baseball fields. I'm not sure it'll fit 18. You'll challenge people (even the rec players) w/ it being a 9 in South Park.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby johnemus » Thu May 28, 2009 4:34 pm

thats what i was kinda thinking jason. it will be years down the line, im afraid. they have been working on finding land for the athletic complex for a good 3-4 years now at least.

gdl, it will be awhile til we figure it all out, but i will let you know. i think if the park and rec still wants the course. the first thing to do is hold a mini at north park just to see if it would work. its a far better looking area than south park is. after that, we will develop a better plan of attack
johnemus

Postby AO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Is the course going in?
AO

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:25 pm

In my mind it's not. There hasn't been any progress, and those who were interested aren't working on it currently, so i doubt it.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Single L » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:33 pm

I work with a guy who is on the Carlisle Parks and Rec Board ..... sounds like it won't be happening. It's not a suitable park for DG and would cause more problems than anything.
Single L

Previous

Return to Ask the State Coordinator