Thoughts about the park itself

Great Course

Postby RedBird88 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:23 pm

I got a chance to play this course today and definately recommend it to everyone! The park is beautiful and very well maintained, not to mention the overviews of the river from the park. The course incorporates a good mix of elevation changes, open spaces and wooded holes. Lots of pins tucked into the woods with fast greens. From the shorts there are plenty of birdie and ace runs, and from the longs your going to need more than just the traditional right handed hyzer. Big thanks to K.C. and all the others who helped get this course in the ground. If you havent played it yet it's worth the drive to try it out!

Course Pictures
RedBird88

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:02 pm

I got a chance to play most of the course Saturday. We didn't finish due to outside forces not allowing us the time we were going to require to finish, so I apologize for not being able to fully assess the course. I agree that it is a beautiful park. I really like the Titan baskets too.

It seemed like almost every hole we played is a blind shot, which made for a very long round due to having to walk up and survey the hole before throwing. Not a bad thing, just takes time--more than I had.

The current setup seems a bit unbalanced, it heavily favors the lefty, there are too many left to right shots, IMO (and I am a lefty). That's all I'll say about that, no bitchin' from the lefty, it's a lefty dream course. Let me know when there's a tourney there, Beeman, Greenleaf, and I will come mop up.

I'm confused about one part of the course----there appears to be an extra hole or something on the front nine, between 8 and 9. KC, hole 11 (that I thought was hole 2 at first) was the 12th hole we played. How is this?

I liked hole 4, but I think that the champ tee is too far right. The slope of the hill on the right that forms the downhill slope/bowl is right in front of the tee, making it almost impossible to throw a low laser under the low canopy. If the intention was to take away that shot, mission accomplished.

I like the course, I'll be back to give a full review once it's done. Hopefully your projects don't get put on the back burner too long. I've seen that happen all too often when baskets are put in before all the work is done.

Just a couple Noteables:

1. I don't like where the posts (for tee signs, I assume) are, and I assume that disc golfers didn't have much to do with that.

2. The partial teepad on 5 is not level, and I suspect it's because it's built up on that little knoll, and it's already settling/tilting left to right. You need a better foundation or retaining wall like you're doing over on hole three for that tee, or it'll be all crooked in no time. I recommend scrapping what you've done on that one so far, and do it right.

3. I didn't see the course before the mowing started for the course, but it looks great and is very fair.

4. Some kind of temporary signage between holes (1 to 2 especially) would be awesome till you get the tee signs. As we were quitting on hole 13 or 14, somebody was coming up the hill towards hole 18, asking where hole 8 was....obviously we weren't the only ones to think that hole 11 was hole 2.

Great job to everybody involved in getting that course in! Can't wait to play it again. It's a monster!
GDL17921

Postby K.C. » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Jay, thanks for the critique. When I get a chance to spend a little time, I'd like to offer my thoughts on yours, but I really appreciate the input.

But, I'm sending an attachment to Mike right now with a proof for the signs that should be done shortly. Just thought I'd give what little input I can with the time I have right now.

Hope you enjoy the signs...I definately do.[/img]
K.C.

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:06 pm

If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby ahagglun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:55 pm

Signs look great. And obviously they're not changing now, but I still had a couple of concerns.

#1: They don't seem newbie-friendly. I forsee people looking at the signs and saying, "huh?" The pro and amateur tees are separately and consistently marked, but I'm not sure people will know which one they're actually standing on from looking at the sign. In other words, what I think is missing is a "You are here" dot.

#2: The orientation of the signs isn't always straight ahead. Hole one for example; If you're at the tee and throwing straight ahead, you're actually pointing up and left on the map. On 2, throwing straight ahead is up and to the right on the map. The signs rely on people to have excellent spatial reasoning skills, and there are many out there for whom this is an invalid assumption =-)

#3: Dots are trees, letters are pins. Once you figure that out, you're good. But for the beginner, that may not be so obvious.

Maybe you guys already have ways around these issues, and I'll concede that if this is the most I have to complain about, then things are going pretty well. The signs DO look great and they'll definitely class up the joint. I just don't know how well they'll work for navigation.
ahagglun

Postby IowaCharlie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:54 pm

When and where will maps of the course and scorecards for the course be available? I recently moved to Clinton, and am really interested in playing the course, but I am a little intimidated by the size of Eagle Point.
IowaCharlie

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Ennig wrote:When and where will maps of the course and scorecards for the course be available? I recently moved to Clinton, and am really interested in playing the course, but I am a little intimidated by the size of Eagle Point.

don't be intimidated. The cool thing about it being so big, is that the disc golf if pretty secluded, you won't see anybody else doing anything else in that area of the park.

