The Force

All Discraft product discussion

Postby irban » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:41 am

porkchop wrote:And then he went back down the chart with this......
The Donator wrote:And seriously are any of these new drivers any different from any previous ones? Whats the diff between a destroyer/wraith/beast/starfire/etc? THeyre all the Chuckin same.....

For some arms, no matter how hard you throw, they all go out about 150 and dive left. :P

There has definitely been progress. For me, the Orc was a boost over the T-bird, and the Wraith soon replaced my Orc. But there is a lot of overlap, and every mold offers something to some people and not to others. I love all of the variety, but can't imagine trying everything. It's exciting though, when you find something that helps you step up your game.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby KePP » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:14 am

irban wrote:There has definitely been progress. For me, the Orc was a boost over the T-bird, and the Wraith soon replaced my Orc. But there is a lot of overlap, and every mold offers something to some people and not to others.

Agreed, I went through the exact same progression. Teebird was the disc of choice for many years. The Orc added 30', but now its mostly been phased out by the Wraith.

Also agree that its nice there are a variety of stability progressions available for different throwing types. For one person, it might go Leopard, Roadrunner, TL, Wraith, TeeRex. For another it might be Stingray, Sidewinder, Beast, Starfire.

Are 10 different drivers entirely necessary? No, but they can definitely increase your percentage of success. I'd rather be able to throw a Firebird for a sharp hyzer fade than trying to finesse my Wraith to do it and risk a mid-flight flip or having it go too far, both of which are errors the Firebird can mask.
KePP

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:48 am

KePP wrote:
irban wrote:There has definitely been progress. For me, the Orc was a boost over the T-bird, and the Wraith soon replaced my Orc. But there is a lot of overlap, and every mold offers something to some people and not to others.

Agreed, I went through the exact same progression. Teebird was the disc of choice for many years. The Orc added 30', but now its mostly been phased out by the Wraith.

...And will probably be fased out by the Destroyer.

Are 10 different drivers entirely necessary? errors the Firebird can mask.

Your saying it yourself. It is necessary. Otherwise people would actually have to practice. If not its a luxury, and there isnt anything wrong with that.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:10 am

Lets say for sake of arguement they are copied discs. Wouldnt that make the most sense?

I mean, your coming online and basically slamming someone for not putting thousands of dollars in design tech and thousands more in advertising to put out the exact same thing. What Discraft is doing is smart, maybe not the most creative, but smart. If Gateway followed suit, they would sell alot more discs more than once, that and if they could come remotely close to replicating the same discs. One thing Gateway does have is originality. People have been copying Dave Mac ( Spirit/SD ) for awhile, but he just doesnt have the money or people on hand to say "Go take a tweek here and there and get this nose up a little more" like the other companies have. He almost had it with Quest, but that guy was retarded and would rather make discs like "The Wheel" and the "10M Brick" which does nothing but present your business as a joke to the masses of tourney players/ PDGA members who are herded daily into the advertising toliet.

Personally, I dont think Discraft fully copies anything. Maybe some of the older stuff, somewhat, but there are tweeks that make them different discs, like it or not. There is no disc I can think of offhand that is an exact replica, its more like " this flies LIKE a Leopard " ( Which it dont. ) or "this is Discrafts Wraith" ( Which it is not ) or most recently "This is thier answer to the Destroyer" ( Which it aint. )

The problem for most people, myself included, is that the flight chart in my mind was designed by Innova. Thats all I have known since the beginning. If I had started on Discraft, I may think the exact opposite way. Id still think Innova was ahead on exposure and advertising, and Id still think we are a nation of sheep, but I may have a little more open mind to the discs, and actually throw them to determine thier flight lines before comparing it to a disc that it isnt.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby The Donator » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 am

porkchop wrote:And then he went back down the chart with this......
The Donator wrote:And seriously are any of these new drivers any different from any previous ones? Whats the diff between a destroyer/wraith/beast/starfire/etc? THeyre all the Chuckin same.....

I really havent noticed any difference at all between the Destroyer and a Beast and a Wraith. Trust me, i know my discs. Guess I got a bad one then? It is Pink....oh and ROFLMFAO at my point and twisting it to a point of trying to put Chase out of business, gtfo with that junk
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby geoffreylaw » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 am

The Donator wrote:I really havent noticed any difference at all between the Destroyer and a Beast and a Wraith. Trust me, i know my discs.

Dude, I'm not a pro or even an advanced player but there is definitely a difference between a Wraith and a Beast(i haven't thrown a destroyer). The stabilities are WAY different. You might have bad disc's or you might be crazy. :shock:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 pm

There is a difference among all of those drivers. I am of the thuoght that I understand Innova's chart, I understand Discraft's, and am unsure if GW has one. But I do know they all have their place, and being open to throwing any of them will help open up a person's game.

I just hope that Discraft didn't make their name by copying Innova's designs. It was a worry I had when making the original post about that earlier. Maybe I'm jsut taking the "it's their answer to XX", and having the mould look almost the same.
Last edited by ghstinshll on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby AO » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:09 pm

Copying what? If you look at the Force it is an bigger Surge. The mold from the Surge was extended and you can actually see a line on the bottom part of the rim how much they widened the rim.
AO

Postby geoffreylaw » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:15 pm

On another note, I got a chance to throw the Force yesterday(both white and orange). I really like the white one and as AO said, the orange Force is quite a bit more over-stable but it'll probably work nice into a slight head wind.

/thread jack of a thread jack

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby AO » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Also, for those who have thrown the Force and noticed there is a difference in stability. The difference in stability comes from the cooling process after the disc has been made. Different colors cool at different rates. This leads to how much or how less the disc shrinks. Brian Sullivan told me the orange and yellow are stable because the rim is up making it more stable. The white is less stable and the rim is down almost giving is a SS look/flight, hence a "flippier" or less stable disc. This is the same for all plastic and why golfers look for and throw certain color discs.
AO

Postby KePP » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:51 pm

So the Star Wars thing is just a coincidence? Cuz who doesn't want to name discs after Star Wars... so hot right now, that Star Wars.

To defend my post, "their answer to" doesn't mean the exact same flight pattern, and it doesn't mean "copy" either. I wasn't slamming Discraft, guess that's left up to the interpreter.
KePP

Postby AO » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Who cares what the name/theme is. IMO many discs have dumb names.
AO

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:32 pm

Someone needs to release a disc named "The Schwartz"
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby The Donator » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Ive always wanted to see a "The Dude" and "The Jesus", dont care who puts it out or what they do, its going in the bag. F copyright laws also
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby KePP » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:30 pm

You said it, man...
KePP

PreviousNext

Return to Discraft