As you drive into the park, take the one way (I think it's 1way) down past the flowers that say Eagle Point, and continue and you'll pass a couple nice lookout areas, the second one has brand spankin' new bathrooms right by the parking lot---go through that, and continue to the very next area to park and park there. The first tee is right up against the shule line that's on the right side of your car as you drive into that parking lot. After hole 1, you might be inclined to play the next hole (tee) that you see, but don't. That's hole 11 or 12. After hole 1, go through the little truck sized tunnel through the brush and around to the left is hole 2's tee. After 2, continue along the shule line that 2's basket is in, and you'll see hole three's teepad tucked in the shule line, currently under construction. After that, the flow is pretty self-explanatory. Enjoy.
GDL17921

Postby K.C. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I agree that it is a beautiful park.
Yeah, probably my favorite thing about that place.

I really like the Titan baskets too.
I'm glad. Its just something different than the DGA baskets that are everywhere. (Nothing wrong with them, of course, but something different can't hurt.) I do think they catch better than any basket I've used....but I rarely ever hit chains, so someone else's opinion might be better.

It seemed like almost every hole we played is a blind shot, which made for a very long round due to having to walk up and survey the hole before throwing. Not a bad thing, just takes time--more than I had.
I started noticing this right away when we were all out there originally. The blind shot thing always seems intimidating at first, but in the end...it makes for a better course. Your first round out there might be tougher, but then you know where you're going. To make most of the shots out there visible...you'd probably be eliminating some of the wonderful terrain. I.e.: hills, tree lines, shul, etc.

The current setup seems a bit unbalanced, it heavily favors the lefty, there are too many left to right shots, IMO (and I am a lefty). That's all I'll say about that, no bitchin' from the lefty, it's a lefty dream course. Let me know when there's a tourney there, Beeman, Greenleaf, and I will come mop up.
Yeah...it is unbalanced. And, honestly...probably more on purpose than not. Righty hyzers are everywhere, and although it favors my (and most people's) skills...it doesn't make you throw something out of the ordinary. I much prefer making someone throw something they don't feel comfortable with....and yeah, thats usually an ani. WAY less lefties out there than righties.
Now, that being said...there are alternate positions, and some of those holes will change when moved. But...it will always favor a left handed/flick thrower.

I'm confused about one part of the course----there appears to be an extra hole or something on the front nine, between 8 and 9. KC, hole 11 (that I thought was hole 2 at first) was the 12th hole we played. How is this?
Because you played it wrong. haw haw. The teepad you found was 8's short pin (about 150 ft. in front/left of where you threw, correct?). Not a big deal. Although I'm wondering what basket you threw to twice...

I liked hole 4, but I think that the champ tee is too far right. The slope of the hill on the right that forms the downhill slope/bowl is right in front of the tee, making it almost impossible to throw a low laser under the low canopy. If the intention was to take away that shot, mission accomplished.
Exactly. We kept going until you had to throw the exact low shot to get that right. Sorry....but, you know how Mr. Eng can be. (and I agreed)

I like the course, I'll be back to give a full review once it's done. Hopefully your projects don't get put on the back burner too long. I've seen that happen all too often when baskets are put in before all the work is done.

Just a couple Noteables:

1. I don't like where the posts (for tee signs, I assume) are, and I assume that disc golfers didn't have much to do with that.
Actually, besides one or two...I told him exactly where to put them. Which I'm quite curious why you don't like them. I tried to keep them all on the left hand side (if possible) about 7 feet away from the front of the pad. I didn't think anyone could really have a problem with that. Now, that being said. I've got to pour 9 more in a couple weeks. Where would be better?

2. The partial teepad on 5 is not level, and I suspect it's because it's built up on that little knoll, and it's already settling/tilting left to right. You need a better foundation or retaining wall like you're doing over on hole three for that tee, or it'll be all crooked in no time. I recommend scrapping what you've done on that one so far, and do it right.
Without seeing it, I imagined it would happen. (You should have seen it before we made him re-dig it.) I'll take a look and see what needs to be done. The long teepad for that one is going to need to be done anyway...so we'll look at it again in the fall.

3. I didn't see the course before the mowing started for the course, but it looks great and is very fair.
Holy crap, yes. The park has been very generous with their time allotment to mowing. They did more than i expected in some places, and not as much as I was hoping in others. There are a couple pin placements that almost become non-existant if mowing isn't happening more often. But....I'm just hopin' a local takes over that course maintenance stuff.

4. Some kind of temporary signage between holes (1 to 2 especially) would be awesome till you get the tee signs. As we were quitting on hole 13 or 14, somebody was coming up the hill towards hole 18, asking where hole 8 was....obviously we weren't the only ones to think that hole 11 was hole 2.
I've still got money in the budget for directional signs. They are coming. I'm taking time away from that place, and trying to gather a second wind to get back there again in the fall. I'm just sick of that place. But, yes...there will be signs up soon, and then we'll get to the directional signs as well.

Great job to everybody involved in getting that course in! Can't wait to play it again. It's a monster!
Again, glad you got to play it, and thanks for your input.
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Signs look great. And obviously they're not changing now, but I still had a couple of concerns.

#1: They don't seem newbie-friendly. I forsee people looking at the signs and saying, "huh?" The pro and amateur tees are separately and consistently marked, but I'm not sure people will know which one they're actually standing on from looking at the sign. In other words, what I think is missing is a "You are here" dot.
--It probably won't happen. But, the city is putting in a kiosk (probably very soon) that we're going to put up rules, large scale course map, a KEY for the "orientationally challenged" haw haw. Sorry, just kidding. But, every hole will have a marker as to which location the basket is in, and then you'll just have to figure out what teepad you're on. (If you're reading the sign...you're on the long.)

#2: The orientation of the signs isn't always straight ahead. Hole one for example; If you're at the tee and throwing straight ahead, you're actually pointing up and left on the map. On 2, throwing straight ahead is up and to the right on the map. The signs rely on people to have excellent spatial reasoning skills, and there are many out there for whom this is an invalid assumption =-)
--Sorry, I thought Doug did a great job of interpretting them in the space allotted to him. You gotta remember, the bit he uses to engrave the signs is pretty large, so he only has so fine of an area to cut out at a time. So he does the best he can.

#3: Dots are trees, letters are pins. Once you figure that out, you're good. But for the beginner, that may not be so obvious.
The beginners will be able to read the sign and see that there is a closer tee pad, and the closer tee pads give most of the baskets visible lines.
K.C.

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:35 pm

I think tee signs should always be off to the sidebehind the tee, not even with the front of them. At least, like you said, there's no danger of hitting your hand on them or anything.

On hole one for example, I'd have put the sign behind, and on the right side of the tee, right on the shule line, out of the way, and one less item for them to mow around.
GDL17921

Postby K.C. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Ennig wrote:When and where will maps of the course and scorecards for the course be available? I recently moved to Clinton, and am really interested in playing the course, but I am a little intimidated by the size of Eagle Point.

Please don't be intimidated by the course's size. The long teepads provide alot of challenge for the advanced/pro level player. But, the short teepads are great for beginners/recs/intermediate players. They're not all "easy", but for the most part...they are all conceivably 2-able with the right throws. I liked putting them in AFTER the longs were in, cuz it gave us the liberty of making it a get-people-hooked kind of course.
K.C.

Postby RedBird88 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Here's the course page for Eagle Point. You can print both a map and a scorecard with distances. Enjoy the course!

Eagle Point Course Page
RedBird88

Postby Big Bob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Anyone know when the course signs will be done? Also need to get more peeps out there playing...Been out there over a dozen times and never seen anyone yet...If nothin else need to get out there and play hole #8 from the long, pretty tough to make in 3.
Big Bob

Postby K.C. » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:10 pm

I just picked up the finished signs last night. I don't plan on going up there before the end of October (or once all the foliage is gone), but once I do get up there, we'll put up the remaining tee posts, put the signs in, and finish hole 17.

Once the course is actually "finished", I'll probably throw something together (even if a small gig) just to show the city of Clinton some appreciation for their money/patience/effort.

We'll do some kind of relaxed event so people can get in their competitive kicks and see the course for (probably) the first time.

It'll be a late season thing, though, so who knows how many will want to make it...but we'll try to do something. My disc golf ties are dwindling, and my effort toward the sport has been pretty null since this project, but I'd like to at least fulfill those obligations.

Hope you (and those that are playing it) are enjoying the course. The shorts are great and challenging with a wholotta deuces. The longs can be frustrating, but can test your game. Check it out again in about a month, I would assume my lazy a55 will have been out there by then.
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Oh yeah...the signs are stellar! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
K.C.

PreviousNext

Return to Clinton - Eagle Point Park